What game(s) are you playing? - Page 411 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Video Games The Gamer's hangout!

 126Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #4101 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 07:10 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,735
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Yeah... those reviews are also "opinion".

Actually tons of reviews dont actually make a cent for reviewing the games. They maybe make money from the hits their websites get but thats it. There is alot more websites out there then just IGN who review games.

Uhh okay thanks for the random life lesson.
No life advice, just saying there are many things out there that people say aren't good, yet if you try it yourself you would enjoy.

This is basically all anyone needs to know about reviews. Here's a video of IGN's review of Sonic Lost World. The audio is of the review and the video footage is of someone playing the game, proving the reviewer to be incompetent at gaming. The guy reviewing the game sucks so bad at playing it that he gave it a low score.

I don't really have anything else to say on the subject, most of it is just a rant.

M.C is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4102 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM
All Around Nice Guy
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,760
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
No life advice, just saying there are many things out there that people say aren't good, yet if you try it yourself you would enjoy.

This is basically all anyone needs to know about reviews. Here's a video of IGN's review of Sonic Lost World. The audio is of the review and the video footage is of someone playing the game, proving the reviewer to be incompetent at gaming. The guy reviewing the game sucks so bad at playing it that he gave it a low score.

I don't really have anything else to say on the subject, most of it is just a rant.

Again IGN.

No wonder you have such a negative opinion about Reviewers.

SideWays222 is offline  
post #4103 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 07:28 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,735
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Again IGN.

No wonder you have such a negative opinion about Reviewers.
Quote:
The journalist recollects that Kane & Lynch publisher Eidos threatened to pull ad revenue from Gamespot as a result of his negative review, causing management to panic and decide that Gerstmann was unreliable.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...xplains-story/

The guy was fired for not giving a game a high score because the publisher threatened to pull the ad revenue they were giving Gamespot. Most big game websites are the same, they get paid to inflate the scores of game reviews. IGN is just an easy target with many examples.
M.C is online now  
post #4104 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 07:33 PM
All Around Nice Guy
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,760
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...xplains-story/

The guy was fired for not giving a game a high score because the publisher threatened to pull the ad revenue they were giving Gamespot. Most big game websites are the same, they get paid to inflate the scores of game reviews.
Which is why i pointed out i mostly avoid big mainstream websites for reviews. If i do use those websites i go there mostly for the user reviews. The only reason i brought up gamespot was to show you that even some mainstream websites have given deadly premonition a good score. When at the time you had me believing the reviews were going to be horrible.

Stuff like you pointed out happens. Though it isnt as common place as you seem to think it is. And which is why i also pointed out that i take a look at much more then 1 or 2 reviews when researching a game. Sometimes il go through user opinions and read 100 review in a short time. From my experience iv found myself agreeing with the majority opinion somewhat often. So whatever works.

SideWays222 is offline  
post #4105 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,735
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Which is why i pointed out i mostly avoid big mainstream websites for reviews. If i do use those websites i go there mostly for the user reviews. The only reason i brought up gamespot was to show you that even some mainstream websites have given deadly premonition a good score. When at the time you had me believing the reviews were going to be horrible.
What review sites do you go to? Destuctoid, Gametrailers, IGN, Gamesotp, Eurogamer, Gameinformer, Polygon and so on are all paid just like Gamestop/IGN is paid.

So, before a review can be taken seriously (for me), I have to first have to establish its on a website that isn't bought out, then have to establish that the person reviewing it doesn't have a history of getting paid for his reviews, then have to establish that the person playing it doesn't just straight up suck at the game or has a bias against (or for) it. I'd rather just look at a YouTube video, see if the gameplay looks interesting, then pick it up and see for myself.

Anyways, basically the point is reviews said Knack isn't that good of a game, I decided for myself that it looks interesting and then bought it, and so far it's the best game I've played on PS4.

If you like reviews or trust them or whatever that is fine, you are certainly not the only one.
M.C is online now  
post #4106 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:06 PM
All Around Nice Guy
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,760
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
What review sites do you go to? Destuctoid, Gametrailers, IGN, Gamesotp, Eurogamer, Gameinformer, Polygon and so on are all paid just like Gamestop/IGN is paid.

