Wow, I am tired of Melendez - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Ultimate Fighter TV The Ultimate Fighter is the UFC's reality TV show featuring aspiring MMA fighters aspiring to win a contract with the UFC.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
Alex_DeLarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,223
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy13
Why do you suppose Melendez didn't fight that first round like that? Gray really dominated him with the take downs.

Do you think that BJ was making excuses for Gray?
Talking him overtraining?

BD
It was hard for Brandon to fight like that when right off the bat he got taken down and was easily fighting off a horrible choke from Gray. Grays constant takedowns and constant lay and pray was hard to deal with for him I imagine.

Yeah, he probably was making excuses, BJ is always making excuses, especially when he thought the first round of Corey/Emerson was a "TIE", haha, right, a TIE.

Gray got off light against Weems in the first round, I think it just showed that Gray relies strictly on wrestling, and if no one gives him a neck like Melendez did, he's going to get defeated by whoever he faces in the semis, whether it be Joe, Nate, Matt, or Manny. He's much like how Koscheck started, except atleast Koscheck gave Diego a fight on the show. He just doesn't have the skills yet.

You're just a cook...
Alex_DeLarge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:02 AM
GO BEARS!
 
asskicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 3,763
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_DeLarge
It was hard for Brandon to fight like that when right off the bat he got taken down and was easily fighting off a horrible choke from Gray. Grays constant takedowns and constant lay and pray was hard to deal with for him I imagine.

Yeah, he probably was making excuses, BJ is always making excuses, especially when he thought the first round of Corey/Emerson was a "TIE", haha, right, a TIE.

Gray got off light against Weems in the first round, I think it just showed that Gray relies strictly on wrestling, and if no one gives him a neck like Melendez did, he's going to get defeated by whoever he faces in the semis, whether it be Joe, Nate, Matt, or Manny. He's much like how Koscheck started, except atleast Koscheck gave Diego a fight on the show. He just doesn't have the skills yet.
He does rely alot on wrestling but I still think hes alot more well rounded than Koscheck was.

14-1 in Forum Bets
asskicker is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:43 AM
SugaRUSH!
 
brownpimp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surrey, Canada
Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Melendez put on a great performance tonight, despite losing and all that crap before the fight. Putting that kind of a showing against the other teams "best" guy is a hard thing to do.

Support Mixed Martial Arts, not Ultimate Fighting

brownpimp88 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Walking Spastic
 
BooyaKascha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 681
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Melendez put on a great performance tonight, despite losing and all that crap before the fight. Putting that kind of a showing against the other teams "best" guy is a hard thing to do.
Without a doubt, he was definitely impressive and surprised me tonight. I personally don't find Gray to be that great, but I thought he'd stomp Melendez.

My Favorites:

Kendall Grove
Andrei Arlovski
Nick Diaz
Jens Pulver
Spencer Fisher
Sean Sherk
Corey Hill


5-1 in Forum bets

I <3 Paris Hilton
BooyaKascha is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 02:13 AM
The Revolution
 
SimplyNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,018
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooyaKascha
Without a doubt, he was definitely impressive and surprised me tonight. I personally don't find Gray to be that great, but I thought he'd stomp Melendez.
Agreed. I didn't expect a whole lot from Melendez but he suprised me (Although I think he should of tried harder to get out of the gulloutine). Gray on the other hand looked like he was overworking some chokes, like he thought he had his arm around his neck or something. Should of threw more punches while he was on Melendez' back and then go for the choke. Could of ended much sooner I thought.

Last edited by SimplyNate; 06-01-2007 at 02:15 AM.
SimplyNate is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 184
 
I was impressed with Brandon also. I didn't think he had a ground game at all but his jitz is ok. (not great but ok) I thought Gray would do more but in my opinion he was just layin and prayin, throwin a couple of shots here and there. I think when and if Gray gets in the cage with someone that has strong BJJ skills, he's in trouble!

Team Jorge Gurgel, Grand Rapids Brazillian Jiu Jitsu www.grbjj.com
If you rep me + or - leave your name!
dragonfury72BJJ is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Middleweight
 
hollando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 2,822
             
you know what im not a doctor so i cant say how bad his hand hurts....but the jens speach seemed very from the heart....now im a bj fan obviously.....but jens does seem to put more into coaching a personal level.....although i think bj can teach the kids more then pulver can......i guess we'll see who is the better fighter very soon

The most solid advice I can give to anyone who fights BJ Penn is...do not motivate the guy. Lets face it, BJ although talented, is naturally lazy. Your job is to NOT convince him to step on that treadmill.
hollando is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome