Martin Kampmann's Fighter IQ [Spoiler] - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,848
                     
Martin Kampmann's Fighter IQ [Spoiler]

With Martin Kampmann's preformance tonight, and past preformances, I'm almost positive that he has one of the worst fighter IQ's I've ever seen. Even before the fight with Diego tonight, I predicted Kampmann would lose. I actually made a lot of money off of Diego Sanchez tonight. People would look at me, my husband in particular and say "You're ******* insane! Kampmann has so many more tools than Diego, better ground game, better striking, more power, etc" well everyone forgot that Kampmann's fighter IQ is the equivalent of Brick Tamblin's. You would think that after mauling Diego in that first round he would have gone for the finish. Nope. Getting into wild brawls in the second round where you're facing a guy that has rudimentary, but powerful standup? Hell, why not. Being the obviously stronger fighter and yet failing to push for anything in the final round? Come on. Everyone knows Diego has the best cardio in the business. Why on EARTH would someone try and "outlast" a guy who is going to have better cardio than you?

The same guy who thought he had better standup than Paul Daley, despite Daley having an abysmal ground game that can be easily exploited.

The same guy who thought going toe to toe with Nate Marquardt would be ideal despite looking like a small child compared to him.

The same guy who thought he could outgrapple Jake Shields, probobly the best grappler in MMA aside from Roger Gracie, despite drilling Shields while standing up.

Martin Kampmann, welcome to the company of Dan "I like to stand and bang despite having arguably the best wresstling credentials in MMA" Henderson, Leonard "The Rock Thrower" Garcia, Mike Thomas "Hey! I'll brawl with JOSE ALDO" Brown, Sean "I'm going to try to outbox you even though my reach rivals that of a premature newborn" Sherk.
TanyaJade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Featherweight
 
Iuanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,426
                     
Well, getting into brawls goes hand in hand with going for a finish against Diego Sanchez.

You don't just finish Diego Sanchez without going through some shots first.

I think Kampmann's problem was simply lack of directional movement (as was alot of fighter's tonight it seems)

He got stuck on the cage a couple times instead of circling out. He didn't step out enough and keep the distance like he should have.

So no, he shouldn't really have tried to finish Diego, he doesn't really have to the tools to do so.
Iuanes is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,848
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iuanes View Post
Well, getting into brawls goes hand in hand with going for a finish against Diego Sanchez.

You don't just finish Diego Sanchez without going through some shots first.

I think Kampmann's problem was simply lack of directional movement (as was alot of fighter's tonight it seems)

He got stuck on the cage a couple times instead of circling out. He didn't step out enough and keep the distance like he should have.

So no, he shouldn't really have tried to finish Diego, he doesn't really have to the tools to do so.
He had Diego hurt, and bad.
I personally think that he could have finished the fight in the first round. He was messing Sanchez up. I would bet that Kampmann could outgrapple Diego if he would have taken the fight to the ground as well. It's not even really a matter of Kampmann going for the finish, as much as it was about him lacking killer instinct, and getting too comfortable. If he would have at least tried to finish Diego, I think he would have gotten the decision.
TanyaJade is offline  
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Featherweight
 
Iuanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,426
                     
Meh, get cut up and you're faced pulverized isn't the same things as being rocked. It isn't like Diego was wobbly, backing off, or otherwise showing indications of weakness.
Its' Diego Sanchez, I don't think he's ever been KOed.


Everytime Kampmann got close to Diego, and stayed there awhile Diego went fist a fury, its what impressed the judges and won him the fight.

I agree maybe he could have worked something grappling from those stuffed shots, and I agree Kampmann sometimes gets to complacent, but what cost him was getting to close to Diego, not the other way around.
Iuanes is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:11 AM
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,153
                     
It's true. He had Diego hurt badly. But I knew Diego's conditioning would be the determining factor. He's a machine.

I've never a seen a fighter beat up that badly and actually win...hah...hah! The way he raised both arms in victory with busted up eyes was classic!!!

That's FOTN guaranteed!
No_Mercy is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,848
                     
Which is what I still don't understand about Kampmann.

He had Sanchez hurt.
He should know Diego's cardio is off the charts.
He should have gone for the finish while he had the chance, because Diego was going to come back fresh for round two.

Just establishing my point that Kampmann's fight IQ is absurdly low. He did just about everything wrong in this fight, and deserved to lose.
TanyaJade is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 AM
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,153
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Which is what I still don't understand about Kampmann.

He had Sanchez hurt.
He should know Diego's cardio is off the charts.
He should have gone for the finish while he had the chance, because Diego was going to come back fresh for round two.

Just establishing my point that Kampmann's fight IQ is absurdly low. He did just about everything wrong in this fight, and deserved to lose.
Thing is Kampman did try to finish, but Sanchez is very durable. Look at the Hathaway fight where he ate the knee and especially in the BJ Penn fight. That was a tremendous beating he took yet he still fought on. I was pretty amazed actually. His recovery is like Wolverine; instantaneous.
No_Mercy is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 864
                     
I was telling my bro before the fight that Sanchez would be in it if he was conscious and that he would need to be put out to not have a chance. The Penn fight showed this without a doubt, the dude has a chin.

Martin Kampmann seemed like anvery disciplined and technical fighter, that whole first round and for most of the fight he dictated things and was fighting HIS fight. I'd be hard pressed to say he has terrible fighter IQ but he could benefit from some better gameplanning instead of just implementing his game.

He needs more killer instinct, if anything he looked too complacent and fought too methodical at times which allowed sanchez to get up on him. He stuffed takedowns, held the center, outstruck...the dude fought his fight, the area he lost it was in aggression and getting caught up in a few wild exchanges.
sNuFf_rEaLiTy is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:07 AM
"I <3 Trolls"
 
TraMaI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,923
                     
I whole heartedly disagree. While he has a bit of an ego issue (See vs Daley and Shields) that effects it somewhat, tonight was not a night I'd call his Fighting IQ into question. He had a perfect gameplan for Diego. Use technical boxing, stay on the outside and counter punch his face into oblivion. He stuck to that plan extremely well in all the rounds. The second round was more Diego actually charging headlong into him trying to get inside and brawl with him. He got caught against the fence a bit and paid for it. That's more a testament to Diego's ability than Kampmann's lack-there-of. In the first round he hung back, made Diego miss and destroyed him for it. He did the exact same thing in the third. He probably knew Diego has one hell of a chin and recovery time and recognized that even though he's down, he's still dangerous on the ground. Kampmann knew he had a sizeable advantage standing so he stayed there and chose to pick him apart and light him up, which he did to near perfection for most of the fight.
TraMaI is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 AM
The Mad Titan
 
Guy Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Following The Path To Jesus Set By His Disciple Vitor Belfort
Posts: 5,111
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraMaI View Post
I whole heartedly disagree. While he has a bit of an ego issue (See vs Daley and Shields) that effects it somewhat, tonight was not a night I'd call his Fighting IQ into question. He had a perfect gameplan for Diego. Use technical boxing, stay on the outside and counter punch his face into oblivion. He stuck to that plan extremely well in all the rounds. The second round was more Diego actually charging headlong into him trying to get inside and brawl with him. He got caught against the fence a bit and paid for it. That's more a testament to Diego's ability than Kampmann's lack-there-of. In the first round he hung back, made Diego miss and destroyed him for it. He did the exact same thing in the third. He probably knew Diego has one hell of a chin and recovery time and recognized that even though he's down, he's still dangerous on the ground. Kampmann knew he had a sizeable advantage standing so he stayed there and chose to pick him apart and light him up, which he did to near perfection for most of the fight.
When has dieogo ever been dangerous off his back?

Guy Incognito is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome