MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Ultimate Fighter TV (http://www.mmaforum.com/ultimate-fighter-tv/)
-   -   MMA is really OLD (http://www.mmaforum.com/ultimate-fighter-tv/821-mma-really-old.html)

Steeda3 07-05-2006 07:20 AM

MMA is really OLD
 
People are acting like MMA is something new....The fact is.....It's not... Bruce Lee discovered this back in the 60's.....It really shows how much ahead of his time....he really was......The things Matt Hughes, Royce Gracie and other fighters are doing now..Bruce was preaching about back then. Lee once told a reporter in Seattle back in 61 "Teach a man alittle bit of Boxing and Jui Jitsu and he would be unbeatable".

I was a little skeptical about this fella at first...but the more i read about him....The more i admire him....a one of a kind fighter....I wonder how he would have done in the UFC. He probably wouldn't have like it with rules and all...JEET KUNE DO was the worlds first Mixed Martial Art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLns...et%20Kune%20Do

The Don 07-06-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeda3
People are acting like MMA is something new....The fact is.....It's not... Bruce Lee discovered this back in the 60's.....It really shows how much ahead of his time....he really was......The things Matt Hughes, Royce Gracie and other fighters are doing now..Bruce was preaching about back then. Lee once told a reporter in Seattle back in 61 "Teach a man alittle bit of Boxing and Jui Jitsu and he would be unbeatable".

I was a little skeptical about this fella at first...but the more i read about him....The more i admire him....a one of a kind fighter....I wonder how he would have done in the UFC. He probably wouldn't have like it with rules and all...JEET KUNE DO was the worlds first Mixed Martial Art.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLns...et%20Kune%20Do

AMEN PREACH IT FROM THE MOUNTIAN TOPS.. I Been saying bascily the same thing for awhile now:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PaintMeBloodRed 07-06-2006 06:27 PM

I'm confused. Do you think you are telling us something new? Or did you just feel the need to make a useless thread?

The Don 07-06-2006 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintMeBloodRed
I'm confused. Do you think you are telling us something new? Or did you just feel the need to make a useless thread?

there are some people who either do not know or refuse to Acknowledge Bruce lee as one of the founding faters of modern MMA I am sure if you go back in History Bruce was far from the first but it might be alot harder to verify past Martial Artists who studided different styles with the idea of combining them.

Onganju 07-06-2006 08:21 PM

Not to be a MA Historian Elitist
 
Pankratian as a form of combat existed all the way back in the times of Ancient Greece. This form of combat involved wrestling, striking and submissions. In fact, it was present during the Ancient Olympiad Events.

When the Romans took over Greece and integrated their culture, they took Pankratian practitioners and began tying/lacing covers onto their fists in the forms of cestus. At first they were simple wraps, but the Romans began fashioning the cestus with spikes and blades. This turned Pankratian into a blood sport and continued to evolve into the Gladiatorial events where the fighters began to fight to the death.

Where Lee is truly a revolutionary force in the history of Martial Arts, is that during the height of the MA Renaissance of the 70's Lee was willing to openly denounce the traditional philosophies of the Martial Arts "Masters" that were widely accepted. Where forms, kata and strict adherence to the spiritualistic "zen" approach of Traditional Martial Arts were held as the end-all/be-all law of practitioners world wide, Lee decried it for being ineffective and obsolete. His research and creation of JKD was the embodiment of his efforts.

However, he wasn't the only Martial Artist that thought that way. Other famed practitioners like Mas Oyama and Gene LeBell were also under the same philosophy. It just so happens to be that Lee was the most prominent/famous of them all (having 6 world wide release movies works well that way).

Steeda3 07-07-2006 04:42 AM

Lebell taught Bruce Lee Judo.....Chuck Norris taught lee Kicks from Kickboxing....He studied Ali to get boxing and footwork down...and he learned Jiu Jitsu from Wally Jay....This guy was the real deal....I think in a no rules street fight this guy would be unbeatable.

The Don 07-07-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeda3
Lebell taught Bruce Lee Judo.....Chuck Norris taught lee Kicks from Kickboxing....He studied Ali to get boxing and footwork down...and he learned Jiu Jitsu from Wally Jay....This guy was the real deal....I think in a no rules street fight this guy would be unbeatable.

many martial artists who fought bruce in sparring sessions have said they would never want to fight him for real.. I think bruce would have entereed MMA becasue he liked to compete and I think it would have given him a chance to find flaws in his personal style. In his weight class no one I think would have been able to beat him and in open weight what he lacked in size his speed and power would have overwhelmed the heavier fighters though they would have had a better chance some of the top ones maybe even beating him at least once.. but just once.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2