The Ultimate Grappler - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Ultimate Fighter TV The Ultimate Fighter is the UFC's reality TV show featuring aspiring MMA fighters aspiring to win a contract with the UFC.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Welterweight
 
Calibretto9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,218
                     
The Ultimate Grappler

I've been a fan of The Ultimate Fighter for a long time, love to follow these guy's careers as they get out of TUF, and truly consider many of them to be great fighters (Or potentially great fighters for the newer graduates). But, one thing that has always bothered me about this show is that it should be called "The Ultimate Grappler" and not "Fighter." I think I can remember one, maybe two fights on that show that weren't just grappling matches. What's up with that? I'm as big a fan of grappling as anybody, and love watching a good grappling match, but I watch this and not AbuDhabi competitions because I want to see some "mixed" martial arts.

Maybe I'm just bellyaching, but I'm really hoping to see some guys trade on their feet in at least a few fights this season. I think it'd just spice the show up a bit as opposed to what has come to define TUF, where two guys circle, one gets tackled, and then the other punches his gloves until the ref calls it. I want to see some wars! There have been a couple of great fights on the ground (Diaz/Maynard was a recent cool fight) so now I want to see what some of these TUF guys can do on their feet.
Calibretto9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 AM
LIE or DIE
 
6sidedlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,931
Blog Entries: 1
                     
There is usually such a jump in skill level in the grappling abilities of the fighters that it just makes more sence for them to take it to the ground I guess.

But yeah, I want to see some effin' wars. TUF 7: The Ross Pointon Story. Ross against 15 other dudes, and if he beats just one he gets a contract.



TEAM LORD:
1. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
2. Nate Marquardt
3. Goran Reljic
4. Amir Saddolah

RANKING: TBA
TOTAL POINTS: +TBA
6sidedlie is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 AM
SugaRUSH!
 
brownpimp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surrey, Canada
Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 1
                     
You are right, there aren't many HL reel KOs on TUF, but that is because these guys aren't at that level yet. And the guys that are good strikers, don't have a sprawl or ground game and end up just getting mauled on the ground. The TUF fights will never be as good as the UFC fights, but this season they haven't been bad.

Support Mixed Martial Arts, not Ultimate Fighting

brownpimp88 is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Welterweight
 
Calibretto9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,218
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sidedlie
There is usually such a jump in skill level in the grappling abilities of the fighters that it just makes more sence for them to take it to the ground I guess.

But yeah, I want to see some effin' wars. TUF 7: The Ross Pointon Story. Ross against 15 other dudes, and if he beats just one he gets a contract.
You're so getting repped for that. I busted out laughing. Haha, that's too freaking rich.

But yeah, you and BP88 make good points, and I'm definitely not harping on the show. It's a great show, no doubt. I'm just saying I want to see, just like you said, some Ross effin' Pointons! I want to see some guys bang it out. I'm really hoping Dan Barrera (Sp?) gets a guy who will bang with him, as his profile says he's got a decent boxing record and fought an Olympic medal winner. That'd be tight to see him get to throw leather with somebody who'd be willing to trade with him. Maybe him and Hightower?
Calibretto9 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 AM
LIE or DIE
 
6sidedlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,931
Blog Entries: 1
                     
and I missed tonights episode, can some one spoil the fight for me and tell me how it goes? Would be real appreciated.



TEAM LORD:
1. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
2. Nate Marquardt
3. Goran Reljic
4. Amir Saddolah

RANKING: TBA
TOTAL POINTS: +TBA
6sidedlie is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 AM
SugaRUSH!
 
brownpimp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surrey, Canada
Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sidedlie
and I missed tonights episode, can some one spoil the fight for me and tell me how it goes? Would be real appreciated.
That black guy, Dorien(Sp) fights Matt Arroyo from Team Serra. Black guy comes out strong, lands a pretty nice knee, gets taken down, gets pretty brutally pounded on, flops over, gets RNC'd in the first. Ownage.

Support Mixed Martial Arts, not Ultimate Fighting

brownpimp88 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Welterweight
 
Calibretto9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,218
                     
Yeah, it was a striker versus grappler matchup, but apparently the striker hadn't heard of underhooks or sprawling before. His takedown defense was sad, and he got whooped on the ground for it.
Calibretto9 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 AM
LIE or DIE
 
6sidedlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,931
Blog Entries: 1
                     
The guy with the MBA is out already? Haha, atleast the Arroyo dude sounds impressive.



TEAM LORD:
1. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
2. Nate Marquardt
3. Goran Reljic
4. Amir Saddolah

RANKING: TBA
TOTAL POINTS: +TBA
6sidedlie is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:01 AM
-I came|I saw|I failed-
 
plazzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The plazzVan
Posts: 9,734
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibretto9
I've been a fan of The Ultimate Fighter for a long time, love to follow these guy's careers as they get out of TUF, and truly consider many of them to be great fighters (Or potentially great fighters for the newer graduates). But, one thing that has always bothered me about this show is that it should be called "The Ultimate Grappler" and not "Fighter." I think I can remember one, maybe two fights on that show that weren't just grappling matches. What's up with that? I'm as big a fan of grappling as anybody, and love watching a good grappling match, but I watch this and not AbuDhabi competitions because I want to see some "mixed" martial arts.

Maybe I'm just bellyaching, but I'm really hoping to see some guys trade on their feet in at least a few fights this season. I think it'd just spice the show up a bit as opposed to what has come to define TUF, where two guys circle, one gets tackled, and then the other punches his gloves until the ref calls it. I want to see some wars! There have been a couple of great fights on the ground (Diaz/Maynard was a recent cool fight) so now I want to see what some of these TUF guys can do on their feet.
Maybe its the fact that its more difficult to out grapple someone and win by say a submission then just throw and KO someone. These guys probably want to look good and make an impression on potential fans and show they have some technical abilities.

Also, they most likely dont want to look like brawlers, because TUF 1 really stereotyped that. Or it could just be the fact that there isnt too many great strikers on the show, and the ones who are pretty good arent well rounded enough to avoid being taken down and pounded on.
plazzman is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Welterweight
 
Calibretto9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,218
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazzman
Maybe its the fact that its more difficult to out grapple someone and win by say a submission then just throw and KO someone. These guys probably want to look good and make an impression on potential fans and show they have some technical abilities.

Also, they most likely dont want to look like brawlers, because TUF 1 really stereotyped that. Or it could just be the fact that there isnt too many great strikers on the show, and the ones who are pretty good arent well rounded enough to avoid being taken down and pounded on.
I think your last point holds more water than your first, and I agree with it. I think it has more to do with their skill levels as opposed to their not wanting to stand. I think it also has something to do with what Fitch was saying in his post fight versus Diego. It's really hard to let 'em go on the feet with a guy who just wants to grapple. He'll just duck and shoot as soon as you start swinging. I guess I get spoiled by guys like Lyoto, Chuck, and Forrest, who are all guys who seem to be able to keep the fight where they want it and bang.

As for them not wanting to look like brawlers, I don't think that's the case. I can tell you, people are every bit as impressed by watching Anderson Silva's beautiful Muay Thai, the missiles Robbie Lawler calls his arms, or GSP crisp karate. If these guys could get the KO's, I'm sure they would, but I think you hit the nail on the head: They can't keep it standing.

I'm still hoping that a couple of them have that ability, though. I'd like to see some guys either decide to stand and trade, or some guys who have the ability to sprawl, get back to their feet, or shirk takedowns off.
Calibretto9 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome