Manager: Anderson Silva Wouldn't Have a Problem Fighting GSP at a Catcweight - Page 8 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #71 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,115
Mckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
Anderson has never shown an interest in this fight. Saying he'll fight at catchweight is to protect his belt.

I posted a recent interview where he was directly asked if *he wanted* the fight, and his response was, "its a great fight for the fans."

Everything about his facial expression and body language says hes not interested. I'm 100% convinced neither of these guys want it right now.
I dont think it has any thing to do with the belt. Anderson has mentioned dropping down to fight GSP at 170 and GSP goes quiet.

Anderson has pushed for this fight more than once and GSP avoids.

As for Anderson in interviews, he's the same in all interviews when asked about any of his opponents. His arrogance and body language make it look like he's not interested in fighting any body.
Mckeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #72 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 8,139
Soojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeever View Post
I dont think it has any thing to do with the belt. Anderson has mentioned dropping down to fight GSP at 170 and GSP goes quiet.

Anderson has pushed for this fight more than once and GSP avoids.

As for Anderson in interviews, he's the same in all interviews when asked about any of his opponents. His arrogance and body language make it look like he's not interested in fighting any body.
Somebody show me something that implies Anderson has pushed for this fight. Just one thing.

... and don't use the catchweight offer as an example, because nobody can prove to me that Silva isnt simply protecting his belt. Sure, you don't *think* it has anything to do with the belt, but I *think* it does.

He'll probably ask for the fight to be at 183! lol
Soojooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #73 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
tkoshea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 266
tkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankingstkoshea Is Running Through The Rankings
One of the first things I am sure we as fans love about martial arts and mma compared to boxing is the fact that a loss is not as significant, well should I say damaging to a fighter than it is in boxing.

As a result these types of super fights tend to happen much more frequently.

I would hate to see mma/the ufc slowly move down the route of boxing, where by every big fight takes months and months of negotiating and fighters seek to avoid the most dangerous challengers to pad their record and seek easier pay days.

If this is the fight most mma fans want to see I really hope the UFC gets it done, now.

I saw a video (I assume on here, if not my own random google searching) where Dana was asked the question about this fight and he said there were a couple of fights that needed to be done first...GSP vs Shields and Anderson rematching Sonnen and then the fight would happen (if they were both successful)

I don't know how recent that interview was and if plans have changed since, but although as I have stated before I would personally rather see Silva fight the winner of Shogun/Jones, I do think that if this is the real fight the public want to see it should happen.

Obviously I can understand fights between guys at different companies being hard to match, but in a world where UFC owns both fighters contracts this should really happen. Catchweight seems to be the obvious answer with neither fighter risking their gold and I would like to think a loss, so long as a good performances is put in either way would not be something either fighter would really worry too much about (like the 'old' days of martial arts where fighters fought so much even the best had several losses on their record)
tkoshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #74 (permalink)
WEC For Life
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,964
Blog Entries: 13
HitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoshea View Post
One of the first things I am sure we as fans love about martial arts and mma compared to boxing is the fact that a loss is not as significant, well should I say damaging to a fighter than it is in boxing.

As a result these types of super fights tend to happen much more frequently.
That is because fights in boxnig relies completely upon promoters agreeing on who is fighting, how much money there is, and then how much they will ultimately receive.

UFC fighters have contracts that lay out their salary and there is a matchmaker. Yes, the fighters need to agree ultimately, but it is far easier to get this done than it is in boxing.


Quote:
I would hate to see mma/the ufc slowly move down the route of boxing, where by every big fight takes months and months of negotiating and fighters seek to avoid the most dangerous challengers to pad their record and seek easier pay days.
It doesn't. This has been being talked about for so long because Dana White keeps bringing it up, but then calls it off. For example he was all for it, and then after the Silva/Maia fight, he said it wasn't happening. Now he wants it again.

Quote:
If this is the fight most mma fans want to see I really hope the UFC gets it done, now.
Just because it is what the fans want doesn't mean it needs to happen. If GSP plans to remain at welterweight, then there is no reason he should need to put on weight to fight a bigger opponent.

Quote:
I saw a video (I assume on here, if not my own random google searching) where Dana was asked the question about this fight and he said there were a couple of fights that needed to be done first...GSP vs Shields and Anderson rematching Sonnen and then the fight would happen (if they were both successful)

I don't know how recent that interview was and if plans have changed since, but although as I have stated before I would personally rather see Silva fight the winner of Shogun/Jones, I do think that if this is the real fight the public want to see it should happen.
Although it is appealing, I do not want to see Silva holding the LHW belt. It would screw things up. If Machida gets back to winning ways and Little Nog moves up the rankings a bit, then we would have a champ and 2 top contenders that refuse to fight each other.

Quote:
Obviously I can understand fights between guys at different companies being hard to match, but in a world where UFC owns both fighters contracts this should really happen. Catchweight seems to be the obvious answer with neither fighter risking their gold and I would like to think a loss, so long as a good performances is put in either way would not be something either fighter would really worry too much about (like the 'old' days of martial arts where fighters fought so much even the best had several losses on their record)
The problem is that GSP still wants to fight in the WW division. He still has people he can beat there to fully clean out the division. If that is what he wants, then there is nothing wrong with it it all.
[/quote]
__________________


"Don't be shocked that people die. Be surprised you're still alive."
HitOrGetHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #75 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,115
Mckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings System
How is it even possible to clean out a division? There are always going to be new prospects and fresh talent emerging in each division. GSP could go on to dominate and defend his title another 3 times and still, you could make the argument that he hasn't cleaned out the division.
Mckeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #76 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,759
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeever View Post
I dont think it has any thing to do with the belt. Anderson has mentioned dropping down to fight GSP at 170 and GSP goes quiet.

Anderson has pushed for this fight more than once and GSP avoids.

As for Anderson in interviews, he's the same in all interviews when asked about any of his opponents. His arrogance and body language make it look like he's not interested in fighting any body.

Lmao.. i dont care about your post but i just read your SIG. Omfg.. he said that?? Are you putting that up because you thought it was a cool thing to say?? Lmao.. that is the most pathetic, denial, sad thing i have ever heard someone say. At some point you gotta think "Are you trying to convince me or yourself buddy"??. Haha what a loser. And i LIKE UFC_OWNS haha. But that post is too funny.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
Somebody show me something that implies Anderson has pushed for this fight. Just one thing.

... and don't use the catchweight offer as an example, because nobody can prove to me that Silva isnt simply protecting his belt. Sure, you don't *think* it has anything to do with the belt, but I *think* it does.

He'll probably ask for the fight to be at 183! lol


Alright im not going to get into who is doing what. But lets be realistic for a second. Anderson Silva has not said that he wnats this fight at 180 or 183 or w/e. His manager has just thrown it out as an opinion. And i think only reason this is even being thrown out is because GSP is making a big deal about the weight gain and what not. (BTW I DO THINK THE WEIGHT IS A BIG DEAL, SO IM WITH GSP ON THIS). Anderson Silva i seriously doubt would have a problem with the fight being at 185. I imagine he would prefer it unless GSP wants it lowered so he doesnt have to put on as much weight and can go back down to WW. Until we see Anderson Silva making interviews saying that he does not want the fight at 185 but wants its at 183 instead. It is pretty much an idiotic claim.
__________________
SideWays222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #77 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,115
Mckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Lmao.. i dont care about your post but i just read your SIG. Omfg.. he said that?? Are you putting that up because you thought it was a cool thing to say?? Lmao.. that is the most pathetic, denial, sad thing i have ever heard someone say. At some point you gotta think "Are you trying to convince me or yourself buddy"??. Haha what a loser. And i LIKE UFC_OWNS haha. But that post is too funny.






Alright im not going to get into who is doing what. But lets be realistic for a second. Anderson Silva has not said that he wnats this fight at 180 or 183 or w/e. His manager has just thrown it out as an opinion. And i think only reason this is even being thrown out is because GSP is making a big deal about the weight gain and what not. (BTW I DO THINK THE WEIGHT IS A BIG DEAL, SO IM WITH GSP ON THIS). Anderson Silva i seriously doubt would have a problem with the fight being at 185. I imagine he would prefer it unless GSP wants it lowered so he doesnt have to put on as much weight and can go back down to WW. Until we see Anderson Silva making interviews saying that he does not want the fight at 185 but wants its at 183 instead. It is pretty much an idiotic claim.
lol, check your rep.
Mckeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #78 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 8,139
Soojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Alright im not going to get into who is doing what. But lets be realistic for a second. Anderson Silva has not said that he wnats this fight at 180 or 183 or w/e. His manager has just thrown it out as an opinion. And i think only reason this is even being thrown out is because GSP is making a big deal about the weight gain and what not. (BTW I DO THINK THE WEIGHT IS A BIG DEAL, SO IM WITH GSP ON THIS). Anderson Silva i seriously doubt would have a problem with the fight being at 185. I imagine he would prefer it unless GSP wants it lowered so he doesnt have to put on as much weight and can go back down to WW. Until we see Anderson Silva making interviews saying that he does not want the fight at 185 but wants its at 183 instead. It is pretty much an idiotic claim.
Idiotic indeed. But seeing as this thread is drenched in idiocy, I figures I would throw some equally absurd shit into the free-for-all.

From here on in, every time I see GSP criticized, thats going to be my tact. Because, for me, calling GSP yellow/gutless/p*ussy or whatever, is GOD DAMN FECKING STOOPID SHIT.

You say hes a p*ussy... I say Silva is a p*ussy that doesn't want to risk his belt against a midget. You see. We can all play this ridiculous game.

The above is not aimed specifically at you Side. I know you are not one of those who casually thinks GSP should simply eat a couple more burgers and hes ready to go against the P4P king.
Soojooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #79 (permalink)
WEC For Life
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,964
Blog Entries: 13
HitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeever View Post
How is it even possible to clean out a division? There are always going to be new prospects and fresh talent emerging in each division. GSP could go on to dominate and defend his title another 3 times and still, you could make the argument that he hasn't cleaned out the division.
Right, and GSP could very well do that. What is the problem? That is his weight class and he is the champion. What problem is there with him wanting to stay at WW instead of taking a huge chunk of time to train and put on weight for a fight above his weight class?
__________________


"Don't be shocked that people die. Be surprised you're still alive."
HitOrGetHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #80 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,115
Mckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMckeever Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitOrGetHit View Post
Right, and GSP could very well do that. What is the problem? That is his weight class and he is the champion. What problem is there with him wanting to stay at WW instead of taking a huge chunk of time to train and put on weight for a fight above his weight class?
Because there is no real competition or any real challenge for him at that weight class.

You look at a champion like Pacman, who has moved up through weight classes to further challenge himself and still destroy the competition. Look at his last fight with Margarito, the difference in size was staggering, he still put a clinic on him. BJ Penn, another champion who moved up in weight for the challenge and captured the gold at Welterweight.

GSP talks about how he embraces the challenge, yet Anderson Silva is really his only true challenge and competition and he gives off all the signals that he wants no part of the fight. I just don't understand this.

it is so very rare in combat sports where you have the number one and number two pound for pound fighters separated by just one weight class. This is a once in a life time opportunity.

If GSP defeats Shields in impressive fashion and he is still questioning challenging Anderson, then I really question his motives. After all, it wasnt long ago that he was considering competing in the Olympics for wrestling and giving up MMA.

I just don't see why either fighter wouldn't want to fight.
Mckeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios