Jose Aldo Wants to Fight Cruz, Edgar - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Flyweight
 
Ddog0587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 338
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
But this isn't scrap yard fighting. You actually countered your own argument with the perfect reason why this doesn't work. If Aldo is going to have to continue to defined his belt at that pace, he does leave himself open to injury. Then they UFC is out a PPV main event. And you also have everyone in both the FW and LW divisions stalled waiting for one guy to get healthy.

I firmly stand by, if Aldo wants a shot at the LW title, he needs to move on from the FW. Otherwise, let's see it as a exhibition 5 round match.
I don't think the injury argument negated my original one. Yes it COULD open him up to injury but this is fighting. The best should fight the best. Injuries will happen. The biggest argument against it is I don't think the UFC would allow such things to protect their champions and ratings
Ddog0587 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Welterweight
 
amoosenamedhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,215
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddog0587 View Post
I don't think the injury argument negated my original one. Yes it COULD open him up to injury but this is fighting. The best should fight the best. Injuries will happen. The biggest argument against it is I don't think the UFC would allow such things to protect their champions and ratings
The best can fight the best, but why drag the complication of one champ in two divisions into it? If you are a true fan of the sport, you don't need the belt to hype the fight... the excitement of a super fight should be more than enough.
amoosenamedhank is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Flyweight
 
Ddog0587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 338
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
The best can fight the best, but why drag the complication of one champ in two divisions into it? If you are a true fan of the sport, you don't need the belt to hype the fight... the excitement of a super fight should be more than enough.
It's would almost seem like a disservice. To have a belt held by the #2 fighter. I agree that a super fight is plenty enough for me without belts but for the casual fan or to gain more fans which is what Dana White wants it wouldnt hurt at all. Especially with all the NBA and NFL bs that's going on. A GSP v Silva fight for all the beans would attract more people than if nothing were on the line. Without belts on the line it would still be the biggest fight in UFC history but with them it may blow ppv records to pieces.
Ddog0587 is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 PM
SPEED KILLS
 
SM33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,130
                     
Aldo would beat them all.

Super fights are great, but not in the UFC the way it currently works. The higher status fighters simply do not fight often enough to have super fights whilst actively defending their belt/making progress in their main division.

Now that the UFC is big, there is so much more to it than just the fights, not in a negative way. But if they want to do these dream fights to please everyone, the wheels in terms of competition need to spin a lot quicker. Fight nights and smaller events should incorporate big names as well, not every show needs to be a huge hyped up spectacle. 8 week maximum turnaround not including suspensions would be great.

SM33 is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
VolcomX311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: L.A.
Posts: 4,136
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
The UFC isn't going to let one guy tie up two divisions. If the fight was to happen, it would be a non-title fight. Or at least it should.
I agree to a degree. The other side of the coin is that UFC loves a true super-star, more so then a champion figure. If Aldo was a double champ, he'd be a genuine super-star, as oppose to just being a champ of a division and a not all that popular division (yet).
VolcomX311 is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Welterweight
 
amoosenamedhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,215
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddog0587 View Post
It's would almost seem like a disservice. To have a belt held by the #2 fighter. I agree that a super fight is plenty enough for me without belts but for the casual fan or to gain more fans which is what Dana White wants it wouldnt hurt at all. Especially with all the NBA and NFL bs that's going on. A GSP v Silva fight for all the beans would attract more people than if nothing were on the line. Without belts on the line it would still be the biggest fight in UFC history but with them it may blow ppv records to pieces.
I understand your point about a number 2 fighter holding the belt. And it would be especially embarrassing considering they came to your weight class. I don't necessarily care about that, but I understand the marketing shortfalls. To resolve that, I guess I would still fall back on, if you want to challenge someone else for their belt, you have to vacant your own first. Seems a bit harsh, but if you have the balls to call someone out, especially someone out of your weight division, you should be confident enough to put your reign as a UFC champ on the line.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
I agree to a degree. The other side of the coin is that UFC loves a true super-star, more so then a champion figure. If Aldo was a double champ, he'd be a genuine super-star, as oppose to just being a champ of a division and a not all that popular division (yet).
Once again, I completely understand the marketing pull a champ vs champ fight would be. I just feel that if the challenger wins the fight and is expected to defined in both weight classes, it leaves both divisions in a high risk situation of stalling out due to injury or prior fight commitments.
amoosenamedhank is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Flyweight
 
Ddog0587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 338
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
I understand your point about a number 2 fighter holding the belt. And it would be especially embarrassing considering they came to your weight class. I don't necessarily care about that, but I understand the marketing shortfalls. To resolve that, I guess I would still fall back on, if you want to challenge someone else for their belt, you have to vacant your own first. Seems a bit harsh, but if you have the balls to call someone out, especially someone out of your weight division, you should be confident enough to put your reign as a UFC champ on the line.
Lots of pros and cons to this one. I guess White could use strike force as a testing ground for this idea. It wouldn't hurt to try and see what comes of it. I say strike force because if something goes foul, white wouldn't want it tarnish the UFC brand

Last edited by Ddog0587; 07-13-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Ddog0587 is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 15
   
two words: interim champ.

if the champ of two divisions gets injured. they can get an interim champ for one of the weight classes and have him win it back.
jaec012 is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Welterweight
 
Calibretto9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,218
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
He'd **** Cruz in a fight. But edgar/Maynard I'll have to see. I think he'd still take either but meh
I think both Maynard and Edgar would beat him but for different reasons. Edgar moves too much to get teed off on with those leg kicks and is slick with his takedowns. That element of "is he about to drop me on my ass" would probably throw Aldo off enough for Edgar to land some shots. I don't think Edgar would finish him but I see him taking the solid UD.

Maynard I see just bullying Aldo with his wrestling. Very little explanation needed - If Maynard is bigger and stronger than you than you're in a lot of trouble.
Calibretto9 is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 PM
To the death George
 
DJ Syko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunderland, UK
Posts: 2,306
                     
I hope they let him do it, Move down to BW beat Cruz, defend his belt again at FW and then move to LW and fight the champ there. I think he could do it too, his hardest fight would be at LW of course but i could see him beating alot of top LWs, just depends on whos champ at the time.

DJ Syko is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome