Theyre both my favorite fighters and a huge inspiration for me to get into MMA but just a few days ago I realized they have alot in common.
1. The obvious, Both fought in PRIDE. Of course we all know Big Nog was he HW champ, and won many of his bouts in subs. He made his name in that organization. Diaz fought and won against the lightweight champ Takanori Gomi in what was considered a MASSIVE upset, even stranger how he won, 2nd round gogoplata after getting dropped and beaten up in the 1st which is very reminiscent of how Big Nog won his fights.
2. The Jiu Jitsu. Both are Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belts and are known for their dangerous ground game, most notably their guard. Diaz has 8 submission victories and 20 for Big Nog. The majority of their submission wins are armbars.
3. Hardships they faced and conquered in their youth- Diaz was born through a single mother. Growing up was incredibly tough in a tough town like Stockton, because they were not well off and Diaz was bullied as a child, and often him and his brother Nate starved. Now he is the Strikeforce Champion and P4P top Welterweight of the world.
Big Nogs own tragedy he fought and won was when he was 8, he was run over by a truck. He suffered horrific injuries and was in a coma for days. Doctors said he would die, and even if he did survive he would never walk again. No one would have thought that 20 years later he would become one of the greatest fighters of all time.
Both fighters were put through tough times and became even stronger, as evidenced by their unbreakable will to win in their fights.
4. Brothers in lighter divisions- Nick's brother Nate is a lightweight and Big Nog's twin Lil Nog is a light heavyweight. Both are younger and in lighter divisions than their respective brothers.
5. Their granite hard chins and unbelievable will to win- Both fighters have the toughest chin and recovery rate in the history of the sport. Their heart is even more impressive, as they have the ability to absorb and take a ungodly amount of damage and somehow pull of a victory out of nowhere.