What game(s) are you playing? - Page 546 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Video Games The Gamer's hangout!

 69Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #5451 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,898
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
If I injured my leg, and someone says "Well actually, you tore your meniscus"....I still know I'm hurt.

Man, you PC guys reaaaaaaly are douches about it aren't you?

*Plays GTA 5*
That is a terrible example. If I were to say man I have so much frame rate then that literally means that I have a high FPS, which is the exact opposite of stuttering or having low FPS. So having "no frame rate" would indicate that you have terrible fps. It isn't a matter of speaking too technically, it is using the word in a total incorrect way to describe your situation.

So using your example, it would be like you saying your leg is fine and that somehow meaning that you injured it.

Don't think it makes us douches because we know what frame rate means.


-Always Supporting-
Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Demian Maia - Miesha Tate - Claudia Gadelha - Jessica Eye - Tecia Torres

Come watch me make a fool of myself on YouTube
HitOrGetHit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5452 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitOrGetHit View Post
That is a terrible example. If I were to say man I have so much frame rate then that literally means that I have a high FPS, which is the exact opposite of stuttering or having low FPS. So having "no frame rate" would indicate that you have terrible fps. It isn't a matter of speaking too technically, it is using the word in a total incorrect way to describe your situation.

So using your example, it would be like you saying your leg is fine and that somehow meaning that you injured it.


Don't think it makes us douches because we know what frame rate means.
...

So woman logic?




Rookie Hammer Squad 2015
Frankie Edgar - Dominick Cruz - Jorge Masvidal - Cat Zingano - Holly Holm
Hammerlock2.0 is offline  
post #5453 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM
The 45%
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 12,090
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitOrGetHit View Post
That is a terrible example. If I were to say man I have so much frame rate then that literally means that I have a high FPS, which is the exact opposite of stuttering or having low FPS. So having "no frame rate" would indicate that you have terrible fps. It isn't a matter of speaking too technically, it is using the word in a total incorrect way to describe your situation.

So using your example, it would be like you saying your leg is fine and that somehow meaning that you injured it.

Don't think it makes us douches because we know what frame rate means.
So if I use the wrong phrase (something which is quite commonly said).....I'm wrong about everything else I'll ever say?

You put it across like I "don't know what I'm talking about" just because I used the wrong expression.



Thanks to Ape for the sig.
ClydebankBlitz is offline  
post #5454 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,898
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
So if I use the wrong phrase (something which is quite commonly said).....I'm wrong about everything else I'll ever say?

You put it across like I "don't know what I'm talking about" just because I used the wrong expression.
I said it was probably an error and never said that you didn't know what you are talking about.

And it isn't that "common". I have literally been working with computers for years now and have been playing/watching people play games for even longer and have rarely heard of that "expression". As I said, stuttering does have to do with frame rates. But saying someone has a lot of frame rate to indicate NOT having a lot of frame rate is just using the term in an incorrect way as it means that exact opposite of what you are trying to say. It is more commonly used the proper way.

You could say man my frame rate is garbage or man it sucks.

But like I said I didn't say you don't know anything. I have no idea of your background. But if someone were to always say they have "frame rate" to say they have stuttering would make people think they don't have a great understanding of how frame rates work.

Not douchey PC gamer talk. This is basic knowledge of computers. (Which includes consoles)


-Always Supporting-
Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Demian Maia - Miesha Tate - Claudia Gadelha - Jessica Eye - Tecia Torres

Come watch me make a fool of myself on YouTube
HitOrGetHit is offline  
post #5455 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 AM
The 45%
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 12,090
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Why are you explaining it to me? Before you even posted I acknowledged that the term isn't correct.



Thanks to Ape for the sig.
ClydebankBlitz is offline  
post #5456 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Lightweight
 
prospect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,851
                     
I've been gaming on consoles for more than 10 years and as much as I know that pc gaming is better looking and " better controls " But the console experiences beat the pc experiences for me.
Like the mgs series. And the DMC series.
Also it's much much much cheaper to own a ps4 than to own a good enough pc that can reach the bench marks you claim you get.

For a pc you'd probably spend money on the hardware every year. But the console you just get it and worry about the games .
That's why you won't like pc gaming if you don't like playing with the hardware ( like a true nerd ) .

And honestly for me I don't care about the graphics difference. It won't affect my opinions whatsoever. It's the gameplay that matters. And I can say that pc gaming probably is better.... thats why I'm giving it a shot.


Also it's nice to see nerds stick out for each other. You guys can be defensive about your pcs!! Lol
prospect is offline  
post #5457 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:00 PM
The 45%
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 12,090
Blog Entries: 2
                     
^MGS is something I was going to quote. I reckon I'll be more impressed by the MGS 5 graphics than in any PC game ever.

Same with graphics. I absolutely love The Walking Dead Game for example.



Thanks to Ape for the sig.
ClydebankBlitz is offline  
post #5458 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:37 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,985
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
They might BE superior, but I don't notice the difference. It's like when everyone told me I sooo totally need to get a HD TV. I still dont even see the difference.

People use the term frame rate to describe jumps in their game. Never actually thought about how inaccurate the expression is until now.

Jeez. Do you get commission for every time someone says they prefer PCs? I'm not trying to insult you personally mate. I just don't like it. I like nothing about the controls, can you even play 2 player? And I don't really like a single one of the main PC not-console games. It's like when people told me I need to get an Xbox because it had more games...like Halo and Gears of War? No thanks.

