Promotional newcomer Edwin Figueroa (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has replaced injured Nick Pace (6-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and now meets fellow bantamweight Michael McDonald (11-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at next week's UFC Fight Night 24 event.
A source close to one of the fighters today confirmed the change with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com
MMAWeekly.com first reported the switch.
UFC Fight Night 24 place March 26 at KeyArena in Seattle. The night's main card airs live on Spike TV, though Figueroa vs. McDonald is slated for the preliminary card.
Figueroa, a four-year pro who's fought primarily in his home state of Texas, owns seven stoppage victories among seven career wins. Five have come via knockout and two via submission. Although most of his wins have come against journeymen and low-level fights, he recently scored a TKO victory over Bellator vet Johnny Bedford (16-8-1 at the time).
McDonald makes his UFC debut after a successful one-fight stint in the promotion's recently merged sister organization, the WEC. Then just 19 years old, McDonald submitted Clint Godfrey in fewer than three minutes at WEC 52. McDonald has earned all 11 of his career wins via stoppage and has fought out of the first round just twice.
The latest UFC Fight Night 24 card now includes:
* Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Phil Davis
* Dan Hardy vs. Anthony Johnson
* DaMarques Johnson vs. Amir Sadollah
* Leonard Garcia vs. Nam Phan
PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)
* Alex Caceres vs. Mackens Semerzier
* Jon Madsen vs. Mike Russow
* John Hathaway vs. Kris McCray
* Edwin Figueroa vs. Michael McDonald*
* Sean McCorkle vs. Christian Morecraft
* Mario Miranda vs. Aaron Simpson
* Johny Hendricks vs. T.J. Waldburger
* Nik Lentz vs. Waylon Lowe
* - Not officially announced
For more on UFC Fight Night 24, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.