Jones says during sparing with Rashad he was always the one with the chance to finish - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:37 PM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Practice doesn't mean much anyway. I get outstruck sometimes in basic sparring but when we do full on it's a totally different story, because leg kicks at 10% are just annoying but leg kicks at 100% will make you a totally different fighter (a handicapped one). Same with wrestling, same with jitz, etc.


Rashad has huge violent take-downs and I'm sure he's much gentler in training. Same with Jones.


I hope this fight ends in a double KO honestly. A giant slam maybe that knocks both people out.

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:18 PM
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 10,098
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
Practice doesn't mean much anyway. I get outstruck sometimes in basic sparring but when we do full on it's a totally different story, because leg kicks at 10% are just annoying but leg kicks at 100% will make you a totally different fighter (a handicapped one). Same with wrestling, same with jitz, etc.
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Not to mention, Jones may have thought he had the shot to finish, but I can't even come close to counting all the times I'll be sitting in a position, trying something I need practice on thinking that I've got a sweep or a finish in my back pocket that I can go to if I need it. Then I need it and it doesn't work, all the while I had been sitting thinking I could end it whenever I wanted.

Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline  
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 PM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life B Ez View Post
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Not to mention, Jones may have thought he had the shot to finish, but I can't even come close to counting all the times I'll be sitting in a position, trying something I need practice on thinking that I've got a sweep or a finish in my back pocket that I can go to if I need it. Then I need it and it doesn't work, all the while I had been sitting thinking I could end it whenever I wanted.
Yeah very good point. I've had some things in tight and thought "I could just close the gap and squeeze and I'd have him." Then you go to do it and they get out and they're on top. FML haha.


But yeah if Rashad and Jones did 100% live sparring in a cage a few times a week and Rashad always got the best of it, that'd be something. But this is nothing like that.

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Middleweight
 
KillerShark1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,806
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
"Yeah, you know, I could finish him, but why would I? I mean why finish him when I could be nice and look like a loser..."

I call bullsh*t.
Because training is not like competing, the idea when sparing or rolling is not to finish and risk injury on your training partner, but to instead find a balance that develops you to work together and and develops both fighters.


KillerShark1985 is offline  
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Bantamweight
 
xRoxaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 750
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddell67 View Post
First to admit I did not think he would beat Shogun.
But I did not realise what a big LHW he is.He looked like a HW.
Still respect - but he is heading for a fall
Same here, and yeah he is humongous. I don't think he will be at lhw for too long especially after hes 25-27.
xRoxaz is offline  
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 394
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRoxaz View Post
Same here, and yeah he is humongous. I don't think he will be at lhw for too long especially after hes 25-27.
Shogun is just fat for LHW. Just looking at him, he looked at about 7-8% body fat. Jones is ripped, tall and lanky, so that's why the difference looks like a lot. He probably walks around at 6% body fat. I think he said he was at 4% body fat before the fight in an interview. He probably walks around at 220.

Last edited by Steroid Steve; 04-17-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Steroid Steve is offline  
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Squirrel Fighting Champ
 
Squirrelfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,719
Blog Entries: 4
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerShark1985 View Post
Because training is not like competing, the idea when sparing or rolling is not to finish and risk injury on your training partner, but to instead find a balance that develops you to work together and and develops both fighters.
The goal when rolling is ALWAYS to finish, and to gain and maintain the most dominant position possible.

Not going for the finish grappling is senseless. And there's a difference between going for a sub, and trying to break a limb. Anyone who's done it knows it.



Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. Thatís it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline  
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 AM
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,152
                     
This is so fricken petty. Like school girls...guess they're playing mind games.

All I can say is that SOMEBODY GONNA GET HURT REAL BAD HERE...
No_Mercy is offline  
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Ultra-weight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spokane
Posts: 6,237
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerShark1985 View Post
Because training is not like competing, the idea when sparing or rolling is not to finish and risk injury on your training partner, but to instead find a balance that develops you to work together and and develops both fighters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
The goal when rolling is ALWAYS to finish, and to gain and maintain the most dominant position possible.

Not going for the finish grappling is senseless. And there's a difference between going for a sub, and trying to break a limb. Anyone who's done it knows it.
At the gym we go to, they do use subs and try to win/finish but not to the point of purposely inflicting injury. There is a balance but not like that KS rolling is different than sparring, you try to limit risk by paying attention to your sparring partner not by dumbing down your entire session.

Most gyms have rules about sparring, there are a lot of different gyms with a lot of different rules/guidelines and some with none at all so I think the answer to who dose what really depends on the gym and the fighter IMO.
slapshot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome