Wil the new Fox deal help MMA in - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
All Around Nice Guy
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,760
                     
Wil the new Fox deal help MMA in

New York??

Do you guys think this Fox deal could sway some old farts opinions like bill O'Reilly?? I know Fox news and the billster have a special relationship. Im not so sure this will make him like the UFC but it could possibly force him to become a little more educated about it. Maybe Dana White can meet face to face one day and Dana can give him the godfather treatment.

SideWays222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 AM
You're not terribly important to me
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 15,156
Blog Entries: 1
                     
screw new york, we dont need them they can come crawling to us if they want mma in their state after all the crap they have put dana and the ufc through to get it legalised


Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,499
                     
The simple answer is yes, because Fox isn't just another network, it is one of the highest rated networks. If they want to put a fight on in MSG they will simply walk up to NY, say sanction it or we stop covering your other lame ass shit, and bam sanctioned.

Seriously though it will help. Fox has a massive amount of sway in all worlds, including political. Since Fox News has the largest audience out of all networks the last thing a politician would want to do is hold out on something small like this and risk having any mistake they make as the main headline on Fox for a week. It will barely pass, but it will pass when Fox wants to put a show on there.
cdtcpl is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Welterweight
 
Soakked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,446
                     
With all the problems in the economy and unemployment in NYC, legalizing MMA would instantly bring revenue and jobs. It's a no brainer really.

"Let them see that their words can cut you, and you'll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can't hurt you with it anymore." - Tyrion Lannister
Soakked is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Featherweight
 
DanTheJu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hurricane Alley (Daytona)
Posts: 1,012
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
The simple answer is yes, because Fox isn't just another network, it is one of the highest rated networks. If they want to put a fight on in MSG they will simply walk up to NY, say sanction it or we stop covering your other lame ass shit, and bam sanctioned.

Seriously though it will help. Fox has a massive amount of sway in all worlds, including political. Since Fox News has the largest audience out of all networks the last thing a politician would want to do is hold out on something small like this and risk having any mistake they make as the main headline on Fox for a week. It will barely pass, but it will pass when Fox wants to put a show on there.
First and foremost, Fox News is NOT what is considered a network in TV, it is a cable channel. A Network is one of the channels that are picked up free over the air, like ABC NBC CBS and FOX. So, while it may be the most watched Cable News Channel, it is FAR from the most watched channel.

So the next question is, what is the most watched network? CBS.

Now does this mean that FOX is not big? No, not at all, FOX is a giant. The first UFC show on FOX will bring bigger numbers than any fight they have ever had. It will get exposure to many that have never seen a UFC event before.

I think it will be GREAT for the UFC and for MMA.

Now do I think FOX will have any pull over the political types in New York in getting MMA sanction, no I dont think so.

Fox News is affiliated with FOX based soley on the same ownership. I dont see them trying to exert ANY influence over any politician because of MMA (a VERY tiny political issue), when they already have many other agendas of a much larger size!

-------------------
Dan The Ju
-------------------
DanTheJu is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 AM
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
When MMA starts helping New York's government, then it'll get legalized.

New York is adamant that MMA isn't safe enough, well...



I guess helmet to helmet hits that leave a guy almost paralyzed is safe.

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Welterweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,225
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soakked View Post
With all the problems in the economy and unemployment in NYC, legalizing MMA would instantly bring revenue and jobs. It's a no brainer really.
What revenue would UFC bring aside from the temporary bump in retail and hotel sales for the one weekend that UFC is in town? And what jobs would come to NY once MMA is legalized?

I'm curious, because i hear this line used a lot but i never hear any substance behind it, just empty rhetoric.
Dtwizzy2k5 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Welterweight
 
Soakked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,446
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwizzy2k5 View Post
What revenue would UFC bring aside from the temporary bump in retail and hotel sales for the one weekend that UFC is in town? And what jobs would come to NY once MMA is legalized?

I'm curious, because i hear this line used a lot but i never hear any substance behind it, just empty rhetoric.
Hotels, retail, restaurants, as well as cross promotional deals with other industries. MMA schools gaining more popularity because of exposure (NYC media capital), merchandise and advertisement, infrastructure which requires building to accomadate (construction). Tourism, neighbooring small businesses and businesses in general get a boom. People get hired (permanently or temporarily), money gets circulated which gets taxed, which goes into helping funding other programs. Not that hard to see how point A helps point B if you put any reasonable thought into it. And I am sure I am missing a whole lot that comes with it.

"Let them see that their words can cut you, and you'll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can't hurt you with it anymore." - Tyrion Lannister
Soakked is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:04 PM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,988
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheJu View Post
First and foremost, Fox News is NOT what is considered a network in TV, it is a cable channel. A Network is one of the channels that are picked up free over the air, like ABC NBC CBS and FOX. So, while it may be the most watched Cable News Channel, it is FAR from the most watched channel.

So the next question is, what is the most watched network? CBS.

Now does this mean that FOX is not big? No, not at all, FOX is a giant. The first UFC show on FOX will bring bigger numbers than any fight they have ever had. It will get exposure to many that have never seen a UFC event before.

I think it will be GREAT for the UFC and for MMA.

Now do I think FOX will have any pull over the political types in New York in getting MMA sanction, no I dont think so.

Fox News is affiliated with FOX based soley on the same ownership. I dont see them trying to exert ANY influence over any politician because of MMA (a VERY tiny political issue), when they already have many other agendas of a much larger size!
dan the ju, breakin down the business and economics like usual

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 PM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC_OWNS View Post
screw new york, we dont need them they can come crawling to us if they want mma in their state after all the crap they have put dana and the ufc through to get it legalised
exactly.

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome