According to Sozynski at least 85% of fighters use PEDs - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Budhisten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,226
                     
According to Sozynski at least 85% of fighters use PEDs

Quote:
The use of performance-enhancing drugs in MMA is far more widespread than most people realize, according to UFC light heavyweight Krzysztof Soszynski, who told Ariel Helwani on Tuesday's edition of The MMA Hour that there are far more elite fighters using steroids, testosterone, and other PEDs than there are fighters who compete totally clean.

"I would definitely say somewhere in the percentage of 85 percent of guys are definitely using, especially the guys who can afford it are definitely using," said Soszynski. "I would even go as high as 95 to 96 percent of the top level athletes that are definitely using it. You can clearly see it."

Soszynski has been out of action with a knee injury since his decision victory over Mike Massenzio at UFC 131 in June, but the rehab process opened his eyes to the easy availability of performance-enhancers in MMA, he said.

"I even had someone talk to me about stem cell injections. You're looking at stuff like EPO, and at least five or six different counterfeit drugs out there that people are using and they're not even detectable in the body. It's just amazing to me how far athletes are willing to go to make their mark in this sport."

At the same time, Soszynski expressed a degree of empathy for PED users in MMA, and expressed doubt that the problem could ever be fully eradicated.

"If there's a substance you can take out there that's going to make you bigger, stronger, more explosive, going to help you train harder, going to help you train longer, and it's going to help with your recovery as well, and you know if you take it the right way and follow the right instructions, you'll never get caught for it, wouldn't you take it?"

Soszynski said the current system that most athletic commissions use of testing fighters just prior to fight night is completely ineffective, since that's when "you're only going to catch the dumb guys, who have no idea what they're doing."

Instead, he said, MMA needs random, out-of-competition drug-testing.

"I totally agree [with random testing]. Ten weeks out, eight weeks out, six weeks out -- that's when all the training happens. That's when you're training at your hardest, at your peak. Every athlete who knows how to train properly knows they're going to have to taper off two weeks, two and a half weeks out from their fight so they'll be in perfect condition for their fight. All the hard training happens eight, ten weeks [from the fight]. That's the time when everybody's doing their drug abuse and that's when they're taking their testosterone and their steroids. That's when I think fighters should be tested."

As for fighters like Nate Marquardt and Chael Sonnen, who have recently argued that they have a legitimate medical reason to undergo testosterone replacement therapy, Soszynski said that it creates an uneven playing field to allow some fighters to inject themselves with hormones but not others.

"My thought on that is very simple: either everybody does it, or nobody does it. If guys are doing it and the commissions are allowing these guys to do it as long as they get to a certain level within their bodies, then we all should be allowed to take it as long as we get our levels to a certain number. That's what I believe."

Soszynski, who's no stranger to a pro sports drug culture after experiences with pro wrestling and competitive bodybuilding, added that while most fighters might be on PEDs, he's among the small percentage that isn't.

"I haven't used [PEDs] for mixed martial arts," he said. "Back in the days when I was a bodybuilder, obviously it was a little different. But for mixed martial arts, I don't. I don't believe in it."

As for whether that puts him at a disadvantage, Soszynski said he knows of "a bunch of guys in the sport who don't [use PEDs] and who are very successful," but at the same time, "I feel like we should be on an even playing field."

Then again, just because Soszynski might want it that way -- and might fear for MMA's reputation in the long run if it doesn't address the PED issue -- that doesn't mean he's terribly optimistic about the chances of weeding it out completely.

"It's just part of guys trying to become the best," said Soszynski. "You want to become the best, you're going to do anything and everything you can to become the best, and this is one of those things."
Source: MMAFighting.com




MMAForum - Please follow, like and download our app!
Budhisten is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM
SPEED KILLS
 
SM33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,110
                     
Sad to hear, but deep down everyone knows this is likely true.

SM33 is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Squirrel Fighting Champ
 
Squirrelfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,719
Blog Entries: 4
                     
81% of studies show that 32% of everything people say about statistics are made up on the spot.



Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. That’s it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline  
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Bantamweight
 
MMAnWEED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 910
                     
Obviously. This is why I hate when people jump ontop of fighters like Nate for using it. Jump ontop of him for being stupid and getting caught but not for using it.

This is there CAREER not some type of hobbie. Of course you're going to get a hold of PED's to make yourself perform at your highest ability. One thing you have to know though is I feel the majority of guys on the top typically don't partake because they all have that X factor gene which PED's will never give you.

You'll go far and may actually win the title but unless you have that special somethin' somethin', you wont be able to maintain the top dog position like Silva or GSP who have unbelievable genetic gifts and who I strongly believe do not partake in PED's.
MMAnWEED is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:10 PM
All Around Nice Guy
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,760
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
81% of studies show that 32% of everything people say about statistics are made up on the spot.
Well he clearly made that % up on the spot. I doubt he would even say otherwise. He gave his educated estimate on how many people he believes use peds.

He isnt the first person to say that over most MMA fighters use peds. Funny thing is that everyone that comes out and says that also says "But iv never used them". Which makes me wonder if what they are telling is the truth. The one person i believe has never touched them is BJ Penn. He just seems to human physically wise to every have been on roids or something. He has gifted technique though which makes him one of the best. Also makes his accomplishments so much more because you know BJ isnt a giften athlete and he isnt using peds. He i just a simply put gifted fighter.

Anyway..

I have never been against roids or anything else and i never will be. I think they should be legal because athletes makea shit ton money and the peopled deserve to see the best a human body can produce. This way anyone who wants to take them CAN and anyone who doesnt want to take them doesnt have to. I like my athletes to be willing to do w/e the hell they can to be the best athletes they can be. Also studies show that if you do roids in moderate doses it can actually be healthy. Once you get too old to compete in your sport you also stop taking the roids. HGH on the other hand i think every human being passed 35 should take them.

I think the buck should stop at blood doping though. IMO thats just way too crazy. But who am i to decide whats legal and what isnt?? am i right men!


Last edited by SideWays222; 08-17-2011 at 07:13 PM.
SideWays222 is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Bantamweight
 
MMAnWEED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 910
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Well he clearly made that % up on the spot. I doubt he would even say otherwise. He gave his educated estimate on how many people he believes use peds.

He isnt the first person to say that over most MMA fighters use peds. Funny thing is that everyone that comes out and says that also says "But iv never used them". Which makes me wonder if what they are telling is the truth. The one person i believe has never touched them is BJ Penn. He just seems to human physically wise to every have been on roids or something. He has gifted technique though which makes him one of the best. Also makes his accomplishments so much more because you know BJ isnt a giften athlete and he isnt using peds. He i just a simply put gifted fighter.

Anyway..

I have never been against roids or anything else and i never will be. I think they should be legal because athletes makea shit ton money and the peopled deserve to see the best a human body can produce. This way anyone who wants to take them CAN and anyone who doesnt want to take them doesnt have to. I like my athletes to be willing to do w/e the hell they can to be the best athletes they can be. Also studies show that if you do roids in moderate doses it can actually be healthy. Once you get too old to compete in your sport you also stop taking the roids. HGH on the other hand i think every human being passed 35 should take them.

I think the buck should stop at blood doping though. IMO thats just way too crazy. But who am i to decide whats legal and what isnt?? am i right men!
Amen. I thought I was the only one with this thought process.
MMAnWEED is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Conjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norway / Hawaii
Posts: 20
                     
Can only be a bad thing for the sport if Sozynski is even vaguely correct in his estimation.

What happens to the legitimacy of the sport if, say in 10-15 years, retired MMA fighters start dropping like flies in their 40s and 50s like pro wrestlers has and still do?

Itīs not even a case of legitimacy of the sport. It would also be in the best interest of the fighters to protect them from themselves.

I see no reason why fighters should not be tested more often, and be in danger of being cut/suspended if caught with illegal substances or hight testosterone levels in their bodies.

Look at Shawn Tompkins. Heart attack due to an enlarged heart. Anyone who follows or followed wrestling will find this very familiar with many deaths of wrestlers due to their use of performance enhancing substances. I know itīs not confirmed, so itīs purely speculation from my point, but it does look suspicious.

Better safe than..dead I guess. More testing is needed in MMA!
Conjo is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 3,055
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conjo View Post
Can only be a bad thing for the sport if Sozynski is even vaguely correct in his estimation.

What happens to the legitimacy of the sport if, say in 10-15 years, retired MMA fighters start dropping like flies in their 40s and 50s like pro wrestlers has and still do?

Itīs not even a case of legitimacy of the sport. It would also be in the best interest of the fighters to protect them from themselves.

I see no reason why fighters should not be tested more often, and be in danger of being cut/suspended if caught with illegal substances or hight testosterone levels in their bodies.

Look at Shawn Tompkins. Heart attack due to an enlarged heart. Anyone who follows or followed wrestling will find this very familiar with many deaths of wrestlers due to their use of performance enhancing substances. I know itīs not confirmed, so itīs purely speculation from my point, but it does look suspicious.

Better safe than..dead I guess. More testing is needed in MMA!
Steroid use is widespread in other sports. So to single out MMA's legitimacy due to such would be foolish. As for the wrestlers, there are many other factors that need to be considered. A large number of wrestlers have problems with drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and serious addictions to pain killers. Their job requires them to take certain risks on a weekly basis and the large majority of them perform while injured. Look how common neck injuries are in wrestling. Steroids are generally safer than most people think, but one thing is for sure, you don't want to be boosting your testosterone levels while doing lines of blow and popping pain pills.

Attero Dominatus.
Terror Kovenant is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Conjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norway / Hawaii
Posts: 20
                     
I am far from an expert on the subject, so I can not argue anything you say in that post. Even if (and you probably are) you are right, I still feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

If increased testing can save just one fighters life, is it not worth it?
Conjo is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Lightweight
 
locnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,603
                     
He thinks it ok to take PEDs for a body building contest, and he did, but he would never do it in MMA, I find that kinda hard to believe, myself..
locnott is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome