Article: Lyoto thinks he has cracked Jon Jones code. - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 8,040
Soojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF Material
If Rampage can take Bones into 4 rounds, using a completely one dimensional strategy, I would say that gives Machida hope.

Rampage didnt do a thing but try to get inside and punch. Thats all Bones had to worry about. And it still went to the 4th. Machida has a much more varied offence. Theres every chance he can test Jones at various points in the fight.
Soojooko is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,447
cdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By All
I don't believe you can ever count out any of the top 10 LHW. I think JBJ has to be favored over all of them, but each one has a unique set of skills that does seem to vary quite a bit. I'm not counting Lyoto out, but I have a hard time Lyoto has ever faced anyone with as much as a reach advantage as JBJ will have on him. So far that reach seems to bother a lot of people.
cdtcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,447
cdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
If Rampage can take Bones into 4 rounds, using a completely one dimensional strategy, I would say that gives Machida hope.

Rampage didnt do a thing but try to get inside and punch. Thats all Bones had to worry about. And it still went to the 4th. Machida has a much more varied offence. Theres every chance he can test Jones at various points in the fight.
Let me ask it this way: Did Rampage take JBJ to the 4th or did JBJ allow it to get to the 4th? The same way BJ allowed the Florian fight to go on so long and then finished it when he wanted to.

P.S. Actually asking, not making the accusation.
cdtcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,705
Spec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level now
Rampage has one of the strongest upper bodies in the LHW division, if JBJ get a hold of anyone else like he did to Rampage earlier in the fight, they are going down. Rampage avoided a lot of his throws and that is why it went on as far as it did.

Its also extremely hard to finish Rampage and if you knew that, you wouldn't be making that statement.
Spec0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,447
cdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec0688 View Post
Rampage has one of the strongest upper bodies in the LHW division, if JBJ get a hold of anyone else like he did to Rampage earlier in the fight, they are going down. Rampage avoided a lot of his throws and that is why it went on as far as it did.

Its also extremely hard to finish Rampage and if you knew that, you wouldn't be making that statement.
Prior to his loss to JBJ, if Rampage was finished in 4 of his 8 losses. The stats do not back up your claim. Rampage does have great survivability that allows him to recover from a bad spot though. So my question does still stand.
cdtcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,705
Spec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
Prior to his loss to JBJ, if Rampage was finished in 4 of his 8 losses. The stats do not back up your claim. Rampage does have great survivability that allows him to recover from a bad spot though. So my question does still stand.
You're looking too far back and my statement wasn't even regarded to you but the first person who brought this up.

Fact is that Rampage hasn't been stopped ever since he came into the UFC, and the rules and cage help this. The last time he was stopped was by Shogun due to soccer kicks, that'll never happen again and I really doubt Shogun would be able to stop Rampage in the UFC.

Rampage is the hardest fighter to stop at LHW and if you can't agree with this then you haven't been watching enough.
Spec0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,447
cdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec0688 View Post
You're looking too far back and my statement wasn't even regarded to you but the first person who brought this up.

Fact is that Rampage hasn't been stopped ever since he came into the UFC, and the rules and cage help this. The last time he was stopped was by Shogun due to soccer kicks, that'll never happen again and I really doubt Shogun would be able to stop Rampage in the UFC.

Rampage is the hardest fighter to stop at LHW and if you can't agree with this then you haven't been watching enough.
True, the rule will prevent soccer kicks, but what about the knees to the face that Wandy gave him? Technically if we are looking at it by stats, JBJ is the hardest guy to stop at LHW as it has never been done, second would be Lyoto and Rashad. I have been watching plenty of MMA, including a lot of Rampage's old Pride fights where I would argue he looked his best.

I asked the question because upon rewatch it looked like JBJ wanted to fight during the first 2 rounds and it wasn't until the 3rd he started looking for a way to finish, but I wanted to see if others saw the same thing or something different.
cdtcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,705
Spec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level nowSpec0688 is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
True, the rule will prevent soccer kicks, but what about the knees to the face that Wandy gave him? Technically if we are looking at it by stats, JBJ is the hardest guy to stop at LHW as it has never been done, second would be Lyoto and Rashad. I have been watching plenty of MMA, including a lot of Rampage's old Pride fights where I would argue he looked his best.

I asked the question because upon rewatch it looked like JBJ wanted to fight during the first 2 rounds and it wasn't until the 3rd he started looking for a way to finish, but I wanted to see if others saw the same thing or something different.
Knees by Wanderlei were an accumulation of events that lead to the KO, kicks to the head on the ground and whatnot. The second fight between them was cleaner but I still think it wouldn't happen in the UFC. Rampage could put his back easily against the cage and posture up but its harder to do in Pride because you can't use the ropes for support.

I'm not trying to make excuses for those knockouts but I just think that it would be impossible to replicate in the UFC. The third fight kind of proved that.

JBJ hardest to stop? nope. How can you say this if he has yet to be truly tested and put in difficult situations. That's like saying GSP is the hardest to stop at WW and yet he dictates the fight and is never is a bad spot. I'd say Fitch is the hardest to stop at WW. Just because a fighter doesn't take damage and controls the fight, I wouldn't say they are the hardest to stop.

Both Machida and Rashad have been knocked out more recently and Rashad has been dropped plenty of times before. I would easily rank Rampage ahead of them.
Spec0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 57
samhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of lightsamhain is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
Let me ask it this way: Did Rampage take JBJ to the 4th or did JBJ allow it to get to the 4th? The same way BJ allowed the Florian fight to go on so long and then finished it when he wanted to.

P.S. Actually asking, not making the accusation.
I've wondered this as well. Also makes me wonder if perhaps Jones and Greg Jackson are looking at the Shogun/Machida 2 fight and thinking that overwhelming Lyoto quickly may be a good strategy.
samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
H33LHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Where it's cold- very cold.
Posts: 691
H33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of KnowledgeH33LHooK Is True Champion Of Knowledge
I'll say that I think Lyoto has a better chance than 'Page did simply because Lyoto has more ways to win than did 'Page.

This, for me at any rate, is a very, very interesting fight.

.
H33LHooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios