What will happen to Women's MMA now that the UFC owns SF - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Squirrel Fighting Champ
 
Squirrelfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,719
Blog Entries: 4
Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
I'd say cut it or have it on as prelims or something. As womens mma goes cyborg is the only legitimate fighter I've ever seen. And people are all over her mad skills.. They are mad skills because she is a she. She doesn't hold a candle to even the mediocre fighters that are her male counterparts. I watch fights to the best fight. Don't get me wrong I enjoy an occasional brawl, but I pay to see the best.
Coenen, Carano, Fujii. Just to name three other legitimate well rounded fighters.

I think they compare remarkably well to their male counterparts by weightclass. (135, 145, 115).
__________________


Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. That’s it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,857
michelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to beholdmichelangelo is a splendid one to behold
The women's divisions will fold once the contracts are up. At that point, some of the smaller promotions will sign cyborg and carano and a few others, so there will still be women's fights somewhere. It will not be on a zuffa stage however.
michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #33 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
Coenen, Carano, Fujii. Just to name three other legitimate well rounded fighters.

I think they compare remarkably well to their male counterparts by weightclass. (135, 145, 115).
i know all three and ive seen them fight, we both know what you just said was a pretty big stretch. coenen and carano, they are pretty well rounded. And Fujii is a wizard on the ground. But these three do not compare like cristiane, who I was only comparing, these three fall short by a distance to even be compared to mediocre male fighters. Megumi is definitely my favorite of the three to watch. And I would watch carano if she fights again, but it wouldnt be entirely for... fighting merit :P
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,669
MrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By AllMrObjective Is Beloved By All
It will disappear.
MrObjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montucky
Posts: 4,441
slapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings Systemslapshot Is Beyond A Rankings System
Dana already said he changed his mind about woman's MMA about a year ago so Im hoping they build it up.

If they put a little effort into it we could see some good fights.

I love woman's MMA.
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
Squirrel Fighting Champ
 
Squirrelfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,719
Blog Entries: 4
Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
i know all three and ive seen them fight, we both know what you just said was a pretty big stretch. coenen and carano, they are pretty well rounded. And Fujii is a wizard on the ground. But these three do not compare like cristiane, who I was only comparing, these three fall short by a distance to even be compared to mediocre male fighters. Megumi is definitely my favorite of the three to watch. And I would watch carano if she fights again, but it wouldnt be entirely for... fighting merit :P
How do they fall short.

Fujii, the best 115lb female fighter by a huge margin. He's only lost a few times, and makes most opponent's look like its their first day in the gym. She's a wizard on the ground who can set up a ground finish with her stand up. (The exact same description as Damien Maia)

Coenen, the top 135er. She's got pretty good stand up, even better JJ, and more heart than a whole lot of male fighters I've seen. Powershots or not, it takes intestinal fortitude to get the shit smacked out of you for 3 rounds before pulling out the miracle sub. The ability to come back from dominant GnP adveristy to finish the opponent by miracle triangle choke, sounds remarkably like the description of a 6'3" Brazilian fellow we all know.

Carano has tons of hype. She's a legitimate MT fighter who's beat the snot out of female Thai fighters on the feet, and in MMA has done pretty well for herself. The only blemish on her record is against the (wo)man who has the title.

The point being, the actions of female fighters has a comparative to their male counterparts. There are plenty of technically skilled versatile female fighters. But you can't compare someone with the muscle density and strength of a 135lbs woman to someone with the muscle density and strength of a 170, 185lb man (its like comparing Kenny Florian to Cain Velasquez). Technically you can, but when it comes to KOs, and muscle focused activities like dirty boxing/top control, stylistically, its a whole 'nother ball game. The physicological differences make a comparison between the two foolish and moot.
__________________


Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. That’s it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Amateur
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California
Posts: 132
Ming Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to beholdMing Fu is a splendid one to behold
Gina Carano for ring girl anyone?
Ming Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #38 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
How do they fall short.

Fujii, the best 115lb female fighter by a huge margin. He's only lost a few times, and makes most opponent's look like its their first day in the gym. She's a wizard on the ground who can set up a ground finish with her stand up. (The exact same description as Damien Maia)

Coenen, the top 135er. She's got pretty good stand up, even better JJ, and more heart than a whole lot of male fighters I've seen. Powershots or not, it takes intestinal fortitude to get the shit smacked out of you for 3 rounds before pulling out the miracle sub. The ability to come back from dominant GnP adveristy to finish the opponent by miracle triangle choke, sounds remarkably like the description of a 6'3" Brazilian fellow we all know.

Carano has tons of hype. She's a legitimate MT fighter who's beat the snot out of female Thai fighters on the feet, and in MMA has done pretty well for herself. The only blemish on her record is against the (wo)man who has the title.

The point being, the actions of female fighters has a comparative to their male counterparts. There are plenty of technically skilled versatile female fighters. But you can't compare someone with the muscle density and strength of a 135lbs woman to someone with the muscle density and strength of a 170, 185lb man (its like comparing Kenny Florian to Cain Velasquez). Technically you can, but when it comes to KOs, and muscle focused activities like dirty boxing/top control, stylistically, its a whole 'nother ball game. The physicological differences make a comparison between the two foolish and moot.
In almost every way.

Megumi is good on the ground, but her striking is terrible. Comparing her to maia is an insult, she will never be as good as maia is right now at any point in her career.

Coenen's stand up is also pretty bad, not as bad as megumi but its atrocious. She does have plenty of heart, more than some of her male counterparts.

Carano is hot and has striking legitimate striking creds. But speed/power/explosiveness is the bread, butter and wine of striking and she just doesn't have enough to be a real top level striker.

The statement, "the actions of female fighters has a comparative to their male counterparts." is true in the sense that a honda civic is comparable to a corvette in a race.

I'm comparing them by weight class. Cyborg to kenny florian, frankie edgar (about the same size), jose aldo etc, coenen to urijah etc. Megumi is amazing as destroying girls the size of my anerexic ex-gf.. Actually my ex was bigger than those girls x.X

Well they are comparable because they are doing the same activity. Its just the level at which they do the activity is far separated, which is what im saying.
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 2,495
Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
Fujii, the best 115lb female fighter by a huge margin. He's only lost a few times, and makes most opponent's look like its their first day in the gym.
Just for the record, Fujii lost only once and that was a clear robbery decision.

With your whole post I would basically agree, though I also agree with Xerebus that they are not on the same level as their top male counterparts, also not technique-wise - not yet. But, as I've already written before, women are still quite new in MMA and in the beginning of the UFC there also was not a big talent pool of male fighter's and the technical level was nowhere near of what there is today, hence everybody points out the big and fast evolutions in MMA. Obviously that's something people tend to forget. So women MMA should also be given the time to evolve and it should be in public, as it was with male MMA, to attract new talents and give the synergetic effects for evolution.
Voiceless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #40 (permalink)
You're not terribly important to me
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 13,721
Blog Entries: 1
UFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF Material
an organisation like the ufc doesnt have to waste valuable card space with these new divs and loads of talent everywhere to make room for the womens div, i mean maybe japanese promotions and bellator and smaller orgs wanna do it but no not the ufc and they shouldn't. im not going to say women dont do mma just quit, do whatever you want but most of us dont want womens fights on the biggest fighting organisation in the world.
__________________

Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios