Frank Trigg confirms UFC termination, undecided on future plans
by Dann Stupp on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:00 pm ET
It's two and out for UFC welterweight Frank Trigg after his Ultimate Fighting Championship return.
After posting a 6-1 record to earn his way back into the organization and signing a new deal with the UFC in 2009, Trigg was notified on Monday that he had been dropped from the UFC after a knockout loss to Matt Serra at this past weekend's UFC 109 event.
Trigg confirmed the news with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com
) on Wednesday.
Trigg said he held off on sharing the news until he could notify family members. He said he's undecided if he'll pursue opportunities outside the organization.
The former University of Oklahoma wrestler and PRIDE veteran suffered a TKO loss to Josh Koscheck in September; it was Trigg's first fight in the UFC since a submission loss to Georges St-Pierre at UFC 54 in 2005.
With that loss and the subsequent first-round stoppage defeat to Serra, UFC officials elected to cut Trigg from its welterweight roster.
Following that first UFC stint that ran from 2003 to 2005, which included a pair of title losses to then-champ Matt Hughes, Trigg (19-8 MMA, 2-5 UFC) fought for organizations such as Strikeforce, World Victory Road, HDNet Fights and ICON Sport, where he defeated Jason "Mayhem" Miller for the organization's middleweight title.
The 37-year-old fighter and broadcaster then found a new life when he returned to the 170-pound division and strung together wins over the likes of Edwin Dewees, Makoto Takimoto and Falaniko Vitale to earn the new UFC deal. However, as with most fighters, the back-to-back losses prompted the walking papers.
As MMAjunkie.com reported earlier today, the UFC also dropped UFC 109 headliner Mark Coleman and heavyweight Tim Hague following the Feb. 6 event. Phillipe Nover's termination has also since been confirmed.