So, before a review can be taken seriously (for me), I have to first have to establish its on a website that isn't bought out, then have to establish that the person reviewing it doesn't have a history of getting paid for his reviews, then have to establish that the person playing it doesn't just straight up suck at the game or has a bias against (or for) it. I'd rather just look at a YouTube video, see if the gameplay looks interesting, then pick it up and see for myself.

Anyways, basically the point is reviews said Knack isn't that good of a game, I decided for myself that it looks interesting and then bought it, and so far it's the best game I've played on PS4.

If you like reviews or trust them or whatever that is fine, you are certainly not the only one.
I use Forums, Blogs, User Reviews, and more.

Off the top of my head i can think of

Youchew, Cheatmasters, Blastoutyourstereo, PlaystationOfficalMagazine, EdgeMagazineUK, Gameplanet, GodIsAGeek, ArcadeSushi, DarkStation, Worthplaying, DigitalSpy, Metacritic and many more.

I also use GOOGLE to find random blogs, Real People opinions/reviews, Random Reviews.

I use Youtube to look at Gameplay footage.

I make sure to find Reviews of the person playing the game while talking about it.

Etc Etc.

And i use my common sense to weed out useless reviews.

Maybe if i was rich i could get away with playing every game out there but i am not rich. Id rather not spend 60$ on an average/bad game. If the gameplay looks interesting to me i might go to redbox and rent it for a couple of days and see if its a good game in spite of the opinions iv read on the net. Most of the time its not. I actually cant think of in recent memory where a game was getting majorly blasted and when i played it i liked it. Usually i can see what most people are talking about.

Both IGN and Gamespot also have user reviews and forums. Iv not been contacted by a company that they are going to pay me to give a positive review after i posted something negative and the user reviews iv posted have not been erased. So id say those are safe.

And can i ask you which Companies are buying which websites in their favor???


"Edit"
And a side question

You said Knack is the best PS4 game youv played yet and that you would have missed out on it if you cared about reviews. Can i ask you how many PS4 games you currently own???
And iv seen reviews from people who enjoy Knack. And they point out if you like that style of gaming and dont care too much about graphics or a huge array of moves that you should still buy Knack and you can have alot of fun with it. So i dont believe that if you listened to those reviewers you would have missed out on a "Great Experience". I think if you did more research then just IGN or Gamespot that you would have found yourself in the category of the people who positively score the "Gameplay" experience and you still could have bought the game. Thats why reading lots of reviews from normal people is important. They dont lower the games score because the graphics arnt great or the game does not have more then 3 skills. They grade it mostly by how much fun they had playing.

SideWays222 is offline  
post #4107 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:42 PM
The American Psycho
 
Bonnar426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,307
                     
Edit! Double post!

You forget that this isn't just some brutal sport where everyones out to kill each other. Its much more like a game of physical chess.-looney liam
Bonnar426 is offline  
post #4108 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 PM
The American Psycho
 
Bonnar426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,307
                     
Beat KOTOR. I will admit though this was a hollow victory. I chose to be a Sith and got the crappy ending. Still this was a fun game up until that last part that is. Imagine having to climb three levels of a space station fighting waves of sith apprentices and war droids just to get to Malek only to find out you needed 48 computer spikes (mainly because my computer skills suck) and you were short by 8. I was so close only to find out I had to start the Star Forge level over again. Epic fail.

You forget that this isn't just some brutal sport where everyones out to kill each other. Its much more like a game of physical chess.-looney liam
Bonnar426 is offline  
post #4109 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 PM
The American Psycho
 
Bonnar426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,307
                     
Hey M.C.

You said you bought a PS4 and Xbox One right? Which one would you say is the superior console? Or are they both equally good?

You forget that this isn't just some brutal sport where everyones out to kill each other. Its much more like a game of physical chess.-looney liam
Bonnar426 is offline  
post #4110 of 9662 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:39 PM
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 10,112
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnar426 View Post
Hey M.C.

You said you bought a PS4 and Xbox One right? Which one would you say is the superior console? Or are they both equally good?
Obviously I'm not MC but I own a ps4 and my good friend got an xbox so I've messed around with it quite a bit and honestly everything that I can say makes me lean one way is pretty much preference and personal opinion. There is nothing glaringly better from either.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome