"Sugar" Rashad Evans - Disrespect to the title of Sugar - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 01-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Curitiba Food and Liquor
 
swpthleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16,167
Blog Entries: 14
swpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings System
i posted in another forum that rashad evans was a badass due to being a spartan. HOWEVER much as I admire his skill it's too soon to add any "sugar." those are big gloves to fill

BTW which sugar made roberto duran say "no mas" ??

my man says robinson. I can't remember. it was mentioned on ringside once but I had had a few vodka and diet fake red bulls. BTW diet rock star tastes just like red bull and costs 1/2 as much.

sorry, I digress
swpthleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sensei
 
jamlena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New England (RI)
Posts: 2,359
jamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hugjamlena Needs A Hug
Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg
i posted in another forum that rashad evans was a badass due to being a spartan. HOWEVER much as I admire his skill it's too soon to add any "sugar." those are big gloves to fill

BTW which sugar made roberto duran say "no mas" ??

my man says robinson. I can't remember. it was mentioned on ringside once but I had had a few vodka and diet fake red bulls. BTW diet rock star tastes just like red bull and costs 1/2 as much.

sorry, I digress
Leonard, Robinson had been retired for sometime at that point.
__________________
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?



Favorite Fighters:

Chuck Liddell
Rich Franklin
Diego Sanchez
jamlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 227
cicero1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I think the name Sugar Rashad was given to him by a group of guys that hang out in public washrooms.
cicero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Omaplata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 48
Omaplata has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYKIDD
Your wrong about a few things here.
First, thank you for a cogent argument, instead of just "you're wrong and you suck!" Rep up for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYKIDD
Boxers don't know how to work a clinch. an MMA clinch and Boxing or kickboxing clinch are totaly differnt things.
In my post, I said that kickboxers are generally considered more favourably in MMA because they (kickboxers) can work a clinch. I didn't mean to imply that boxers can work a clinch in the same manner that a kickboxer does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYKIDD
Boxers also can't defend better than MMA fighters. Boxers have big ass 16 ounce gloves that cover way more of their face. And absorbs a huge amount of impact. MMA gloves obviously don't do that. Boxers can get hit way more and not get knocked out because of the reduction in power that boxing gloves provide.
Boxers defend better because boxers punch better. Many MMA fighters are such technically weak strikers they not only rob themselves of potential punching power, they leave themselves wide open for counterpunching. Keith Jardine didn't KO Forrest Griffin because he's a monster puncher - he KOed him because Griffin throws wild hooks and leaves his chin out in the open when he does so, which Jardine was able to capitalize on with an uppercut. Boxers also KO people in spite of wearing 16 oz gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYKIDD
MMA fighters can get in a ring and box with Pro's. Many MMA fighters have professional boxing matches on their resume. Hell even Monson has like a 4-0 professional boxing record. And we all saw how well Monson could throw punches against Sylvia didnt we. Also tons of fighters are kickboxers Kit Cope has quite a few championships actually.
Monson TKOed one guy with a 4-11 record, TKOed one making his debut, and drew against a guy who was 1-1. He's not a boxer - he's a submission wrestler. And Kit Cope is a kickboxer - I'm discussing boxers that trained and competed as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYKIDD
Also the boxers can punch harder and faster comment is also silly. How can you be sure? Do they have a hard punching contest? Or a fast hands contest? Chuck Liddell probably hits as hard as any boxer at 205. Have you ever seen lightwieghts throw down. Their like lighting.
Taking nothing from Liddell, who is legitamately a tough bastard and pound-for-pound probably the best fighter in the world, he has the luxury of tossing with 4 oz gloves against opponents who leave themseleves open due to poor striking and bad footwork. And would you like to see some fast hands? Watch Oscar de la Hoya throw a jab-hook combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYKIDD
Have you seen Marcus Davis fight? He was a boxer with like a 22-2 professional record. A very good boxer. He doesen't dominate anyone with his hands. Even when Shonie Carter was standing and trading with him he couldn't finish him. He got the better of it but Shonie is an old man compared to Davis.
Marcus Davis was a legitimate contender at one time to break into pro boxing before switching to MMA, and would be a good counterpoint to my argument if Marcus Davis still considered himself a boxer and fought like one, which he certainly doesn't. Half his record of wins are taps - guillotines, rear naked chokes, neck cranks and armbars - not what a boxer would traditionally do, but certainly what someone trained in MFS would do - which Davis is. Davis fights like someone who was trained by an MMA academy, and it shows in his style. Davis has't concentrated on boxing and his record shows this.

My point was that a trained boxer would do very well in the UFC. By concentrating on boxing as a primary fighting style and training wrestling, submissions and groundfighting in the background for defensive purposes, they could exploit the striking weaknesses that afflict so many MMA fighters. After all, it works for Chuck Liddell.
__________________
"What's crazy about standin' toe-to-toe and saying 'I am'?"
- Rocky Balboa
Omaplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
The American Psycho
 
Bonnar426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,798
Bonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He CrossesBonnar426 Is Respected By All He Crosses
Rep for you Sherdog. I never thought of the nickname "Sugar" was that important. I just didn't warm up to the name because it didn't seem to fit him. Your argument is very informative.

However, I don't think Rashad was trying to be disrespectful. If he knows the importance of this name, I think it will be his goal to live up to it. Sort of a drive to better himself as a fighter.
__________________
You forget that this isn't just some brutal sport where everyones out to kill each other. Its much more like a game of physical chess.-looney liam
Bonnar426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Curitiba Food and Liquor
 
swpthleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16,167
Blog Entries: 14
swpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings Systemswpthleg Is Beyond A Rankings System
i m pretty sure rashad does not do any yoga to get that incredible extension for kicks to the head.

babalu supposedly does yoga once a week. I find this hard to believe. after trying "power" yoga once I was wondering where the power was.

I will be taking these questions to the training forum cuz they're more appropriate there.

wtf was up with that train wreck herring/obrien fight?
swpthleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
TYKIDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 609
TYKIDD has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaplata
First, thank you for a cogent argument, instead of just "you're wrong and you suck!" Rep up for that.



In my post, I said that kickboxers are generally considered more favourably in MMA because they (kickboxers) can work a clinch. I didn't mean to imply that boxers can work a clinch in the same manner that a kickboxer does.



Boxers defend better because boxers punch better. Many MMA fighters are such technically weak strikers they not only rob themselves of potential punching power, they leave themselves wide open for counterpunching. Keith Jardine didn't KO Forrest Griffin because he's a monster puncher - he KOed him because Griffin throws wild hooks and leaves his chin out in the open when he does so, which Jardine was able to capitalize on with an uppercut. Boxers also KO people in spite of wearing 16 oz gloves.



Monson TKOed one guy with a 4-11 record, TKOed one making his debut, and drew against a guy who was 1-1. He's not a boxer - he's a submission wrestler. And Kit Cope is a kickboxer - I'm discussing boxers that trained and competed as such.



Taking nothing from Liddell, who is legitamately a tough bastard and pound-for-pound probably the best fighter in the world, he has the luxury of tossing with 4 oz gloves against opponents who leave themseleves open due to poor striking and bad footwork. And would you like to see some fast hands? Watch Oscar de la Hoya throw a jab-hook combination.



Marcus Davis was a legitimate contender at one time to break into pro boxing before switching to MMA, and would be a good counterpoint to my argument if Marcus Davis still considered himself a boxer and fought like one, which he certainly doesn't. Half his record of wins are taps - guillotines, rear naked chokes, neck cranks and armbars - not what a boxer would traditionally do, but certainly what someone trained in MFS would do - which Davis is. Davis fights like someone who was trained by an MMA academy, and it shows in his style. Davis has't concentrated on boxing and his record shows this.

My point was that a trained boxer would do very well in the UFC. By concentrating on boxing as a primary fighting style and training wrestling, submissions and groundfighting in the background for defensive purposes, they could exploit the striking weaknesses that afflict so many MMA fighters. After all, it works for Chuck Liddell.
very good post. It's nice to hear people that know what they are talking about. We will just have to agree to disagree. I don't think pure boxers would due that well. The stand up game is different you can't defend the same due to the difference in gloves. A boxer can take a fairly clean shot to the head with out it dropping him but that can't be said for MMA. But I also think Marcus Davis fights the way he fights because sprawling and stopping ground fighters is much harder than people think. A very good sprawl is a difficult skill to master. But again very good post.
TYKIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,449
Rated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really nice
I am out of the loophole a bit. Is this a self-proclaimed "Sugar" or did everyone jump on the bandwagon after his brutal knockout over some nobody?

Evans is like Sanchez, both overrated because of their perfect record. They have yet to fight a top contender to be truly praise-worthy.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Foon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 471
Foon will become famous soon enoughFoon will become famous soon enoughFoon will become famous soon enoughFoon will become famous soon enoughFoon will become famous soon enoughFoon will become famous soon enough
Matt Skelton faught in Pride, he got tapped very early.
Foon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
Damone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like Tuna
"Splenda" Rashad Evans just doesn't have the pizzazz of "Sugar" Ray-Shad Evans.

Diego beat Diaz & Karo. Both were regarded as top WW's at the time(Hell, Karo still is). I don't think he's overrated at all, and is truly getting better. Diego's legit, and Rashad is molding into a really good fighter.
__________________
Damone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios