"Sugar" Rashad Evans - Disrespect to the title of Sugar - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 01-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #41 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
theboz19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 295
theboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hug
Pro boxers do not wear 16 oz gloves.
__________________
THEBOZ

"DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI"
theboz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #42 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 302
samurice has a little shameless behaviour in the past
"Sugar" Rashad is way too corny for my tastes, and it does not flow AT ALL. At the end of the day though, I don't care. I think you're getting carried away because nowadays just about any schmoe can get just about any lame nickname that they choose rather than earning one they deserve. The age of meaningful nicknames is long gone.

Last edited by samurice : 01-29-2007 at 12:55 AM.
samurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
randyspankstito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: eugene, oregon
Posts: 1,673
randyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level nowrandyspankstito is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdog
I'm not sure if many of you guys are boxers or boxing fans, but the title of "Sugar" is highly rated. The title of "Sugar" is given if the boxer has exceptional footwork and blinding hand speed. There are currently three great boxers that have this title: Ray Robinson, Ray Leonard and Shane Mosley. All three of these fighters have accomplish many great feats and stood on the world stage many times.

Ray Robinson's feat: World welterweight champion, 91 win streak, Total fights 202 Wins 175 Wins by KO 108 Losses 19 Draws 6 No contests 2

Ray Charles Leonard’s feat: World welterweight champion, Total fights 40 Wins 36 Wins by KO 25 Losses 3 Draws 1 No contests 0

Shane Mosley's feats: former Lightweight, Welterweight and Jr. Middleweight Champion of the World, Total fights 48 Wins 43 Wins by KO 37 Losses 4 Draws 0 No contests 1

Even a great boxer like Roy Jones Jr. was not given the title of sugar, although he was an undisputed champ in many different weight divisions for a decade. His blazing hand speed was compared to the “Sugars”, however, many debated that he remained unworthy of such a great title – thus never given it.

Now that I have given some information about the title of sugar, I would like to just say that Rashad Evans should not be given this title.

Reasons being:

1. This nick name belongs to boxing not MMA.
2. He doesn’t have neither the hand speed or footwork to be considered a sugar
3. The name after sugar is suppose to be one syllable not two (Ras-had)

Many people probably think that I’m getting too carried away, but for those people that were initially bigger boxing fans than MMA fans, probably feel the same as I do. Don’t get me wrong people, I think Rashad is a good fighter. But I’m afraid that he will soil the legacy of Sugars.
In my opinion, Ray Robinson is the only real "sugar" to have ever held the nickname, there has never been another athlete in boxing like him, the pound for pound greatest of all time. All the sugars that have followed pale in comparison.

For Rashad Evans to have sugar in front of his name is just a total joke, and frankly, it did piss me off when they introduced him as "sugar" Rashad at fight night. I had forgotten about it until I saw the title of this thread.
__________________
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/49a5a6cb.png
Thanks to Plazzman for the sig
randyspankstito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #44 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
sherdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 253
sherdog has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by emry12
um has anybody heard of floyd mayweather
3

Don't even get me started on prettyboy mayweather. He is one of the best pound for pound fighters right now! but this is offtopic
sherdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #45 (permalink)
Bad boys bad boys!
 
pauly_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GY, England
Posts: 2,478
pauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crosses
Its just a word. It doesn't say anywhere that he's called that because its related to boxing. If his nickname was 'the general' or something would you complain that its an insult to high ranking army officers who are outstanding military tactitioners and that Rashads military tactics are good, but not great so he is undeserving of the title?
pauly_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #46 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
sherdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 253
sherdog has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly_j
Its just a word. It doesn't say anywhere that he's called that because its related to boxing. If his nickname was 'the general' or something would you complain that its an insult to high ranking army officers who are outstanding military tactitioners and that Rashads military tactics are good, but not great so he is undeserving of the title?
I don't know how you can say that it isn't related to boxing? I'm not saying that your dumb or anything... actually... wait maybe you are. I'm pretty sure that Rashad doesn't have that title because he is a "Sweet" person.

Here is the definition located in dictionary.com. Most people know what sugar is, but for the others that don’t know…
Sugar - a sweet, crystalline substance, C12H22O11, obtained chiefly from the juice of the sugarcane and the sugar beet, and present in sorghum, maple sap, etc.: used extensively as an ingredient and flavoring of certain foods and as a fermenting agent in the manufacture of certain alcoholic beverages; sucrose.

You can take this in two different approaches:
1. Rashad’s title was derived from the boxing nick
2. Rashad was given this title because he is a sweet person

Many people here have a pretty solid argument - "It's just a nick name" or "He simply deserves it." I won't argue against that because if I wasn't such a large boxing enthusiast I would agree with them. But no one has yet to say that sugar has no relation to boxing because that would be utterly stupid. Even if a person has a nickname like the "general", there should be some relation. He/She should have some leadership/tactically ability. Let us look at a few nick names:

Rush – Explosive power
Rampage – destructive
Iceman – Cold hearted or puts his opponents on ice
Muscle Shark – Really strong, aggressive as a shark

As you can see here, fighters are not given nicknames by there personality. I’m pretty sure that GSP isn’t called rush because he rushes his math homework in the 6th grade. But I want to here your argument? - So are you saying that Rashad’s fighting style is sweet like candy?

As you can see, you have no argument and please don’t change your argument now because you have just realized that your argument has not bases. Please do not post for the sake of posting.

Have a nice day mister
sherdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #47 (permalink)
Das ‹bermensch
 
wukkadb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,633
wukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznmaniac0909
i think sugar rashad evans sounds retarded IMO but like other people said its just a nickname but some times it kinda pisses me off how every fighter has an unoriginal sometimes stupid nickname that doesnt personally mean anything to them its like they wanted one just for the sake of having one also IMO roy jones in his prime was better than any of the sugars
i agree, i think you shouldn't force a nickname it just ends up sounding gay
__________________



What a stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
The power of Aleks, his small baby and pimp hardcore dogs has granted you useful insight, my friend.
wukkadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
Bad boys bad boys!
 
pauly_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GY, England
Posts: 2,478
pauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crosses
Its because hes so hot and the same colour as caramalised sugar. You're just being racist.
pauly_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #49 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
sxrxnrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 190
sxrxnrr has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This is a totally silly topic, fighting nick names are names that people give themselves. The 3 sugars you talked about were great champions however they are not the only 3 people with the nickname of sugar.

Does Rashad deserve to be placed with those three champions? No he does not, but if he can call himself what ever he wants.
sxrxnrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios