Which one of these fighters will end up having the more dominant career in MMA? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 394
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
I see him losing handily to Gray, Edgar, Penn (if he moved back down), Florian (this fight might actually take place), Melendez, Alvarez, Jim Miller, and others.

I don't see him beating any top 5 and I see him struggling against any top 10.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying he's a crap fighter, and I do have respect for him and I'm a fan of his, I love his fights, he's exciting as hell to watch.

However, I don't get carried away about his status because I'm a fan. He's in a very, very weak division where bottom of the heap LW's can become #1 contenders.
Yeah, Aldo is in a weak division, but who's to say he can't beat any of those LW guys? Has he been exposed or something that shows he can't hang with the top LWs or are you judging him based on the quality of his competition, which is a ridiculous way to judge a fighter's talent and ability. A fighter can't help how bad or good his competition at the weight he is fighting at is. All I see from Aldo is a guy who dominates the guys he fights. It doesn't take high quality opponents to see that he's one of the best in the world. I agree with you that Jones will be the more dominate fighter based on how he's dominated, but I disagree on your premise about Aldo's level being determined because of his competition.

Last edited by Steroid Steve; 05-22-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Steroid Steve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 01:33 AM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,434
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steroid Steve View Post
Yeah, Aldo is in a weak division, but who's to say he can't beat any of those LW guys? Has he been exposed or something that shows he can't hang with the top LWs or are you judging him based on the quality of his competition, which is a ridiculous way to judge a fighter's talent and ability. A fighter can't help how bad or good his competition at the weight he is fighting at is. All I see from Aldo is a guy who dominates the guys he fights. It doesn't take high quality opponents to see that he's one of the best in the world. I agree with you that Jones will be the more dominate fighter based on how he's dominated, but I disagree on your premise about Aldo's level being determined because of his competition.
I base it both on his level of competition and how he dealt with the level of competition, as well as his general skill set.

His compeition is the weakest in all of MMA, I think most will agree with that. Now, Penn is a small LW, he could make FW for sure if he wanted to.

How do you see a fight between Penn and Faber going? Penn and Brown? Penn and Manny? I see all first round knockouts or submissions, as would most people. Penn outclasses these guys in every which way and form, and would get them out of the fight within the first round, easily.

Now take Penn out, and put in Frankie, a guy who beat Penn twice, or Gray, who has beaten Frankie and also went to draw with him, or any top 5 LW. All of them would absolutely destroy and utterly take out the competition at 145.

What has Aldo done with them? He decisioned Faber, Manny gave a decent fight for him for over a round, he decisioned Mark, and he knocked out Brown (something Manny did in the first round). His competition is extremely weak (compared to other divisions) and although it's impressive because he has beaten them all, it's not impressive when compared to other champions, all of whom would have murdered his competition in the first round and all of whom are destroying tougher, more skilled competiton in their own divisions.

Finally, style wise he doesn't match up well with guys at LW. His BJJ isn't good enough to sub any top 5 guy, and his wrestling isn't good enough to stop Penn, Gray, Frankie, etc. Also, if he did strike with someone like Penn, he'd be lit up.

So, there are many reasons why he's overrated, and if he does step up to LW say after he beats a few more guys, he will be exposed against any top 10. That's not to say he wouldn't beat any top 10 guys, but I firmly believe he would do worse against any top 10 than he did against Mark. He very well could win, but it would not be in a dominating fashion, he would struggle some and have a tough fight on his hands. I don't see him beating any top 5, however, in fact, I see him losing quite decisively.
M.C is online now  
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Ultra-weight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spokane
Posts: 6,211
                     
Before its all said and done Jones has the potential to hold this title for a wile and then move up to heavyweight where we'll have to see but the LW division has a better caliber of fighters. If A. Silva moves up to fight him and Jones wins and moves to HW and then wins the HW title, that's a huge accomplishment. I think his biggest test would be someone who's a better wrestler IMO.

I'm not sure it will happen but it could and Aldo doesn't imo have the same opportunity's for supperfights as Jones and that's why IMO you gotta go with Jones.


I dont think Penn can make the weight cut, I really dont.

But Edgar could move down and IMO should move down and he would most likely beat anyone he faces, Sherk could also move down and I think if he dose he'll be a monster.
slapshot is offline  
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
burdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 65
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo de Amigo View Post
NO HE DOESNT , LIGHT HEAVY WEIGHT IS ONE OF THE WORST DIVISIONS CURRENTLY IN THE UFC.
Ryan Bader
Randy Couture
Phil Davis
Rashad Evans
Rich Franklin
Forrest Griffin
Rampage Jackson
Jon Jones
Lyoto Machida
Mauricio Rua
Thiago Silva

yeah it sucks balls.
burdy is offline  
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Ultra-weight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spokane
Posts: 6,211
                     
Randy Couture retired but yeah I dont think its a weak division but there is some separation from the top three fighters Jones, Rua and Machida are ahead the rest of the pack IMO.
slapshot is offline  
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:21 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
burdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 65
                     
IMO shogun is like BJ, if he comes in motivated hes ahead of the rest. Otherwise, as seen in the forrest fight... well you get it
burdy is offline  
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:02 AM
The Avy Slut
 
Indestructibl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,342
                     
Definitely Jon Jones. He's beaten bigger names, faced and dominated tougher competition, and has never been put in a bad position. He'll dominate for a long long time.

Thanks to limba for this AWESOME sig
Indestructibl3 is offline  
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
Stapler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,156
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Randy Couture retired but yeah I dont think its a weak division but there is some separation from the top three fighters Jones, Rua and Machida are ahead the rest of the pack IMO.
Ahem, Rampage beat Machida. Whether you scored that fight for Machida or not, it was close enough to the point where you wouldn't separate them by much.

Although I see what you're saying, Bader is a great fighter and Jones just overwhelmed him. You wouldn't think they were both top contenders at the time after watching that fight.

Psalm 30:5 "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

Top 3 Favorite Fighters
1. Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
2. Glover Teixeira
3. Demian Maia
Stapler is offline  
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 PM
CoutureCop
 
Davisty69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,091
                     
As has been said above, Jones has crushed ever opponent, and those opponents have been of a higher caliber. Aldo's division is pretty damn weak when compared to the UFC's LHW division. Aldo may very well prove me wrong, but Jones has crushed better fighters.


Check out MMAforum.com's
Top 25 Fights to show a new MMA fan!!

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/69374-to...ml#post1079252
Davisty69 is offline  
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Welterweight
 
Sambo de Amigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Land of Truth
Posts: 2,311
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdy View Post
Ryan Bader
Randy Couture
Phil Davis
Rashad Evans
Rich Franklin
Forrest Griffin
Rampage Jackson
Jon Jones
Lyoto Machida
Mauricio Rua
Thiago Silva

yeah it sucks balls.
Are you really going to say that list on fighters in better than the list i can pull out for LW and WW ? hell even MW is better the LHW is one of the weaker divisions and is a shadow of its past self.

Bisping Fan extraordinaire

Velasquez will be back

Sambo de Amigo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome