O'Brien Wants the Next Title Shot? - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 02-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 18
Floyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past
O'Brien is a joke if he thinks he deserves a title shot anytime soon. Yeah he may have some wrestling skills but I do not consider this guy to be a legit MMA fighter. I'm sure some of you are tired of hearing that he just "lay'd and prayed" but that's exactly what he did. I'm a BIG fan of the ground game and feel that is the most technical side of MMA but what O'Brien did was just plain boring. All he did was use his wrestling skills to take down Herring and hold him there. If that's not what laying and praying is, tell me what is? It seemed to me that he has no MMA skills besides wrestling and I personally don't consider wrestling to be part of martial arts. I understand that wrestling is part of the MMA game now but if that's all you got well maybe then you should just stick to wrestling. He won the fight simply because the judges in the UFC gives credit for the takedowns regardless of what they do with it. There was NO dominating in that fight whatsoever and using that word to describe that fight I feel is a stretch.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Halebop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texan
Posts: 1,487
Halebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd
O'Brien is a joke if he thinks he deserves a title shot anytime soon. Yeah he may have some wrestling skills but I do not consider this guy to be a legit MMA fighter. I'm sure some of you are tired of hearing that he just "lay'd and prayed" but that's exactly what he did. I'm a BIG fan of the ground game and feel that is the most technical side of MMA but what O'Brien did was just plain boring. All he did was use his wrestling skills to take down Herring and hold him there. If that's not what laying and praying is, tell me what is? It seemed to me that he has no MMA skills besides wrestling and I personally don't consider wrestling to be part of martial arts. I understand that wrestling is part of the MMA game now but if that's all you got well maybe then you should just stick to wrestling. He won the fight simply because the judges in the UFC gives credit for the takedowns regardless of what they do with it. There was NO dominating in that fight whatsoever and using that word to describe that fight I feel is a stretch.
This is full on inconsistencies. You are trying to placate both sides of the debate. You are a BIG fan of the ground game, it is technical, but wrestlers should stick to wrestling???? what?? You want your matches without Sambo, Greco-Roman, and Free Style wrestling however you are a big fan of the ground game?

I agree Obrien needs to learn to strike but don't critcize his style because you are not a fan of wrestling. Obrien doesn't care what any of us think about his style, were fans, and he beat Heath Herring.
__________________
A groan of tedium escapes me...
Halebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 18
Floyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halebop
This is full on inconsistencies. You are trying to placate both sides of the debate. You are a BIG fan of the ground game, it is technical, but wrestlers should stick to wrestling???? what?? You want your matches without Sambo, Greco-Roman, and Free Style wrestling however you are a big fan of the ground game?

I agree Obrien needs to learn to strike but don't critcize his style because you are not a fan of wrestling. Obrien doesn't care what any of us think about his style, were fans, and he beat Heath Herring.

I'll give O'Brien credit (not much though) for beating Herring but as in my previous post he beat him simply because the judges gave him points for his takedowns regardless of what he did after the takedown. The UFC judging format of rewarding points to someone for takedowns is what won the fight for O'Brien. He knew that and that was obviously his game plan going into the fight was just to shoot, takedown and pin Herring for 3 rounds. As for being a fan of the ground game I am and I'm sure you are aware that the ground game is much more than just wrestling. It has become a hybrid of many different styles and disciplines and unfortunately for O'Brien he is just a one dimensional wrestler for what I saw. I would love for O'Brien to fight someone like Josh Barnett on the ground to expose the fact that he is a one dimensional wrestler with no MMA skills. Imagine how many wrestlers saw the O'Brien - Herring fight and thought to themselves "Hey, I can do that .. shoot, takedown and pin for 3 rounds and you win a UFC fight!" Don't know about you but it would suck for me to watch a bunch of O'Briens coming in fresh out of college just so they can do some takedowns and lay and pray for 3 rounds. I am a fan of the ground game but am not a fan of O'Brien. He will have to bring a lot more into the ring/octagon for me to give him props.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Halebop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texan
Posts: 1,487
Halebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level nowHalebop is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd
I'll give O'Brien credit (not much though) for beating Herring but as in my previous post he beat him simply because the judges gave him points for his takedowns regardless of what he did after the takedown. The UFC judging format of rewarding points to someone for takedowns is what won the fight for O'Brien. He knew that and that was obviously his game plan going into the fight was just to shoot, takedown and pin Herring for 3 rounds. As for being a fan of the ground game I am and I'm sure you are aware that the ground game is much more than just wrestling. It has become a hybrid of many different styles and disciplines and unfortunately for O'Brien he is just a one dimensional wrestler for what I saw. I would love for O'Brien to fight someone like Josh Barnett on the ground to expose the fact that he is a one dimensional wrestler with no MMA skills. Imagine how many wrestlers saw the O'Brien - Herring fight and thought to themselves "Hey, I can do that .. shoot, takedown and pin for 3 rounds and you win a UFC fight!" Don't know about you but it would suck for me to watch a bunch of O'Briens coming in fresh out of college just so they can do some takedowns and lay and pray for 3 rounds. I am a fan of the ground game but am not a fan of O'Brien. He will have to bring a lot more into the ring/octagon for me to give him props.
I can see where you are coming from now. This is a very good post. The whole "getting points for takedowns" is a slippery slope. On one hand you have Griffin/Ortiz where Ortiz may have won by a takedown or two and that pissess people off but the Obrien fight, I understand why people thought it was boring but Obrien took him down at will. Takedowns are very exciting to me and grappling on the ground normally is I just felt Obrien held up his end of the bargain but Herring didn't. Okay the fight stayed on the ground, a BJJ expert could have gone for a triangle or any number of things. What we got was Herring doing this:
__________________
A groan of tedium escapes me...
Halebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios