Old School UFC Fans - Are we past the Golden Years? - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: The Golden Years of MMA
The Golden Years were back in the 1990s. 8 9.64%
The Golden Years of MMA are right now. 20 24.10%
The Golden Years are ahead of us. 23 27.71%
It's all personal prefrence. 22 26.51%
They are behind us but it happend in Pride not the UFC. 10 12.05%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 AM
JWP
Featherweight
 
JWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,160
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Pride never reached the potential the UFC has today! It's just so much bigger and better. For example you only need to take a look at the current champs let the contenders leave out

oh yeh i totally agree

thats what i meant, its the talent that makes it so gr8 now days - but i liked the spectacle of pride

im also about to start a "get rid of joe rogan and mike goldberg" thread hehe


its just one of those things. im a big football (soccer) person and i will always think the best days are gone, although i think thats probably even more true for football

Favourite Fighters
Anderson Silva
Mark Hunt
Bisping
Fedor
Machida
Pettis
Aldo
McGregor
'John' Wayne Parr
Nathan 'Carnage' Corbett
Bruce Lee
JWP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Pride never reached the potential the UFC has today! It's just so much bigger and better. For example you only need to take a look at the current champs let the contenders leave out


Pride never got to where the UFC is today? If that's what you meant to say you're sorely mistaken. The fanbase for Pride is probably STILL bigger than the fanbase for the UFC, and the UFC is nowhere near close to finding the same quality and quantity of talent.

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: long island NY
Posts: 1,572
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Hate to break it to you but the old UFC was kinda boring, I know blasphemy but if I ever have to sit through Royce Gracie vs Ken Shamrock again I may have to off myself.
And that fight was exciting compared to the Shamrock-Severn 'dance in detroit'. I was hooked from the first time I saw it. And though its not as magical to me anymore, I kinda like it better now. But I do miss the excitement of seeing 1 discipline against another, especially when you didnt know what the style was like. For instance Trap fighter, Pit fighter, Pencak Silat, Sambo etc.
jcal is offline  
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
Pride never got to where the UFC is today? If that's what you meant to say you're sorely mistaken. The fanbase for Pride is probably STILL bigger than the fanbase for the UFC, and the UFC is nowhere near close to finding the same quality and quantity of talent.
I know that Pride fans won't agree with this (and I think you are one of them khov ). It's probably all personal prefrence again for most ppl.

But for me it's fact! Pride was never at the level the UFC has today. I don't talk about fanbase or anything, more about the whole skill level of the fighters, the charakters, the talent involved and so on. Most Pride fighters became UFC fighters, so we have not only the Pride guys but also other fighters from all over the world in one organization called UFC. And most Pride fans are UFC fans now, because many Pride fighters compete in the UFC today.

It's just the biggest stage MMA has seen so far! Pride was good, but the UFC tops everthing so far.
BobbyCooper is offline  
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Lightweight
 
BrutalKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,999
                     
...Personal preference...that's true as well...

...This poll is a good one that makes ya think. I believe we are entering the golden years. There were some memorable early UFC moments but not like today. The great Trilogys. The passing of the torch when Hughes defeated Royce Gracie. Where will the pound for pound fighters be in 3 years from now? The lb 4 lb era has begun. This is the time. Will there ever be another Anderson Silva? GSP? B.J. Penn or even a Fedor? I feel that the sport has nearly evolved into it's completion. I'm sure there will be a few more techniques created. Greg Jackson is a good example. Fighters are covering all the bases and the popularity has globally caught on...

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"...Ralph Waldo Emerson

BrutalKO
BrutalKO is offline  
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
I know that Pride fans won't agree with this (and I think you are one of them khov ). It's probably all personal prefrence again for most ppl.

But for me it's fact! Pride was never at the level the UFC has today. I don't talk about fanbase or anything, more about the whole skill level of the fighters, the charakters, the talent involved and so on. Most Pride fighters became UFC fighters, so we have not only the Pride guys but also other fighters from all over the world in one organization called UFC. And most Pride fans are UFC fans now, because many Pride fighters compete in the UFC today.

It's just the biggest stage MMA has seen so far! Pride was good, but the UFC tops everthing so far.

Most of the UFC's top talent is from pride... Only GSP, Lesnar, Randy, and Penn essentially are purebred UFC champions, and even Penn is only kind of. There's others but for the most part top UFC talent is from Pride.

Besides maybe WW, Pride's divisions were simply more stacked and put on consistently top talent fights. They had more background on their fights and a WAY better eye for rising talent.

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Curitiba Food and Liquor
 
swpthleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16,176
Blog Entries: 14
                     
However, since Pride is no more, we have to content ourselves with Dream or World Victory Road.

But that's another thread. In another section of this forum.


Sig Credit to Toxic
swpthleg is offline  
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Welterweight
 
leifdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania/Hawaii
Posts: 2,148
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
There's others but for the most part top UFC talent is from Pride.
Gotta disagree here.
  • Valazaquez never fought in Pride
  • Dos Santos never fought in pride
  • Machida never fought in Pride
  • Mir never fought in Pride
  • Silva didn't reach his prime until coming tot he UFC
  • Marquardt never fought in Pride
  • Florian
  • Koscheck
  • Fitch
  • Alves
  • Belfort started in the UFC went to Pride and is now back home
  • Matt Hughes is no longer a top fighter but was at the time of Pride
  • Rashad Evans
  • Thiago Silva
  • Jon Jones

Supporting BJ Penn-Joe Lauzon-Brock Lesnar-Anderson Silva-Lyoto Machida
ContactSportsNews365
leifdawg is offline  
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Lightweight
 
UFC on VHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,543
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by leifdawg View Post
Gotta disagree here.
  • Valazaquez never fought in Pride
  • Dos Santos never fought in pride
  • Machida never fought in Pride
  • Mir never fought in Pride
  • Silva didn't reach his prime until coming tot he UFC
  • Marquardt never fought in Pride
  • Florian
  • Koscheck
  • Fitch
  • Alves
  • Belfort started in the UFC went to Pride and is now back home
  • Matt Hughes is no longer a top fighter but was at the time of Pride
  • Rashad Evans
  • Thiago Silva
  • Jon Jones
I agree.

I can see why people would prefer Pride FC as an org but in terms of talent I think UFC is better now compared to Pride back in the day. That being said if it still exsisted it would probobly be better than the UFC.

"Silva you got one commin. little ass ninja you better keep your ass down at 185 buddy, cheatin MOTHERFU.....I better watch my language my moms watchin"

- Mark "The Hammer" Coleman
UFC on VHS is offline  
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by leifdawg View Post
Gotta disagree here.
  • Valazaquez never fought in Pride
  • Dos Santos never fought in pride
  • Machida never fought in Pride
  • Mir never fought in Pride
  • Silva didn't reach his prime until coming tot he UFC
  • Marquardt never fought in Pride
  • Florian
  • Koscheck
  • Fitch
  • Alves
  • Belfort started in the UFC went to Pride and is now back home
  • Matt Hughes is no longer a top fighter but was at the time of Pride
  • Rashad Evans
  • Thiago Silva
  • Jon Jones
Thanks for posting this! You pointed it out very nicely
BobbyCooper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome