Boxing : "We must move with the times or the UFC will gobble us up" - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
guam68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 100
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe davola View Post
i think mousasi has a shot but aoki and melendez just haven't faced the same comp as bj and anybody apart from lesnar who is the champ in the ufc is the #1 guy in there weight class, would you say that there is anybody else out there who is better than silva or gsp in there class?
Nope. Totally agree with you. GSP, A. Silva, and Penn all own their respective weight class in or out of the UFC. Im just saying that since there are multiple organizations and a lot of times these fighters don't get a shot at each other, it leaves room for speculation regardless of who they fought.

Its just that in the article the guy was implying there is always one defined champ. I may know. You may know. But what about Joe Blow who sees three different champs in a division and can't tell the difference? (although in reality he'd only have heard about the UFC so thats probably not the best argument)

Non-Paid Fantasy Fight League


Jose Aldo
Hector Lombard
Tyron Woodley
Lyoto Machida
Jake Shields
guam68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:56 PM
DP's Queen
 
Toxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,268
                     
It's definitely refreshing to read such an article.

I was thinking about the issue at hand and realized something. Boxing and WWE failed when it became more about business than sport. Sure, there is business in sport, but it isn't sport anymore once you focus on the business part rather than the sport, it becomes entertainment. I don't want MMA to ever go down that road.



Sig made by the awemazing D.P
Toxie is offline  
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAPPILY RESIDING IN THE SHOGUN ERA
Posts: 689
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by guam68 View Post
Nope. Totally agree with you. GSP, A. Silva, and Penn all own their respective weight class in or out of the UFC. Im just saying that since there are multiple organizations and a lot of times these fighters don't get a shot at each other, it leaves room for speculation regardless of who they fought.

Its just that in the article the guy was implying there is always one defined champ. I may know. You may know. But what about Joe Blow who sees three different champs in a division and can't tell the difference? (although in reality he'd only have heard about the UFC so thats probably not the best argument)
yeah you answered your own question lol but what he really means is, it's that there too many weight classes in boxing you got junior middleweight, middlewieight super middlewight and thats pretty much the same with every class and than on top of that you have about 50 billion different titles in each div.

while in the UFC you only have HW,LHW,MW,WW,LW so it is pretty definite

Last edited by joe davola; 02-25-2010 at 11:03 PM.
joe davola is offline  
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAPPILY RESIDING IN THE SHOGUN ERA
Posts: 689
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxie View Post
It's definitely refreshing to read such an article.

I was thinking about the issue at hand and realized something. Boxing and WWE failed when it became more about business than sport. Sure, there is business in sport, but it isn't sport anymore once you focus on the business part rather than the sport, it becomes entertainment. I don't want MMA to ever go down that road.
yeah but mma has the same system as WWE and thats why so many people hate dana, id say dana is about 60% bus. and 40% mma but sometimes he is all about mma and than other times he is all about bus.
joe davola is offline  
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:08 PM
DP's Queen
 
Toxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,268
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe davola View Post
yeah but mma has the same system as WWE and thats why so many people hate dana, id say dana is about 60% bus. and 40% mma but sometimes he is all about mma and than other times he is all about bus.
That's what bothers me. Dana is always about business, but he's slick and tries to do it seamlessly. If he didn't, the UFC wouldn't be far from what the WWE is like now. Before, the MMA fanbase was much smaller and therefore, much more knowledgeable when taken as a whole. Now, as the fanbase becomes larger, it's only natural that the average level of knowledge lowers. I truly hope that Dana will be smart enough to handle this change correctly for the sport and not for his bank account.



Sig made by the awemazing D.P
Toxie is offline  
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 780
                     
well, the ufc and MMA as a whole is very appealing to someone like me, however, since i watch a lot of ESPN, i know that the most you'll hear about MMA is how its "barbaric" and "brutal" and a lot of old timers talking about how MMA isnt as big as its said to be, and boxing is still the prize fighting sport. dont know if everyone here knows this so ill just post this.

we know the last bit isnt true, but still at least sportscenter recognizes it as legit, Cain knocking out Big Nog was in the top 10 plays of the weekend, sadly it was only at 8

if you think its as bad off as WWE just go over to wrestling forum and see how pissy the average member of the internet wrestling community is. WWE hasnt had a challenge in a while, and even tho TNA wants to be one i dont think they will be able to compete. the fact that everyone knows its fake makes it that much easier to write off from the other sports.

Last edited by Syxx Paq; 02-25-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Syxx Paq is offline  
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 260
                     
A lot of people complain about the weight discrepancy between big and small heavyweights, but as he alluded to, that is what makes MMA more attractive option for casual fans.

When you have 16 weightclasses and four different sanctioning bodies all with their own belts it gets pretty ridiculous, there is a potential there to have 64 different champions on one sport. I mean, some of the weightclasses are seperated by three pounds, three pounds!!!. If anyone could give me a legitimate reason why a pure striking sport with no wrestling or grappling involved needs to separate their fighters in three pound increments, i would like to be informed.
Jimdon is offline  
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAPPILY RESIDING IN THE SHOGUN ERA
Posts: 689
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
A lot of people complain about the weight discrepancy between big and small heavyweights, but as he alluded to, that is what makes MMA more attractive option for casual fans.

When you have 16 weightclasses and four different sanctioning bodies all with their own belts it gets pretty ridiculous, there is a potential there to have 64 different champions on one sport. I mean, some of the weightclasses are seperated by three pounds, three pounds!!!. If anyone could give me a legitimate reason why a pure striking sport with no wrestling or grappling involved needs to separate their fighters in three pound increments, i would like to be informed.
i know it's ******* terrible it seems that all you hav to do is eat a big mac and than you are in a different weight class
joe davola is offline  
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
                     
No doubt that MMA is the fastest growing sport. The UFC is the central organization with all the best fighters. The UFC has destroyed all competitors. And it will devour boxing.
FeedMyLegacy is offline  
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
SpoKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 4,601
                     
I must say this, kinda off topic. Anyone who says Aoki stands no chance against BJ is kind of delusional. Sure, I think he'd get his ass kicked, but Aoki is crazy with his submissions and I think if he managed to get BJ down (This is why I think he'd get his ass kicked) he could sub BJ. I mean, the guy did an inverted gogoplata!!!

On topic, Boxing is dying. No matter what happens, their just delaying the inevitable. MMA has boxing in it and so much more. MMA is the perfect sport in terms of combat. MMA, in a way, has changed the world in the way people look at fighting. Notice on youtube you see a lot less street fighting videos and a lot more backyard MMA videos being made. Even in street fighting vids people are starting to use MMA moves (failing most of the time), not just throwing punches, but setting up punches, clinching, full mounts, all of it. MMA will, in time, be one of the biggest sports the planet has ever seen.


Sweet sig by Life B EZ


I feel like I get paid way to much money, but not enough -Nick Diaz
SpoKen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome