Does Physical Appearance Count for More than it Should in the UFC - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Flyweight
 
Spartan42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 360
 
Does Physical Appearance Count for More than it Should in the UFC

It seems to me lately that the UFC has been going after new fighters that (while they are amazing fighters as well) are chosen because they have a better physical appearance. It seems that maybe they are trying to bring in a new wave of guys to potentially replace people like sylvia who (while I cant stand him) is a champ for a reason but looks quite soft and out of shape. So my question for all of you is whether or not you think these assumptions are correct and if so are they justified?
Spartan42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Megaweight
 
kds13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 5,148
Blog Entries: 11
                     
to answer your question in one word: no.

they didnt bring in cro cop because he looks physically good. they brought him in cause dana is dedicating himself to getting the best fighters. cro cop is the #2 heavyweight in the world. i think dana could care less what fighters look like, he cares how they perform.

kds13 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Bantamweight
 
TYKIDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 609
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan42
It seems to me lately that the UFC has been going after new fighters that (while they are amazing fighters as well) are chosen because they have a better physical appearance. It seems that maybe they are trying to bring in a new wave of guys to potentially replace people like sylvia who (while I cant stand him) is a champ for a reason but looks quite soft and out of shape. So my question for all of you is whether or not you think these assumptions are correct and if so are they justified?
NO i think that is crazy. Mirko is a stud. physical appearance or not. they got him because he is the second best HW in the world. They got Rampage because he is a very good LHW who holds a win over chuck. That would set up a rematch that would sell. The UFC picks up guys who can fight or guys who fight with excitement.
TYKIDD is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Welterweight
 
Calibretto9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,218
                     
I don't think so.

I think that the level of athletes competing is rising, and because of that you're getting more and more guys who are extremely "cut." Basically, if you train regularly and eat well, you'll be in good shape. But, if you train insanely hard and are very picky about what you eat, you're going to come out extremely cut. Basically, the harder you work, the more your body is going to reflect that. Now that the UFC is bringing in more money and popularity, guys are working harder to be the best they can and therefore look more buff.

But, I don't think the UFC is recruiting based on looks. Different guys shape up in different ways. Some guys get the chisseled look to them, while other guys get "loaf" style muscles that aren't impressive to look at but are very strong. Just look at Fedor - You can tell he's in shape, but he's not impressive to look at. But, get in the ring with him and you'll suddenly realize just how strong he is.
Calibretto9 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 379
 
@ tuf 5 tryouts they were sending people home if you werent attacking constantly(if you stalled and the other person couldnt progress out, or if you didnt try to aggressivley get to a more dominant position.) >>> They want guys who are active on the ground so no they want the best fighters possible.
kyle1 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Bad boys bad boys!
 
pauly_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GY, England
Posts: 2,477
                     
There are loads of uggerz fighters. Jason Macdonnald is ripped as sh!t but look at his face.
pauly_j is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 379
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibretto9
I don't think so.

I think that the level of athletes competing is rising, and because of that you're getting more and more guys who are extremely "cut." Basically, if you train regularly and eat well, you'll be in good shape. But, if you train insanely hard and are very picky about what you eat, you're going to come out extremely cut. Basically, the harder you work, the more your body is going to reflect that. Now that the UFC is bringing in more money and popularity, guys are working harder to be the best they can and therefore look more buff.

But, I don't think the UFC is recruiting based on looks. Different guys shape up in different ways. Some guys get the chisseled look to them, while other guys get "loaf" style muscles that aren't impressive to look at but are very strong. Just look at Fedor - You can tell he's in shape, but he's not impressive to look at. But, get in the ring with him and you'll suddenly realize just how strong he is.
So by your theory fedor doesnt work hard? LOOKING LIKE A BODY BUILDER DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH STRENGTH NOR PHYSICAL ABILITY.

Most of the time unless you diet to cut down bf most fighters like to stay at or around 10-13% because it decreases the chance of injury and your body doesnt go through the wear and tear of cutting.

And most of the guys that are ripped are built that way, eco's that bulked up as oppossed to endo's like fedor. Bodybuilders muscle is pretty PRETTY DAMNNN useless.

Last edited by kyle1; 02-05-2007 at 01:59 PM.
kyle1 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Featherweight
 
Grotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: England
Posts: 1,374
                     
Just take a look at Cabbage, Buentello, not exactly buff but they have the strength, i dont think the UFC are after body builders just people that fight.

TEAM GROTTY 2013
Stefan Struve
Donald Cerrone
Glover Texiera
Cub Swanson
Kim Dong - Hyun.
Grotty is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Welterweight
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 2,163
Blog Entries: 4
                     
Two words... Tito OrtizThe deude has a melon on him that looks like it belongs in the Cro Magnon section of a museum so I do not think it is about looks.

Plus a fighter in many cases has a tendency to be in shape as for facial features givr a fightyer a few years good looks more then likely will not last.

RGDA TN Web Site

My BJJ and MMA Blog

BJJ Board

Use No Way as Way, Have No Limitation as Limitation.
Vincere Vel Mori

Yea I still exist.
The Don is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Lightweight
 
attention's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,981
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1
So by your theory fedor doesnt work hard? LOOKING LIKE A BODY BUILDER DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH STRENGTH NOR PHYSICAL ABILITY.

Most of the time unless you diet to cut down bf most fighters like to stay at or around 10-13% because it decreases the chance of injury and your body doesnt go through the wear and tear of cutting.

And most of the guys that are ripped are built that way, eco's that bulked up as oppossed to endo's like fedor. Bodybuilders muscle is pretty PRETTY DAMNNN useless.
Absolutely!

In most cases the extra muscle on the arms and forearms actually poses a hinderance because it takes away speed and increases weight to throw...
Extra muscle kills your cardio as you gotta feed oxygen to all that extra bulk...

Fighters look lean to optimize their power/weight ratio... not for cosmetic appearance... althought I think some fighters do it anyways...

Sure it may help your marketability, but if you lose all your bouts how marketable are you
attention is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome