Machida vs Dana - Who's the Schmuck? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 07-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
locnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,603
locnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level nowlocnott is on another level now
I don't know who the schmuck is but I think I know who will be the winner and loser of the situation.
locnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,099
Fine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level nowFine Wine is on another level now
Dana doesn't get his way, so he goes on another tirade. Pretty standard. Then Machida has to justify it which looks bad in itself, one should never feel the need to justify but Dana puts them in this position.

Dana needs to lay off the ego pills for a while. One day one of these fighters is going to bust him up good and proper and by god that will be a funny day!
Fine Wine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
NO. 1 *BONER*
 
limba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,727
limba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Material
Neither is a shmuck...or both of them are.

Both were looking out for their own interest. Nothing new here.

One tried to seel his services for as much as possible (Machida), why the other one tried to make sure the business he runs will put in the best product possible for his clients, while keeping the costs as low as possible. (Dana).

From a business perspective this is very normal.

From a fan's perspective, Machida looks like he let the sport (he loves) down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
I can see why Machida didn't take the fight. It was short notice, little payoff if he won.
It would have earned him a title shot most likely - imo. Beating the no. 1 contender would normally make you the no. 1 contender.

The only other fighter who could have made a claim for a title shot would have been Forrest - and only if he beats Shogun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
If he lost he could've rationally been close to being cut by the UFC. But to say you would take the fight then ask for more money, that's a schmuck move! I've never been a Machida fan though, lets hope he gets Shogun 3 next!
And...the UFC doesn't cut fighters who take fights on short notice. They usually get rewarded with a contract, for at least one more fight. And i'm talking about lower tier fighters.

Even with a loss against Evans - in a No. 1 contender's fight - Machida would have been miles away from being cut.

In fact, i believe the chances of him getting cut in the future have increased a lot after declining to fight Evans.

And he's gonna have a harder time climbing up the rankings now imo.
__________________
.



BELIEVE!



limba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,699
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by limba View Post
Neither is a shmuck...or both of them are.

Both were looking out for their own interest. Nothing new here.

One tried to seel his services for as much as possible (Machida), why the other one tried to make sure the business he runs will put in the best product possible for his clients, while keeping the costs as low as possible. (Dana).

From a business perspective this is very normal.

From a fan's perspective, Machida looks like he let the sport (he loves) down a bit.



It would have earned him a title shot most likely - imo. Beating the no. 1 contender would normally make you the no. 1 contender.

The only other fighter who could have made a claim for a title shot would have been Forrest - and only if he beats Shogun.



And...the UFC doesn't cut fighters who take fights on short notice. They usually get rewarded with a contract, for at least one more fight. And i'm talking about lower tier fighters.

Even with a loss against Evans - in a No. 1 contender's fight - Machida would have been miles away from being cut.

In fact, i believe the chances of him getting cut in the future have increased a lot after declining to fight Evans.

And he's gonna have a harder time climbing up the rankings now imo.
Iv seen them cut fighters who took fights on short notice. It doesn't happen often, you are right, but it does happen. Dotn ask for an example because i cant think of one in recent memory. The only reason i remember is because there were a few threads on it when it happened.
Only reason im saying something is because i believe you should not state it as if that were fact, since its not.
I do agree that Machida would not have been anywhere near being cut. But his value would have gone down tremendously and there is a chance he has some personal/injuries going on right now. So not only could he be physically hurt BUT taking a fight on short notice and not feeling 100%, can be a serious mind ****.
People just need to realize there is alot of stuff going on in these guys lives that we have no clue about. Its not all black/white.
__________________

Last edited by SideWays222 : 07-19-2011 at 05:20 AM.
SideWays222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 51
kritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura aboutkritter has a spectacular aura about
The only thing I disagree with the original article is that there was no pay off for Machida if he won - he probably would have got the title shot and the UFC would love him forever for stepping in at short notice.
kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
NO. 1 *BONER*
 
limba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,727
limba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Iv seen them cut fighters who took fights on short notice. It doesn't happen often, you are right, but it does happen. Dotn ask for an example because i cant think of one in recent memory. The only reason i remember is because there were a few threads on it when it happened.
Only reason im saying something is because i believe you should not state it as if that were fact, since its not.
I do agree that Machida would not have been anywhere near being cut.
Ok...as far as i know, i heaven't heard of examples of fighters being cut after taking fights on short notice.

My point was: a fighter like Machida would have been nowhere near a cut with a loss against Evans - unless ---> scenario: fights Evans - loses - in post fight interview he says: "f*uck the UFC and Dana for forcing me to take this fight" or "f*ck the fans who talked shit about me before the fight"

Other than that, i think it would have been impossible to cut him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
But his value would have gone down tremendously though and there is a chance he has some personal/injuries going on right now. So not only could he be physically hurt BUT taking a fight on short notice and not feeling 100%, can be a serious mind ****.
People just need to realize there is alot of stuff going on in these guys lives that we have no clue about. Its not all black/white.
I agree on the bolded part.

Going in a fight not 100% is stupid.

These guys don't have to prove anything to anyone, especially when they're not 100% healthy.

Fans are sick of discovering post fight stories of "ghost injuries" and "going in the fight with personal problems and *demons*".

Those type of scenarios should be reserved for Hollywod only.

But...at the same time, Machida could have acted like Jackson, when he was offered the title shot against Shogun. And Jackson declined the fight on a 6 weeks notice! Plus s title shot!!!
And (reasonable) people didn't say anything.

Machida could have easily said: "sorry but i can't. I'm not in shape, not 100% ready. I need at least "?" weeks time to put in a decent camp. Plus the weight cut...etc"
And people (reasonable) would have understood the situation.

Just a thought.

Ohhh well: Machida knows what's best for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter View Post
The only thing I disagree with the original article is that there was no pay off for Machida if he won - he probably would have got the title shot and the UFC would love him forever for stepping in at short notice.
LOL...i hope you're being sarcastic here.

I wouldn't call a title shot a "no pay off" + Dana loving him 'til the end of time...
__________________
.



BELIEVE!



limba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
You're not terribly important to me
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 13,755
Blog Entries: 1
UFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF Material
machidas a fraud, he is supposed to be some kind of respectful samurai warrior which usually means fight anywhere anytime, most people would jump at the fight especially one agains tthe no.1 contender, to top it all off he got paid 200k to show at 129 and 129k for his bonus not counting back room money and sponsors. edgar and condit get paid a lot less and are a lot more valuable fighters yet they would take any fight in a heartbeat jim miller too.
__________________

Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,699
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by limba View Post
Ok...as far as i know, i heaven't heard of examples of fighters being cut after taking fights on short notice.

My point was: a fighter like Machida would have been nowhere near a cut with a loss against Evans - unless ---> scenario: fights Evans - loses - in post fight interview he says: "f*uck the UFC and Dana for forcing me to take this fight" or "f*ck the fans who talked shit about me before the fight"

Other than that, i think it would have been impossible to cut him.




I agree on the bolded part.

Going in a fight not 100% is stupid.

These guys don't have to prove anything to anyone, especially when they're not 100% healthy.

Fans are sick of discovering post fight stories of "ghost injuries" and "going in the fight with personal problems and *demons*".

Those type of scenarios should be reserved for Hollywod only.

But...at the same time, Machida could have acted like Jackson, when he was offered the title shot against Shogun. And Jackson declined the fight on a 6 weeks notice! Plus s title shot!!!
And (reasonable) people didn't say anything.

Machida could have easily said: "sorry but i can't. I'm not in shape, not 100% ready. I need at least "?" weeks time to put in a decent camp. Plus the weight cut...etc"
And people (reasonable) would have understood the situation.

Just a thought.

Ohhh well: Machida knows what's best for him.



LOL...i hope you're being sarcastic here.

I wouldn't call a title shot a "no pay off" + Dana loving him 'til the end of time...
Would have repped you if i was able to.

btw?? So you dont think Machidas value would have gone down had he lost to Rashad?? At one point people laughed at the idea of Machida vs Rampage being competitive. Machida was supposed to be a nightmare matchup for Rampage jackson.
So we pretty much had a even fight in Machida vs Shogun, then in a rematch we had a brutal knock out by Shogun against a guy that is supposed to be the least hit fighter in MMA, we then finally get to see thsi nightmare matchup for Rampage BUT Rampage foils those rumors and takes home a decision victory, then finally we have Machida getting a win BUT lets be real it is against a 48 year old man, then imagine Lyoto Machida losing to a guy that he has destroyed in the past (and possibly given us the best GIF we currently have in MMA). You dont think that people would start saying Machida is finished and that it is sad because he has never reached his full potential?? Especially since Machidas dad wanted him to retire a few fights back. I know the loss would have been on short notice BUT a loss none the less. I truly do think that peoples interest in Machida would have gone down significantly until he got back and strung some wins together. But that is easier said then done because even the average opponents would not be intimidated by the idea of fighting Machida anymore. People would try to use him a stepping stone for their name.
__________________
SideWays222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
NO. 1 *BONER*
 
limba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,727
limba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Materiallimba Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Would have repped you if i was able to.

btw?? So you dont think Machidas value would have gone down had he lost to Rashad?? At one point people laughed at the idea of Machida vs Rampage being competitive. Machida was supposed to be a nightmare matchup for Rampage jackson.
So we pretty much had a even fight in Machida vs Shogun, then in a rematch we had a brutal knock out by Shogun against a guy that is supposed to be the least hit fighter in MMA, we then finally get to see thsi nightmare matchup for Rampage BUT Rampage foils those rumors and takes home a decision victory, then finally we have Machida getting a win BUT lets be real it is against a 48 year old man, then imagine Lyoto Machida losing to a guy that he has destroyed in the past (and possibly given us the best GIF we currently have in MMA). You dont think that people would start saying Machida is finished and that it is sad because he has never reached his full potential?? Especially since Machidas dad wanted him to retire a few fights back. I know the loss would have been on short notice BUT a loss none the less. I truly do think that peoples interest in Machida would have gone down significantly until he got back and strung some wins together. But that is easier said then done because even the average opponents would not be intimidated by the idea of fighting Machida anymore. People would try to use him a stepping stone for their name.
No doubtm he would have lost a bit of his "aura".
A loss is a loss, even if it's on short notice.
But this would have been a No.1 contender's fight and, tbh, you don't really drop down the rankings too much after a fight like this.

He is like 5th or 6th in the unofficial rankings atm and with a loss against Evans he would have remained in that spot imo.

And he would have gotten a fight against someone like Griffin or Davis next imo.


I just think this fight would have been a clear example of: reward >>> risk!
__________________
.



BELIEVE!



limba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #30 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,699
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by limba View Post
No doubtm he would have lost a bit of his "aura".
A loss is a loss, even if it's on short notice.
But this would have been a No.1 contender's fight and, tbh, you don't really drop down the rankings too much after a fight like this.

He is like 5th or 6th in the unofficial rankings atm and with a loss against Evans he would have remained in that spot imo.

And he would have gotten a fight against someone like Griffin or Davis next imo.


I just think this fight would have been a clear example of: reward >>> risk!
Not your regular number 1 contender fight, Since Machida didnt beat his way to the number 1 contender fight. I think if your on a bad stint and you lose to a guy that you destroyed... you drop down a good amount. Machida needs a GOOD win to secure his rankings.
__________________
SideWays222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios