Is Jon Jones Winning The Belt Bad For MMA? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: what do you think?

bones is an anomaly, its not like any bum can come into MMA and be a world champ 24 31.17%
yes, it would be bad for MMA to have a guy so inexperienced be the champ 2 2.60%
it doesnt matter how long someone trains, if the guy's a good fighter he's a good fighter 30 38.96%
its like the brock situation all over again 6 7.79%
haters gonna hate 15 19.48%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Photobucket
 
Machida Karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arizona!
Posts: 3,570
Machida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For GreatnessMachida Karate Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Mercy View Post
The hybridization of the sport has already begun.

Generation 1 was style vs style. Since the beginning of time till 1993.
Generation 2 was the beginning of the amalgation of the ground and striking techniques. 1995 - 2000
Generation 3 2000 - 2007 - was the well roundedness of ALL fighters.

Generation 4 2008 - Present - Incorporation of all techniques (BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, plus other art forms), focus on conditioning, and executing tactical + strategical game plans.
Most MMA fighters are in this category now, but only Anderson Silva, GSP, and Jose Aldo have achieved mastery at this level.

Generation 5 - All of the above + extreme naturally physically gifted traits. High Intelligence Quotient. Extreme mental toughness. Strong faith in religion.
- JBJ ???

Generation 6 - Scientific breakdown of everything (nutrition, training, fighting, blood type, disease, genetics - EUGENICS) and molding of the perfect fighter at a very young age.

Jon Jones is a rare exception in that he his humble, naturally gifted, and has a stellar camp behind him. Brock was a brute who was quite one dimensional.

So my answer is no I do not believe it is bad for MMA at all. He respects the sport. However he is still green and has much to learn. I would like to see Shogun take this.
Good post, but i want JBJ to kick his ass lol, just because when i watch JBJ fight its someone more special to me then Shogun
__________________
Sig credit to my Homie! limba!

Uncrowned P4P Kingpin
Jon "Bones" Jones
WAR ANTHONY PETTIS! WAR HENDERSON!
Machida Karate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,669
MrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Mercy View Post
The hybridization of the sport has already begun.

Generation 1 was style vs style. Since the beginning of time till 1993.
Generation 2 was the beginning of the amalgation of the ground and striking techniques. 1995 - 2000
Generation 3 2000 - 2007 - was the well roundedness of ALL fighters.

Generation 4 2008 - Present - Incorporation of all techniques (BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, plus other art forms), focus on conditioning, and executing tactical + strategical game plans.
Most MMA fighters are in this category now, but only Anderson Silva, GSP, and Jose Aldo have achieved mastery at this level.

Generation 5 - All of the above + extreme naturally physically gifted traits. High Intelligence Quotient. Extreme mental toughness. Strong faith in religion.
- JBJ ???

Generation 6 - Scientific breakdown of everything (nutrition, training, fighting, blood type, disease, genetics - EUGENICS) and molding of the perfect fighter at a very young age.

Jon Jones is a rare exception in that he his humble, naturally gifted, and has a stellar camp behind him. Brock was a brute who was quite one dimensional.

So my answer is no I do not believe it is bad for MMA at all. He respects the sport. However he is still green and has much to learn. I would like to see Shogun take this.
Generation 5 - IQ and athletic prowess aren't synonymous. Are you saying JBJ V Shogun is will come down to whose thinking about god more? I guess Generation 5 seems partially correct.

Generation 6 - WTF? Please, go in to detail about this genetically made MMA fighters, especially blood type (wtf?).

In reatlity - The next generation = money, better athletes starting MMA at younger age, ***preventing the sport from becoming like M-1 style/boxing promotion
MrObjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Big Dawg
 
Ruckus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 911
Ruckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He CrossesRuckus Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey_j View Post
the guy is a future champion, but would it be bad for mma if he won the belt this early?

2 years ago, the guy was learning moves off of f*cking youtube videos and now he's fighting for the belt. so how the hell does someone so young and inexperienced come into the deepest, toughest division in MMA and run through everyone? he's a freak athlete yes, but something like this would NEVER happen in any other sport. it would never happen in boxing or basketball or track and field. you have to train for years and years to get elite at those sports..

so why is MMA different?
In no way could I see JBJ winning the belt as a bad thing. As stated sevral times in previous posts, he is not just some run of the mill fighter vaulted to the top. If anything, he was kind of held back from the spot light for a little bit. From the beginning his raw natural talent was apparent very early on and he has begun to be a student of the sport.

Normally I would not even venture into other sports but it was mention that this would NEVER happen in other sports. Aside from the boxing analogies, there are just a few others too name. Barry Sanders had 1750 total yards and 14 TD in his rookie season. Some running backs don't even do that in a career. Michael Jordan dropped 63 on the mighty Celtics during the playoffs of his second season, after missing 64 games with a broken ankle, Albert Pujols batted .329 with 37 home runs and 130 RBI in his rookie season. All three of those are freaks in their own respected sports, clearly showing that every now and than there are just special athletes that come along. Is JBJ one of them? We will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machida Karate View Post
Exactly JBJ isn't your normal person and it will show that Natural Talent to his level can be greater to the extent that he can beat guys that should have WAY better skills and trained more hours then he was born, and still get ran right through...

Its amazing, i dont see him anything like Bruce Lee but i think he is a perfect example of what Bruce Lee taught about to be the perfect type of fighter. To be like water and have No Style, and Limitless is your Limit,

Love this quote.
__________________
Ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
box
Come and Take em
 
box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,483
box Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crosses
Lebron James went from Highschool basketball to the "title shot" so to speak. That's basically what JBJ is doing, he's that good that he can skip a few steps like college ball.
__________________
_________________________________________________

_________________________________________________
box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 626
SpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to allSpecC is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by box View Post
Lebron James went from Highschool basketball to the "title shot" so to speak. That's basically what JBJ is doing, he's that good that he can skip a few steps like college ball.
This.

Blake Griffin is a freak too.
SpecC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,669
MrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
This.

Blake Griffin is a freak too.
Ditto Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant ... among others.
MrObjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 61
bogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of lightbogey_j is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
In no way could I see JBJ winning the belt as a bad thing. As stated sevral times in previous posts, he is not just some run of the mill fighter vaulted to the top. If anything, he was kind of held back from the spot light for a little bit. From the beginning his raw natural talent was apparent very early on and he has begun to be a student of the sport.

Normally I would not even venture into other sports but it was mention that this would NEVER happen in other sports. Aside from the boxing analogies, there are just a few others too name. Barry Sanders had 1750 total yards and 14 TD in his rookie season. Some running backs don't even do that in a career. Michael Jordan dropped 63 on the mighty Celtics during the playoffs of his second season, after missing 64 games with a broken ankle, Albert Pujols batted .329 with 37 home runs and 130 RBI in his rookie season. All three of those are freaks in their own respected sports, clearly showing that every now and than there are just special athletes that come along. Is JBJ one of them? We will see.




Love this quote.
I see what you're saying but its not the same. Jordan, Sanders, and Pujols played their respective sports their whole lives, and even in their rookie years had already trained years to get to that elite level. 2 years ago, JBJ had NO experience in fighting and was learning moves off of youtube, and now he's contending for a championship.
bogey_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Mad Titan
 
Guy Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Following The Path To Jesus Set By His Disciple Vitor Belfort
Posts: 5,111
Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.Guy Incognito Is among the most hated on the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey_j View Post
I see what you're saying but its not the same. Jordan, Sanders, and Pujols played their respective sports their whole lives, and even in their rookie years had already trained years to get to that elite level. 2 years ago, JBJ had NO experience in fighting and was learning moves off of youtube, and now he's contending for a championship.
wrestling.
__________________
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
hardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hughardbodyheath Needs A Hug
If we are being honest Mma is still too new to be considered an elite sport with elite athletes. Pro wrestlers just can't decide I wanna be an Nfl qb then lead the Cowboys to a superbowl. In mma it is still new so people can pick it up later in life and still become a champion.
__________________
WWW.YOBT.COM


HOW DO I PUT A PIC OF A FIGHTER HERE? I WANT A COOL ONE. A PIC OF SOMEONE WHO IS RIPPED WITH GREAT ABS LIKE SOME OF THE OTHER MEMBERS HAVE
hardbodyheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila,Philippines
Posts: 15
Cervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enoughCervclash will become famous soon enough
no question if a guy beats the champion then he's champion.Bad for MMA? no because Bones beat alot of good fighters to get there
Cervclash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios