Is it fair to charge UK fans, and other Europeans, to watch UFC on PPV? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
 
The Lone Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere between Hell and Earth
Posts: 1,569
The Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
Well, the world is a big place- you obviously can't expect North American events to happen at 3AM our time, no one would show up to the gate.

Do they not re-air events afterward on your cable channels?
Yeah, of course - and theres also the Tivo / Sky+ option of recording it and watching it the following day. But therein lies another problem. Paying an excessive amount of money to watch it nearly 24 hours after the event. Which means not speaking to any of your MMA loving friends, not visiting MMA sites, being careful of any internet or tv media incase you stumble accross the results

And we all know its just not the same buzz watching an event on delay or recording rather than live as it happens.

I understand the UFC is an american organisation and the US public is the main funder of the UFC. But that doesnt mean it sucks any less for us
The Lone Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,234
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Wolf View Post
Yeah, of course - and theres also the Tivo / Sky+ option of recording it and watching it the following day. But therein lies another problem. Paying an excessive amount of money to watch it nearly 24 hours after the event. Which means not speaking to any of your MMA loving friends, not visiting MMA sites, being careful of any internet or tv media incase you stumble accross the results

And we all know its just not the same buzz watching an event on delay or recording rather than live as it happens.

I understand the UFC is an american organisation and the US public is the main funder of the UFC. But that doesnt mean it sucks any less for us
And I can understand not wanting to pay PPV prices to watch events in the middle of the night, much less the next day, but so far as I can tell that's still supposition, correct? You might never pay for a UFC PPV.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
H33LHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Where it's cold- very cold.
Posts: 691
H33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of Knowledge
We're trying to decide if it's "fair" for Zuffa to charge viewers in Britian the PPV fee, based on the fact that the only way for those viewers to watch the event live is for them to stay up 'til 5am?

Fair has nothing to do with it. You don't want to watch, you don't pay. You want to watch, you pay.

And downloading/streaming the event "for free" really shouldn't be an option for those who actually, you know, support the sport and its fighters.

.
H33LHooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
 
The Lone Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere between Hell and Earth
Posts: 1,569
The Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
And I can understand not wanting to pay PPV prices to watch events in the middle of the night, much less the next day, but so far as I can tell that's still supposition, correct? You might never pay for a UFC PPV.
Yeah, its a hypothetical question as of yet - just wondering a) what the general consensus is, and b) what options other europeans have for watching UFC events.

It still makes me chuckle how the americans and english have 2 polar opposite views on the subject. Its beauatiful
The Lone Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Fun Police

 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 9,066
Blog Entries: 1
Killz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by H33LHooK View Post
We're trying to decide if it's "fair" for Zuffa to charge viewers in Britian the PPV fee, based on the fact that the only way for those viewers to watch the event live is for them to stay up 'til 5am?

Fair has nothing to do with it. You don't want to watch, you don't pay. You want to watch, you pay.

And downloading/streaming the event "for free" really shouldn't be an option for those who actually, you know, support the sport and its fighters.

.
I'm guessing you aren't In the uk or Europe.

Nobody is disputing 'paying' for the events, more, the amount we should pay, based on the fact the events happen in the middle of the night for us.

I want to support the UFC, and I do not bitch about paying for their events at the moment. I accept that I have to pay and that is fine. I justify paying less than my American counterparts for the pure fact that my personal circumstances dont allow me to watch 'through the night'.

I want to 'support' MMA and it's fighters, but I want to 'Support' my family more, which means me having to work so I can pay bills. staying up until 5am, then getting an hour or 2 sleep before I need to get up with my daughter is not an option. I'm sure I would be the model employee arriving at work on monday morning with less than 7 hours sleep over a 48 period under my belt every week or so.
__________________



My Super FFL Team That Most Definitely Isn't Going to Come 2nd Last This Year!
Jose Aldo • Carlos Condit • Hector Lombard • Edson Barboza • Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson
Killz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
The Nightman Cometh
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 12,962
Blog Entries: 1
UFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killstarz View Post
I'm guessing you aren't In the uk or Europe.

Nobody is disputing 'paying' for the events, more, the amount we should pay, based on the fact the events happen in the middle of the night for us.

I want to support the UFC, and I do not bitch about paying for their events at the moment. I accept that I have to pay and that is fine. I justify paying less than my American counterparts for the pure fact that my personal circumstances dont allow me to watch 'through the night'.

I want to 'support' MMA and it's fighters, but I want to 'Support' my family more, which means me having to work so I can pay bills. staying up until 5am, then getting an hour or 2 sleep before I need to get up with my daughter is not an option. I'm sure I would be the model employee arriving at work on monday morning with less than 7 hours sleep over a 48 period under my belt every week or so.
as i said starz, streams in HQ, thats what i do now, i have to pay more than you guys and i dont get epl at a good time or heiniken cup rugby at a good time so solution is to stream it
__________________

Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
The Fun Police

 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 9,066
Blog Entries: 1
Killz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC_OWNS View Post
as i said starz, streams in HQ, thats what i do now, i have to pay more than you guys and i dont get epl at a good time or heiniken cup rugby at a good time so solution is to stream it
I'd rather acquire it legally if I can, however, there is only so much I'm willing to pay for something before I feel im not getting value for money and torrent it.

I never Illegally download anything unless all legal means of getting it have been exhausted.
__________________



My Super FFL Team That Most Definitely Isn't Going to Come 2nd Last This Year!
Jose Aldo • Carlos Condit • Hector Lombard • Edson Barboza • Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson
Killz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 70
orangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of lightorangekoolaid is a glorious beacon of light
Does anyone know when they will stop showing the ufc on ESPN? First I heard about them cancelling it

My stance on the PPV issue is that if it went to PPV I would have to start streaming/downloading them. As a student I can just about pay for Sky Sports + ESPN, but theres no way I could fork out for a PPV every month.

It would be a shame really as I do enjoy staying up to watch them hassle free on ESPN.
orangekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Fun Police

 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 9,066
Blog Entries: 1
Killz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekoolaid View Post
Does anyone know when they will stop showing the ufc on ESPN? First I heard about them cancelling it

My stance on the PPV issue is that if it went to PPV I would have to start streaming/downloading them. As a student I can just about pay for Sky Sports + ESPN, but theres no way I could fork out for a PPV every month.

It would be a shame really as I do enjoy staying up to watch them hassle free on ESPN.
Supposedly ESPN has the UFC for 1 more year. Chances are it could stay on ESPN but more likely it will go over to Sky Sports after the year is up.

It's all just conjecture at the minute.
__________________



My Super FFL Team That Most Definitely Isn't Going to Come 2nd Last This Year!
Jose Aldo • Carlos Condit • Hector Lombard • Edson Barboza • Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson
Killz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 7,312
Blog Entries: 1
oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
I gave up all pay TV when I quit working and stayed home with the kids.

I pay for yahoo stream and connect to the tv. works great and you don't have to do it live but, you can.





and no FBI
__________________
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios