MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Video Games (http://www.mmaforum.com/video-games/)
-   -   Most despicable protagonist in a video game (http://www.mmaforum.com/video-games/150505-most-despicable-protagonist-video-game.html)

Bonnar426 11-19-2013 02:29 PM

Most despicable protagonist in a video game
 
How bad does the hero have to be to actually make you root for the villain. The creators of these game tries so hard to get you to relate to the main character but for one reason or another you just end up hating him/her.

I recently played Soul Calibur 5 and I have to say I considered it to be one of the most generic titles I have ever played. I can go into a lot about why this title fails but for now I will focus on the one aspect- are "hero" Patroklos. Throughout story mode this guy comes off as a whiny little douchebag who doesn't listen to others and never had real character development. The first thing he does in story mode is kill some guy for no real reason and without remorse. He took joy in killing this guy and for some reason the game wants me to root for him? What a piece of shit. That one act alone made me despise this asshole.



You know who I think is the most despicable protagonist but who do you think wins this title?

M.C 11-19-2013 03:18 PM

Tidus/Squall, can't stand either of them.

My favorite would probably be Francis York Morgan from Deadly Premonition.

Bonnar426 11-19-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C (Post 2411193)
Tidus/Squall, can't stand either of them.

My favorite would probably be Francis York Morgan from Deadly Premonition.

100% of pure awesomeness.



Tidus was annoying. "I'm star player of the Zanarkan Abes and this my story." I never could understand how the main character of this game isn't the protagonist. FFX was telling Yuna's story and Tidus came along just for the ride.

There was somebody else I thought sucked and I'll probably catch a lot of shit for it. The reason I didn't care too much for Saints Row 2 is because I didn't care for "The Boss." I'm fully aware that were playing a bad guy who is doing immoral things but their is something about him that really makes me want to hate him. I thinks its because this guy lacks personality. Think about it of all the characters in this game he is the one that comes off as completely bland. Maybe that's just me but that is the way I see him.

Edit: I should proof read before posting lol

M.C 11-19-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnar426 (Post 2411393)
100% of pure awesomeness.



Tidus was annoying. "I'm star player of the Zanarkan Abes and this my story." I never could understand how the main character of this game not be the protagonist. FFX was telling Yuna's and Tidus came along just for the ride.

There was somebody else I thought sucked and I'll probably catch a lot of shit for it. The reason I didn't care too much for Saints Row 2 is because I didn't care for "The Boss." I'm fully aware that were playing a bad guy who is doing immoral things but their is something about him that really makes me want to hate him. I thinks its because this guy lacks personality. Out of all the characters in this game "the boss" seems to be the only one that lacks humanity.

Man I love that game (Deadly Premonition), I wish more people would have played it. Such a great game and crazy characters.

I never played Saints Row 2 to be honest. I liked Saints Row the Third and I got near the end of Saints Row 4 and then my save file glitched. I'm not sure who "The Boss" is.

Hammerlock2.0 11-19-2013 05:12 PM

Not sure if it really counts because it was a manga/anime first but I've been playing some Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 recently and Naruto is easily the most boring character in the whole universe. There are characters who do not even speak who are more interesting than him.

The blonde girl from Resident Evil 4... I forgot her name. Most annoying protagonist/good character in any video game ever.

Kratos. Can't stand the guy, don't see why people like him. He's just an overall asshole.

M.C 11-19-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerlock2.0 (Post 2411481)
Kratos. Can't stand the guy, don't see why people like him. He's just an overall asshole.

To be fair that's why people like him. The vast majority of protagonists in video games are good-hearted people who are trying to stop the obvious evil bad guys. It's refreshing to play as a bad guy who will willingly kill anybody who stands in his way of getting what he wants. He's a sadistic, murderous monster, and it's fun playing that side of a story as it doesn't happen very often.

Bonnar426 11-19-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C (Post 2411465)
Man I love that game (Deadly Premonition), I wish more people would have played it. Such a great game and crazy characters.

I never played Saints Row 2 to be honest. I liked Saints Row the Third and I got near the end of Saints Row 4 and then my save file glitched. I'm not sure who "The Boss" is.

He's the head of the Saints. He's the one whose looks you can custom make and then play throughout the whole game. They never gave him a name so everybody just call him "Boss." Like I said, he's the only one in SR2 that comes off as bland.


Joabbuac 11-20-2013 10:44 AM

I love me a good asshole protagonist, Whiny bitchs can fuk off though.

Hammerlock2.0 11-20-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C (Post 2411505)
To be fair that's why people like him. The vast majority of protagonists in video games are good-hearted people who are trying to stop the obvious evil bad guys. It's refreshing to play as a bad guy who will willingly kill anybody who stands in his way of getting what he wants. He's a sadistic, murderous monster, and it's fun playing that side of a story as it doesn't happen very often.

It was fun the first time. After that it got tedious for me.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2