MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Ultimate Fighter TV (http://www.mmaforum.com/ultimate-fighter-tv/)
-   -   Liddell’s “TUF 11” coaches could include Davis, Henson, Hackleman, Shields and Bravo (http://www.mmaforum.com/ultimate-fighter-tv/69969-liddell-s-tuf-11-coaches-could-include-davis-henson-hackleman-shields-bravo.html)

HitOrGetHit 01-08-2010 12:44 PM

Liddell’s “TUF 11” coaches could include Davis, Henson, Hackleman, Shields and Bravo
 
Quote:

Five-time light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell is quietly assembling a team for his second coaching stint on "The Ultimate Fighter."

Liddell begins filming the 11th season of the long-running series on Jan. 21 alongside rival coach and six-time light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz. According to UFC president Dana White, "TUF 11" is expected to feature 16 middleweight hopefuls will compete in the show's traditional tournament format.

MMAjunkie.com (mmajunkie.com) has learned of some preliminary picks for Liddell's coaching staff, who will be part of the show's six-week shoot.

According to multiple sources, Olympic gold medalist and American Top Team striking coach Howard Davis Jr. is under consideration as Liddell's boxing coach. Olympic silver medalist Sammy Henson is under consideration as the team's wrestling coach, and Liddell's longtime kickboxing trainer, John Hackleman, is expected to make a brief appearance.

For jiu-jitsu, Liddell is considering two coaches: Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields and rubber-guard guru Eddie Bravo.

Liddell (21-7 MMA, 17-6 UFC), 40, recently enlisted Shields for help on his own ground game, while Bravo has a longstanding relationship as his grappling advisor. Liddell was recently spotted at Bravo's school in Burbank, Calif.

Liddell was a coach on the inaugural season of the reality show opposite Randy Couture and coached Forrest Griffin and Diego Sanchez to show championships.

As is customary, Liddell and Ortiz are expected to fight at the conclusion of the series, which debuts March 31 on Spike TV. According to Geoff Rohoman of News1130 Radio, Liddell vs. Ortiz III could take place on June 12. As MMAjunkie.com reported on Wednesday, the UFC is expected to host UFC 115 at Vancouver's GM Place on that date.

Liddell has not fought since UFC 97, when he was stopped by Mauricio "Shogun" Rua; White publicly retired the fighter shortly afterward. The UFC president later softened his stance on Liddell's future and green-lighted another fight, though he admitted as recently as this past weekend that he was still trying to talk the former champion out of fighting.

Meanwhile, Ortiz returned to the octagon in November after an 18-month absence and lost a rematch to Griffin by unanimous decision, a call he disputes to this day.

For more on "The Ultimate Fighter 11" and UFC 115, check out the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...nkie&type=lgns

It seems as if Liddell will have a pretty solid coaching staff. If Jake Shields is the BJJ coach, will this mean that Shields will be out of action during the filming process as well?

leifdawg 01-08-2010 04:05 PM

I have a feeling Dana White will try and steer Chuck away from Shields because he is a Strikeforce champion.

Nefilim777 01-11-2010 06:39 AM

Eddie Bravo would be a great addition. Surely though he'd be a little busy to be there for the entire show? Either way, I'd be interested to see who Tito brings to compete with that line up.

HitOrGetHit 01-12-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefilim777 (Post 1088902)
Eddie Bravo would be a great addition. Surely though he'd be a little busy to be there for the entire show? Either way, I'd be interested to see who Tito brings to compete with that line up.

I agree. Liddell's fighters are going to be getting extremely good coaching! Tito will have a lot to compete with!

Davisty69 01-12-2010 02:00 PM

I would be thoroughly impressed if Chuck picked Eddie Bravo for his Jitz coach. Rubber guard FTW.

HitOrGetHit 01-12-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisty69 (Post 1090020)
I would be thoroughly impressed if Chuck picked Eddie Bravo for his Jitz coach. Rubber guard FTW.

I'll be we would see a whole lot of that on the show if Eddie Bravo was one of the coaches! :thumbsup:

The_Senator 01-12-2010 07:25 PM

I personally don't care about TUF, but I really want to see Liddell vs Ortiz III. And I think Tito has a good chance to revenge...

Davisty69 01-12-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Senator (Post 1090228)
I personally don't care about TUF, but I really want to see Liddell vs Ortiz III. And I think Tito has a good chance to revenge...

It would be like Rampage vs. Wandy III. Doesn't really prove much, but it does muddle the situation all to hell.

The_Senator 01-13-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

It would be like Rampage vs. Wandy III. Doesn't really prove much, but it does muddle the situation all to hell.
I think it means a lot for Liddell. What if he gets stopped. Dana White will start bringing up exactly the same speech, "Chuck was the most famous..." I'm sure Liddell does not want to hear that speech AGAIN about the past especially when his former victim has returned and avenged the previous losses. No matter what some people might say, but it is still a humiliation. Silva vs Jackson is a good example. So in my opinion Chuck has nothing to gain here (well, maybe except for a nice paycheck) and has something important to lose.

HitOrGetHit 01-13-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Senator (Post 1090870)
I think it means a lot for Liddell. What if he gets stopped. Dana White will start bringing up exactly the same speech, "Chuck was the most famous..." I'm sure Liddell does not want to hear that speech AGAIN about the past especially when his former victim has returned and avenged the previous losses. No matter what some people might say, but it is still a humiliation. Silva vs Jackson is a good example. So in my opinion Chuck has nothing to gain here (well, maybe except for a nice paycheck) and has something important to lose.

I think that Liddell has a very good shot at winning this fight. I don't see Ortiz getting a KO and I don't see him wrestling Liddell down either.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2