And for the record, had I known nothing about this stuff I probably wouldn't have finished top of my Games Development course.
If you can't tell the difference between SD and HD (no clue how this is even possible), then graphics aren't an advantage for you.

Frame rate, Hit already touched on that. Consoles lack the proper amount of frames per second (especially last gen and older consoles like the PS3), which make console versions of games play factually worse than PC versions. It's not an opinion, games that play at higher frames per second perform better and give a better gaming experience.

Yes, you can play 2 player. You can also use your TV as a monitor and sick back on the couch, or you can use a wireless keyobard/mouse, you can use any monitors/TVs/couch/chair/a hundred different controller methods/however you want to play, with a higher frames per second, better graphics, mods, and all at a cheaper price because games are cheaper on the PC. PC is about options, want to play using your TV as a monitor? Do it. Want to use a controller instead of a keyboard? Do it. Want better graphics? You have it. Don't like the field of view? Turn it up. Not a fan of the motion blur? Turn it off. Want to raise the resolution? By all means. Want to add mods to enhance the life of the game and make it last longer? Right on the mods are right over there, enjoy. Options my friend, options.

I have nothing against you not liking PC, I was just confused as to why given all the major advantages PC gaming has over console gaming. I like consoles just as much as I like PC gaming, as I said my 3DS/Wii U are my currently most played platforms I have, but I'd never say that consoles were superior to PC gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
I've been gaming on consoles for more than 10 years and as much as I know that pc gaming is better looking and " better controls " But the console experiences beat the pc experiences for me.
Like the mgs series. And the DMC series.
Also it's much much much cheaper to own a ps4 than to own a good enough pc that can reach the bench marks you claim you get.

For a pc you'd probably spend money on the hardware every year. But the console you just get it and worry about the games .
That's why you won't like pc gaming if you don't like playing with the hardware ( like a true nerd ) .

And honestly for me I don't care about the graphics difference. It won't affect my opinions whatsoever. It's the gameplay that matters. And I can say that pc gaming probably is better.... thats why I'm giving it a shot.


Also it's nice to see nerds stick out for each other. You guys can be defensive about your pcs!! Lol
No, you do not need to upgrade your PC every year to out perform the PS4/play games. Any mid/low-range $500-600 PC out performs the PS4. The PS4 had outdated hardware before it was even released, game developers are already struggling to make every game 1080p, and most of those games at 1080p run at 30 frames per second (the bare minimum for a game to be playable). You can buy a mid range PC and not have to upgrade for quite a few years, unless you really wanted to.

If you want to get technical, most people don't believe the PS4/Xbox One will live longer than just a couple of years. You know why? Because the hardware is anemic and before the console even launched game developers were maxing out the console. 2 years from now the difference between PC and console will be higher than it has ever been because these "next gen" consoles weren't next gen even when they launched.

It's not about being "nerds", it's about correcting faulty information, just like any other topic. If you say something that's completely false and we correct it, it doesn't make us nerds, it makes us more educated on the subject and we feel we should correct you.
M.C is offline  
post #5459 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,898
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
I've been gaming on consoles for more than 10 years and as much as I know that pc gaming is better looking and " better controls " But the console experiences beat the pc experiences for me.
Like the mgs series. And the DMC series.
Also it's much much much cheaper to own a ps4 than to own a good enough pc that can reach the bench marks you claim you get.

For a pc you'd probably spend money on the hardware every year. But the console you just get it and worry about the games .
That's why you won't like pc gaming if you don't like playing with the hardware ( like a true nerd ) .

And honestly for me I don't care about the graphics difference. It won't affect my opinions whatsoever. It's the gameplay that matters. And I can say that pc gaming probably is better.... thats why I'm giving it a shot.


Also it's nice to see nerds stick out for each other. You guys can be defensive about your pcs!! Lol
Bolded part is also untrue unless you just feel like upgrading every year.

Building a PC is more expensive but you aren't just building a gaming console. You are getting something that can do that and much much more so that is where the price comes in. The hardware is also at a higher level obviously making it more expensive. A gamin console is just a very small part of what an actual PC can do which makes sense as to why there is a price difference.

I enjoy both though. I will never own just a PC or just a Console. They both have a lot of good. They both have exclusive titles. I enjoy the console being small and much more portable so if I go out of town for an extended period of time I can just pack it up and go. Due to the price difference and the fact that people don;t feel like researching, building and troubleshooting a PC, I know more people that just have consoles. So it is always nice to have them to play with others.

PC I enjoy because of how amazing they are performance wise. Some people don't care about graphics or frame rate or whatever. I do though. The better the graphics, the better the immersion for me. I like having a game running at 1920x1080 that is killing it in the frame rate department. It just makes it that much more for me. Other people don't care and that's cool for them.

But that's just my piece. I generally try not to get too far into console/PC gaming because it is hardly ever a rational conversation on either side. And at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Whatever gets you going is what you should stick with.


-Always Supporting-
Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Demian Maia - Miesha Tate - Claudia Gadelha - Jessica Eye - Tecia Torres

Come watch me make a fool of myself on YouTube
HitOrGetHit is offline  
post #5460 of 9071 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Lightweight
 
prospect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,851
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitOrGetHit View Post
Bolded part is also untrue unless you just feel like upgrading every year.
There isn't any bolded part So I suggest you edit it before the " nerds " attack you
prospect is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome