Anderson Silva fanboy check. How do u think he ranks compared to boxers? - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 93
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmantyson View Post
if the ufc's popularity continues to increase at the rate is has been, maybe we'll see someone w/ top level boxing skills as well as silva's other advantages that u mentioned earlier. it might happen if dana loosens up his pockets.
but right now, maybe belfort or penn, probably belfort, in all honesty, is the closest thing there is to a well rounded, yet dominant in every aspect, fighting machine. yes, belfort isn't fully proven yet but we'll see in a month.
pacmantyson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 93
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Wine View Post
I'm sure once people realise how much of a weapon boxing is, it will become a lot larger part of MMA. No doubt about it. Those who can master the sweet science will do extremelly well against a lot of the stand-up fighters out there.

They just need take down defence and submission defence.

Will still be a long time until top level boxers come over though with proper take down and ground defence, there just isn't the money (paydays for fighters) in MMA due to the monopolistic nature of the UFC.
maybe that 'axis of evil' (3 organizations combined) strikeforce peeps were talking about is a good idea, cuz i don't see dana white's pockets ever loosening.
pacmantyson is offline  
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,115
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmantyson View Post
but right now, maybe belfort or penn, probably belfort, in all honesty, is the closest thing there is to a well rounded, yet dominant in every aspect, fighting machine. yes, belfort isn't fully proven yet but we'll see in a month.
Why did you quote yourself and respond to yourself.

Thats like the equivalent of actually speaking to yourself.
Mckeever is offline  
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 AM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,099
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmantyson View Post
but right now, maybe belfort or penn, probably belfort, in all honesty, is the closest thing there is to a well rounded, yet dominant in every aspect, fighting machine. yes, belfort isn't fully proven yet but we'll see in a month.
Belfort is more of a puncher than a boxer. He has technique, but little actual boxing brains or knowledge. He could really do with some Roach time, he would learn a lot.

Penn has great basic boxing fundamentals as far as punching technique, but he lacks combination punching, footwork and angles. This is where Edgar exposed him. I really wish Penn used more of his world class Jiu Jitsu, because his Jits is as good as it gets. 3 years and wins a world championship in Brazil, WHOA!

Last edited by Fine Wine; 12-18-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Fine Wine is offline  
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 93
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeever View Post
Why did you quote yourself and respond to yourself.

Thats like the equivalent of actually speaking to yourself.
because i can do about anything i want online. nothing really matters on here. it was easier than editing my previous post.
pacmantyson is offline  
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:12 AM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,613
                     
Pure boxing defence, footwork and stance is next to useless in MMA. This has been established time and time and time and time again. If boxing was such an awesome tool, James Toney would be HW champion. But he isnt. Instead he got humiliated.

Stupid thread.
Soojooko is offline  
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 93
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Wine View Post
Belfort is more of a puncher than a boxer. He has technique, but little actual boxing brains or knowledge. He could really do with some Roach time, he would learn a lot.

Penn has great basic boxing fundamentals as far as punching technique, but he lacks combination punching, footwork and angles. This is where Edgar exposed him. I really wish Penn used more of his world class Jiu Jitsu, because his Jits is as good as it gets. 3 years and wins a world championship in Brazil, WHOA!
well, if u equate footwork w/ boxing brains, then yeah, belfort hasn't shown great footwork. on the other hand, he tends to end things so quick, who would ever know what kind of footwork he has? i've seen penn's training video's where he displayed great combos but i don't remember him transfering that to the cage.
pacmantyson is offline  
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:24 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,115
                     
You have to bare in mind that putting together combinations with your hands in MMA is very risky. If you look to fire off a 4-6 punch combo there is a great chance of you getting clinched or take down.

There arnt many fighters i can think of who put together strings of combinations on a consistent basis.
Mckeever is offline  
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:26 AM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,613
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeever View Post
You have to bare in mind that putting together combinations with your hands in MMA is very risky. If you look to fire off a 4-6 punch combo there is a great chance of you getting clinched or take down.

There arnt many fighters i can think of who put together strings of combinations on a consistent basis.
Agreed. Some of Alves punch & kick combos against Howard were pretty tasty. But even then we are talking a couple of punches and a single kick.
Soojooko is offline  
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 93
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
Pure boxing defence, footwork and stance is next to useless in MMA. This has been established time and time and time and time again. If boxing was such an awesome tool, James Toney would be HW champion. But he isnt. Instead he got humiliated.

Stupid thread.
stupid reply. i don't agree with the 'boxing stance won't work in mma' idea that mma fans like to throw around. for one thing, all it takes is a hard well timed hook to put a shooting fool on his ass. boxing footwork is useless in mma? totally lame idea. james toney isn't hw champ because he's an old out of shape has been who's merely after some extra cash. it seems like i remember ray mercer doing pretty well during his short stint in mma.
pacmantyson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome