Alistair Overeem: "I will sign with the UFC immediately under the right term" - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Featherweight
 
Guymay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Israel , Haifa
Posts: 1,039
                     
Alistair Overeem: "I will sign with the UFC immediately under the right term"

Quote:
Dutch striker Alistair Overeem is the current Strikeforce heavyweight champion, however, the champ has not fought in the Strikeforce organization in his last seven fights. Overeem’s last Strikeforce bout was in November of 2007, when he defeated Paul Buentello.

The Strikeforce champion has dropped some interesting news to Fighters Only Magazine.

Overeem says that he would sign with the Ultimate Fighting Championship under the right conditions. He has been in negotiations with the organization before, but the two sides failed to agree to terms.

“I’m not going to discuss the UFC too much with the media. But I will say that when they show me terms I like, I’ll sign,” Overeem said.

“Money is important but it isn’t everything. There are some conditions they have that I don’t like. But like I said, when the terms are right I will sign right away.”

Overeem also stated that his career goal is to beat top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko. Fedor is one of the newest Strikeforce additions, but he is rumored to be fighting Fabricio Werdum in April on a fight card that will be televised on CBS.

That would push a potential Fedor – Overeem match to late 2010.

Overeem seems to be in no rush to fight Fedor. “I am just getting started, I still have six, seven or maybe eight years before retirement,” he said.

If the UFC offers terms that appeal to Overeem, he will likely sign immediately and hope that one day Fedor and the UFC can come to a seemingly impossible agreement.
SOURCE

I Really don't know what to think about him . he's improved in the last 2 years and looked alot better at HW than LHW .
but he usually beat only cans , so it's hard to estimate how he will do in the UFC .

Guymay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Good find.



But man I hate this interview. It's so dumb. I'm a bit of an Overeem fan and I love SF but what he's saying here is SO dumb.


SF's HW division is plenty stacked right now and it has apparently the person he wants to fight the most. But he's unwilling to set the date for the fight and he hasn't defended his title.


What the hell do you want Overeem? Why don't you commit to your current organization instead of talking about the UFC?

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Bantamweight
 
6toes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 967
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
Good find.



But man I hate this interview. It's so dumb. I'm a bit of an Overeem fan and I love SF but what he's saying here is SO dumb.


SF's HW division is plenty stacked right now and it has apparently the person he wants to fight the most. But he's unwilling to set the date for the fight and he hasn't defended his title.


What the hell do you want Overeem? Why don't you commit to your current organization instead of talking about the UFC?
I'd love to see Overeem in the UFC but yeah I see your point. His priority should be getting that fight with Fedor right now.
6toes is offline  
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Welterweight
 
BrianRClover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saint Louis MO
Posts: 2,384
                     
I would be willing to bet that he, like Fedor, doesn't like the fact that he couldn't fight anywhere else if he signed with the UFC. I agree with the above post, defend your "title". He claims he wants to fight Fedor, I would think as the Strikeforce HW champ, and Fedor fighting for Strikeforce all he would have to do is ask.
BrianRClover is offline  
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,723
                     
I'd hate to say it, but Overeem has never seemed at all passionate about fighting in SF. He obviously sees UFC as the place to be, and if signing with Dana and company is what it takes to get him focused and dedicated to MMA, then I'm all for it. I, too, want to see SF build itself up and establish an impressive roster, but I think it has and is continuing to do so without Overeem, so the loss wouldn't be detrimental to the alternative organization whatsoever. On the plus side, it's a great addition to an ever evolving UFC HW division. The potential for classic encounters are endless, and I'd have to imagine that Overeem would be an instant contender, though I have to ask... I've only ever seen him predominantly fight stand-up... how are his ground skills?
Canadian Psycho is offline  
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,805
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
I'd hate to say it, but Overeem has never seemed at all passionate about fighting in SF. He obviously sees UFC as the place to be, and if signing with Dana and company is what it takes to get him focused and dedicated to MMA, then I'm all for it. I, too, want to see SF build itself up and establish an impressive roster, but I think it has and is continuing to do so without Overeem, so the loss won't be detrimental to the alternative organization whatsoever. On the plus side, it's a great addition to an ever evolving UFC HW division. I'd have to imagine that Overeem would an instant contender, though I have to ask... I've only ever seen him predominantly fight stand-up... how are his ground skills?
He's clearly ducking Fedor, he only fights cans all year long. He's going to UFC to duck Fedor, but he's only going to get someone else good. Either way we will all see how junk Overeem is

Intermission is offline  
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
He's clearly ducking Fedor, he only fights cans all year long. He's going to UFC to duck Fedor, but he's only going to get someone else good. Either way we will all see how junk Overeem is
Ouch!

I can't deny he's been mauling cans for the past 2 years in mma.. Whats most impressive to me is that he KO'd badr hari, took remy bonjasky to a decision and beat peter aerts. If you haven't seen those fights give em a watch. I started liking him more after seeing him, especially against remy.



If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline  
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,805
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
Ouch!

I can't deny he's been mauling cans for the past 2 years in mma.. Whats most impressive to me is that he KO'd badr hari, took remy bonjasky to a decision and beat peter aerts. If you haven't seen those fights give em a watch. I started liking him more after seeing him, especially against remy.
But that was K-1 and not MMA. It seems like Strikeforce knows there champ sucks, or else Fedor would be fighting him and not Werdum.. Fedor deserves to be the champ, SF needs to get there shit straight.

Intermission is offline  
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
But that was K-1 and not MMA. It seems like Strikeforce knows there champ sucks, or else Fedor would be fighting him and not Werdum.. Fedor deserves to be the champ, SF needs to get there shit straight.
Indeed. I think overeem should have been stripped quite a while ago, but I also think his striking is vastly improved and could be a potential force at heavyweight.



If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline  
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Dexter Morgan
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,805
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
Indeed. I think overeem should have been stripped quite a while ago, but I also think his striking is vastly improved and could be a potential force at heavyweight.
I somewhat agree. But being the champ you need to fight contenders... Contenders being Fedor, which is something he doesn't want to do. (I don't blame him) But if he doesn't want to defend the belt. He shouldn't have it. Period.

Intermission is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome