Hughes Comment About Serra Cussing - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Ultimate Fighter TV The Ultimate Fighter is the UFC's reality TV show featuring aspiring MMA fighters aspiring to win a contract with the UFC.

Reply

Old 09-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 83
stokedmma has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by esv
matt serra sucks shit. he and his team will all get owned.
Sig bet?
stokedmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 237
mawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the roughmawrestler125 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDIME
All old testament I believe. Also all done in the name of god. The words were written were by man not "god" himself. Much blood spilt in the name of god, I agree. Theology does not condone the acts of thousands of years ago. It takes chapters and applies them to modern life. Not one church (short of the extreme ones) would condone violence,sexism,slavery in modern times.
lol but the bible says it is the word of god, and it is perfect and cannot be questioned or argued. Plus you can't cherry pick parts of the bible. By admitting that it was written by man, you can admit that man invented god. People were just more gullible back then, if you had a guy running around now and days claiming he was the son of god he would be scoffed at and sent into a insane assilum. The bible is outdated.
mawrestler125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Gallows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 256
Gallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura aboutGallows has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDIME
Competiton breeds emotional extremes. There is probably not too many athletes out there that have never swore. It's part of the game, I guess you could say. Dana White uses cuss words often like an exclamation point on his statments. I'm sure the t.v. Dana we see is a bit more animated than the Dana that talks to the NSAC and corporate sponsors. While not appropriate all the time, it's a fact of life and no youth is immune to hearing it. Does it make the UFC seem dumber/classless? Depends on one's tolerance i guess?


I think to some, it does actually make it seem dumber or classless, infact it gives a lot of people the impression that the fighters that are competing, are nothing more than crass barbarians. It's just one more negative point that causes a kneejerk reaction in some. In any sport you'll find people in the locker rooms swearing, whether its football, soccer, hockey, baseball, or whatever, but the fact that for the most part they act with a level of professionalism and aren't going out of their way to swear and act like total savages makes it more palatable for the masses.

As for Dana acting that way on TV as opposed to meetings and interviews... you're completely right. I think back to a number of interviews now, and remember pondering "wow, he managed to do that entire interview without swearing once, and remaining articulate". Swearing and acting/being like one of the guys in the gym will most certainly endear a select audience to him. So I can understand it.

I believe Hughes has the view that Champions are role-models that a lot of younger people look up to, and casual people do as well, and that they should act in a way befitting said responsibility in public.

Bottom line: I don't mind swearing myself, infact I get rather creative on a daily basis, but believe you need some shining examples of the top guys to show the public a certain behaviour to make the sport easier to accept for those that do find swearing particularly vulgar.
Gallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
DropKick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,578
DropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDIME
Alright,alright. As a matter of fact I have read the bible, and not because i'm a believer but because I need to understand why people believe. All I meant is that it is really easy for people to say they are 100 % Christian/catholic.jewish etc. and then go and prove that they are not. I do not question Matt's faith in the lord...as I belive whatever get people through thier lives is great. What i do question is the preaching do as i say,not as i do. It is no different than a rapper saying "all the glory to god" and then hitting the strip club with a loaded gun in his pants. If you are what you are then fine. Just don't try to play holier than thou to a national audience.
Wow man, MMA is a sport. There isn't anywhere in the Bible that says people can't participate in sports. Randy Couture and Diego Sanchez claim to be Christians as well, should they quit MMA too? Football and Hockey are violent sports as well, do you think anyone playing those sports should start 'practicing what they preach as well'? I don't see the point of your argument. Saying Matt Hughes is hypocritical because he's a fighter is just rediculous.
DropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
RIDIN' DIRTY
 
DCDIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 284
DCDIME is an unknown quantity at this pointDCDIME is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawrestler125
lol but the bible says it is the word of god, and it is perfect and cannot be questioned or argued. Plus you can't cherry pick parts of the bible. By admitting that it was written by man, you can admit that man invented god. People were just more gullible back then, if you had a guy running around now and days claiming he was the son of god he would be scoffed at and sent into a insane assilum. The bible is outdated.
I agree 100%...maybe I missed the point of your post, sorry. I have no desire to debate the validity of religion. I do not hate or love it.
__________________
Fighters I enjoy watching:
Fedor
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Martin Kampman
Jake Shields
Thiago Tavares
Urijah Faber


Joe Rogan NutHugger...and proud of it
DCDIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
RIDIN' DIRTY
 
DCDIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 284
DCDIME is an unknown quantity at this pointDCDIME is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropKick
Wow man, MMA is a sport. There isn't anywhere in the Bible that says people can't participate in sports. Randy Couture and Diego Sanchez claim to be Christians as well, should they quit MMA too? Football and Hockey are violent sports as well, do you think anyone playing those sports should start 'practicing what they preach as well'? I don't see the point of your argument. Saying Matt Hughes is hypocritical because he's a fighter is just rediculous.
Diego and Randy don't push thier values on others in a national program. Both admit their faith but don't try to hold everyone christian or not to their moral beliefs. I'm not saying the bible says don't compete, all i'm saying don't try to piss in my ear and tell me it's raining. If you claim your 100% dedicated and are not...don't pull that crap without expecting to be called on it. Thank god after your fight and leave it alone. If you can't see the point I am making sit back and look at objectivly.
__________________
Fighters I enjoy watching:
Fedor
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Martin Kampman
Jake Shields
Thiago Tavares
Urijah Faber


Joe Rogan NutHugger...and proud of it
DCDIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
RIDIN' DIRTY
 
DCDIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 284
DCDIME is an unknown quantity at this pointDCDIME is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallows
I think to some, it does actually make it seem dumber or classless, infact it gives a lot of people the impression that the fighters that are competing, are nothing more than crass barbarians. It's just one more negative point that causes a kneejerk reaction in some. In any sport you'll find people in the locker rooms swearing, whether its football, soccer, hockey, baseball, or whatever, but the fact that for the most part they act with a level of professionalism and aren't going out of their way to swear and act like total savages makes it more palatable for the masses.

As for Dana acting that way on TV as opposed to meetings and interviews... you're completely right. I think back to a number of interviews now, and remember pondering "wow, he managed to do that entire interview without swearing once, and remaining articulate". Swearing and acting/being like one of the guys in the gym will most certainly endear a select audience to him. So I can understand it.

I believe Hughes has the view that Champions are role-models that a lot of younger people look up to, and casual people do as well, and that they should act in a way befitting said responsibility in public.

Bottom line: I don't mind swearing myself, infact I get rather creative on a daily basis, but believe you need some shining examples of the top guys to show the public a certain behaviour to make the sport easier to accept for those that do find swearing particularly vulgar.
I feel you man. I just meant swearing offends some people more than others.
__________________
Fighters I enjoy watching:
Fedor
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Martin Kampman
Jake Shields
Thiago Tavares
Urijah Faber


Joe Rogan NutHugger...and proud of it
DCDIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
esv
Middleweight
 
esv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,567
esv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enoughesv will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedmma
Sig bet?
Your on!
esv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Josh3239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: People's Republic of Kalifornia
Posts: 799
Josh3239 is on a distinguished roadJosh3239 is on a distinguished roadJosh3239 is on a distinguished roadJosh3239 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDIME
Diego and Randy don't push thier values on others in a national program. Both admit their faith but don't try to hold everyone christian or not to their moral beliefs. I'm not saying the bible says don't compete, all i'm saying don't try to piss in my ear and tell me it's raining. If you claim your 100% dedicated and are not...don't pull that crap without expecting to be called on it. Thank god after your fight and leave it alone. If you can't see the point I am making sit back and look at objectivly.
And Hughes pushes it on people? Unless I am mistaken this thread is about Hughes not liking the language that Serra uses (nor do I remember Matt Hughes ever mentioning religion).

While Randy doesn't do it regularly, he does thank God after fights and Rampage is a born-again Christian. In terms of how these fighters present themselves religiosly, I see no to little difference between Randy Couture, Rampage Jackson, or Matt Hughes.

People are just giving Matt Hughes shit, because for some reason people like to. He is very talented and I still have yet to see him be a dick as everyone puts it. If anything he seems like he is taking the high road against Serra so far in TUF.
Josh3239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 83
stokedmma has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by esv
Your on!
Great! Now I need to think of what I want you to put when you lose.
stokedmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios