A welterweight matchup between Paulo Thiago (13-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) and David Mitchell (11-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) is official for August's UFC 134 event.
) previously passed along news of the bout, and UFC executives since have made it official.
UFC 134 takes place Aug. 27 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro and marks the UFC's first Brazil event since 1998.
The night's main card airs on pay-per-view, though Thiago vs. Mitchell is slated for the preliminary card.
Once of the UFC's most promising 170-pounders, Thiago now finds himself in a must-win situation. After opening his career with a 10-0 record and signing with the UFC, the Brazilian won three of his first four bouts, including high-profile victories over UFC contenders Josh Koscheck and Mike Swick. But he since has dropped decisions to Martin Kampmann and Diego Sanchez and looks to avoid a three-fight losing streak.
The Brazilian special-forces police officer was slated to fight Johny Hendricks in March but pulled out of the bout due to an elbow injury. He now meets Mitchell, a California-based fighter and Tachi Palace Fights veteran who opened his career with an 11-0 mark to earn a UFC contract. But in his UFC debut back in September, he suffered a decision loss to T.J. Waldburger at UFC Fight Night 22. Mitchell had been slated to fight Swick in January at UFC Fight Night 23, but both fighters pulled out of the event due to injuries.
The latest UFC 134 card now includes:
* Champ Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami (for middleweight title)
* Forrest Griffin vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
* Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Brendan Schaub
* Edson Barboza vs. Ross Pearson
* Erick Silva vs. Mike Swick
* Luiz Cane vs. Stanislav Nedkov
* Spencer Fisher vs. Thiago Tavares
* David Mitchell vs. Paulo Thiago
* Alexandre "Cacareco" Ferreira vs. Rousimar Palhares*