***OFFICIAL*** Evan Dunham vs. Melvin Guillard Pre/Post Fight Discussion - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Evan Dunham 28 57.14%
Melvin Guillard 21 42.86%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,893
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
I agree, Dunham would be smart to grapple with him as he has the distinct advantage. I just don't see why Guillard should be a feared striker. Anyone with power should be respected for what they could do. But I think Dunham could outstrike him, perhaps not finish him standing...but he could out strike him. It isn't the smarter way to try to win that fight but I don't see Guillard as some real good striker.
What has Evan Dunham done that would prompt you to beleive that he can outstrike Melvin Guilard??

You know that Melvin Guillard is the only fighter to stop Dennis Siver with strikes right?


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Ultra-weight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spokane
Posts: 6,091
                     
Melvin is not that great, again he's got speed and power but its like mickey mouse wielding he-man's sword. Nate was able to stand with him and started to really turn it on.

Let me be more clear I didn't say he should stand and trade but he can and IMO should win the stand up by fighting smart.

Melvin is not only a underachiever your overrating him as well. Dose he have a KO/tko to be proud of? You know, a win thats says hay not only can I KO scrubs but I can KO competitors like maybe a top ten guy? The answer is no he doesn't and I dont think he'll get that win against Dunham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RIVAL_ View Post
What has Evan Dunham done that would prompt you to beleive that he can outstrike Melvin Guilard??

You know that Melvin Guillard is the only fighter to stop Dennis Siver with strikes right?
Im not sure why someone like Dennis Silver, a nobody who's beaten nobody and been beaten by more than one nobody, how can he be used as a measuring stick for anything?

I like Melvin he always looks like he's right on the edge of putting the pieces together but has never once delivered when I thought he could have and Jackson probably wont be able to change anything enough to matter.

"I fear no man, but Jim Harrison and Mike Stone are the two last men that I would wish to meet in an alley fight. Jim Harrison's fighting style is not flamboyant or spectacular, it's just simple and deadly!" - Bruce Lee sakurabushidokan.homestead.com
slapshot is online now  
post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Kneel Before Christ!
 
Roflcopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,024
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Melvin is not that great, again he's got speed and power but its like mickey mouse wielding he-man's sword. Nate was able to stand with him and started to really turn it on.

Let me be more clear I didn't say he should stand and trade but he can and IMO should win the stand up by fighting smart.

Melvin is not only a underachiever your overrating him as well. Dose he have a KO/tko to be proud of? You know, a win thats says hay not only can I KO scrubs but I can KO competitors like maybe a top ten guy? The answer is no he doesn't and I dont think he'll get that win against Dunham.


Im not sure why someone like Dennis Silver, a nobody who's beaten nobody and been beaten by more than one nobody, how can he be used as a measuring stick for anything?

I like Melvin he always looks like he's right on the edge of putting the pieces together but has never once delivered when I thought he could have and Jackson probably wont be able to change anything enough to matter.
This is a ridiculous statement. Way to avoid the question as well. Guillard has double digit kos, including several in the UFC, include punches and knees to the body, one punch KOs. He also outpointed Jeremy Stephens, a fighter known almost exclusively for striking ability, and KO'd Siver, another big striker. Second of all, I recommend contacts, as glasses are becoming out of style if you think Diaz was winning that fight before Melvin dove into a guillotine. He completely was outclassing Diaz, Diaz only has a sturdy chin to thank for not being knocked out.

Dunham has stopped two nobodies who will never get anywhere near the Octagon for the rest of their lives unless they buy a ticket, and busted up an old ass non-striker in Sherk coming off a huge layoff and apparently now he's Manny Pacquiao.

Furthermore, your logic is so poor it makes my brain hurt. Top 10 ranking =/= Ability.

This is like saying Brock Lesnar can outstrike JDS because JDS has only struck guys outside of the top 10, like Yvel and Cro Cop.

But Lesnar KO'd Couture! And he was the champ!


Last edited by Roflcopter; 01-15-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Roflcopter is offline  
post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,893
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Im not sure why someone like Dennis Silver, a nobody who's beaten nobody and been beaten by more than one nobody, how can he be used as a measuring stick for anything?

I like Melvin he always looks like he's right on the edge of putting the pieces together but has never once delivered when I thought he could have and Jackson probably wont be able to change anything enough to matter.
We're not talking about who Dennis Siver has beaten. We are talking striking pedigree.

And Dennis Siver is a powerful LW striker. Champion kickboxer in his country. And Melvin shut him down and sent him home.

So when people say that Melvin hasn't stopped somebody known for their striking they need to look at that fight.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: tomball tx
Posts: 8
                     
Dunham by tko. Bold prediction but i feel hes improved enough in the stand up aspect and if he cant stand with him he'll submit him

Last edited by bigwood103; 01-15-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: didnt mean to say you
bigwood103 is offline  
post #16 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
I feel like Melvin wins this one!

His TDD is strong and even if Dunham get's him down, I don't see why Melvin shouldn't be able to get back up again. He's a top notch athlet.

And on the feet, Melvin is far ahead in my mind!
BobbyCooper is offline  
post #17 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,550
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RIVAL_ View Post
We're not talking about who Dennis Siver has beaten. We are talking striking pedigree.

And Dennis Siver is a powerful LW striker. Champion kickboxer in his country. And Melvin shut him down and sent him home.

So when people say that Melvin hasn't stopped somebody known for their striking they need to look at that fight.
Siver has won like twice as many fights by submission than TKO/KO. He may have backgrounds, but it doesn't translate to MMA that well. Ross Pearson was able to stand with him.

Guillard is more dangerous on the feet than he is on the ground. But he isn't a world beater striking. His striking is actually pretty sloppy.
jonnyg4508 is offline  
post #18 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:28 AM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,893
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Siver has won like twice as many fights by submission than TKO/KO. He may have backgrounds, but it doesn't translate to MMA that well. Ross Pearson was able to stand with him.
You've got to be kidding me. You're saying that just because Dennis Siver is well rounded and has more wins by submission that his striking pedigree doesn't traslate well into his MMA? Tell me I didn't hear that right.

SIver's a beast with his stand up. German kickboxing champion clean crisp and powerful and Melvin was able to blast him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Guillard is more dangerous on the feet than he is on the ground. But he isn't a world beater striking. His striking is actually pretty sloppy.
Melvin Guillard does not have sloppy striking. He has super heavy hands, is very explosive and is very hard to hit.

You do realize that in 38 professional fights Melvin Guillard has never been stopped with strikes.... And he stands with everybody he can. For a guy with "sloppy striking" he must be pretty damn lucky than becuase this guy doesn't make it a habit to instigate takedowns...

He stands and bangs. And he KOs alot of opponents.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #19 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Flyweight
 
tap nap or snap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: barbados
Posts: 283
                     
IMHO melvin has some of the best striking at LW, he uses all limbs well, has great power and speed, and great elusiveness. his fight with stephens showed his technical side.
If dunham tries to stand and trade he's be schooled all night and maybe ko'ed.

melvin has ok TDD and poor sub defense. jackson seems to have pluged the hole that was his poor cardio, what remains is to see where his sub defense is.

I think this fight depends on what melvin turns up, and if he's evolved any ground game.

fighters I like
145 Jose Aldo
155 Melvin Guillard
170 Carlos Condit
185 Anderson Silva
205 Jon Jones/Machida
265 Alistair Overeem/Frank Mir
tap nap or snap is offline  
post #20 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Ultra-weight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spokane
Posts: 6,091
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflcopter View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. Way to avoid the question as well. Guillard has double digit kos, including several in the UFC, include punches and knees to the body, one punch KOs. He also outpointed Jeremy Stephens, a fighter known almost exclusively for striking ability, and KO'd Siver, another big striker. Second of all, I recommend contacts, as glasses are becoming out of style if you think Diaz was winning that fight before Melvin dove into a guillotine. He completely was outclassing Diaz, Diaz only has a sturdy chin to thank for not being knocked out.

Dunham has stopped two nobodies who will never get anywhere near the Octagon for the rest of their lives unless they buy a ticket, and busted up an old ass non-striker in Sherk coming off a huge layoff and apparently now he's Manny Pacquiao.

Furthermore, your logic is so poor it makes my brain hurt. Top 10 ranking =/= Ability.

This is like saying Brock Lesnar can outstrike JDS because JDS has only struck guys outside of the top 10, like Yvel and Cro Cop.

But Lesnar KO'd Couture! And he was the champ!
Its not ridiculous its true, the fighters he has ko'd are B class at best, you just think you see a opportunity to prove me wrong. Point me to a fighter thats RELEVANT that he ko/tko'd... If you cant and you cant then his only real tests striking have been Fisher and Melven and he lost to both along with gray, sorry but unless his game improves a great deal there is no way he should be considered a top striker at LW especially when you consider all the strikers in the division with him.

As far as Daiz and the glasses its not like your opinion has any value, just your opinion on Sherk shows how simple minded you are so why would I care what you think? You might be the one person on this forum I fee has absolutely nothing worth reading.

Silver was beat by Ross Pearson another b class fighter, point blank he's not going to be a top striker and I doubt he's ever going to get a title shot because he cant beat/out strike the top five fighters.

Sherk may not be the best striker but he's not the worst and he'd take silver down and smash him.

Jeremy Stephens is who you think of when someone says dominant striker in the division?

I get the impression your brain hurts a lot when you try to wrap your mind around logic of any kind TBH.

Melvin has to keep the fight standing something he's not that good at right now, his TDD is average and his ground game needs a ton of work that means he'll be fighting defensively and that means he has to change his striking, that should allow Dunham to be more competitive standing.

"I fear no man, but Jim Harrison and Mike Stone are the two last men that I would wish to meet in an alley fight. Jim Harrison's fighting style is not flamboyant or spectacular, it's just simple and deadly!" - Bruce Lee sakurabushidokan.homestead.com
slapshot is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome