Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Get ready for one of the dumbest, short-sighted, and career-damaging statements EVER in the history of the UFC.

Not to mention insulting.

But first, put your hand up if you are a huge fan of Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (keeping in mind that it would have to include both his fighting and his acting careers).

Now I know what you’re thinking (that’s right—I’m in your head and there’s not a damn thing that you can do about it!), why both? Can’t it just be one or the other?

Sorry, fight fans—like it or not, they have definitely become a packaged deal.

At least, that’s what “Rampage” is obviously counting on when he stated the following at a recent interview in London, where he was promoting the highly energetic A-Team movie:

“Honestly, when movies start paying me as much, just as much, same amount; I gotta keep up my lifestyle—I’m like done with fighting. Right now, fighting is my bread; it’s my living.”—Q. Jackson

Translation: My heart just isn’t into fighting any more. I am only in it for the paycheque and as soon as another paycheque of an equal or greater value comes along, preferably as a movie star, I will quit fighting in a heart-beat.

Hmmm...so in the meantime, fans are supposed to give a crap about any of his upcoming fights, right?

Wrong.

You can put your hands down now, by the way.

What really boggles my mind is that “Rampage” honestly feels that he has anything to gain in this life by disparaging his career as an MMA fighter.

Why does he honestly think that he has had any of the “acting” opportunities that he has had up until this point?

Because of his Oscar-calibre acting skills?

No—because the movie production companies are anxious to cash-in on the tremendous revenues created by MMA fans worldwide—that’s why. It’s his “popularity” with MMA fans that they want—not Rampage’s “inner-Shakespeare.”

They are simply using him.

So here’s the history lesson:

Jackson was loved by MMA fans for his epic battles and entertaining personality. They all respected his “street warrior” mentality. Personally, I just enjoyed seeing him slam guys onto their heads—something that we haven’t seen since his inception into the UFC.

In September 2009, Jackson wrote in a blog on his website that he was “done fighting,” due to maltreatment by the UFC. Boo hoo.

Then in December 2009, Jackson informed the MMA community (again—via his web blog) that he was ready to return to the UFC to finish his contract and that he desperately wanted to fight Rashad Evans.

Dana White eagerly agreed and in specific preparation for this fight, Jackson appeared for a second time as a coach on the reality series The Ultimate Fighter opposite Evans (epic fail). Both men were initially scheduled to fight at UFC 107, but this bout was cancelled when Jackson opted to take a movie role instead, in order to play B. A. Baracus in The A-Team feature film—a “boy-hood” dream come true (puke). I like to refer to this stage of Jackson’s career as “the beginning of the end.”

Somehow and somewhere, Dana White and “Rampage” eventually kissed and made-up. Probably because Jackson was still under contract with the UFC and White wasn’t about to make it easy on him, particularly after Jackson bailed on the UFC (and its fans), launching a painful string of pay-per-view let-downs.

At the UFC 107 press conference, White said that if Evans could defeat Thiago Silva at UFC 108, then a fight between Evans and Jackson would finally come to fruition. Okay—better late than never, I guess.

The fight against Evans would determine who would challenge Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in his first UFC Light Heavyweight title defence. To the surprise of many, Jackson ended up losing to Evans via unanimous decision. Hardly worth the hype as Jackson looked to be at his worst.

On March 24, 2010, Dana White announced that Jackson had signed a new six fight contract with the UFC.

Jackson is now expected to face Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida at UFC 123. Believe me fight fans—this fight won’t be nearly as competitive as you might hope that it will be. My prediction is that Jackson will deliver another disappointing effort and get knocked out in the first round—you heard it here first.

Look—it’s okay to want more from life. We all have goals (or at least we should, so if you don’t have any—go get some!) and I think that it’s really cool that Jackson wants bigger and better things for himself.

Seriously, I do.

The problem I have is that Jackson is foolishly burning the bridge at both ends.

He wants out of fighting?

Fine—get out!

Retire!

See ya around!

Thanks for the fond memories!

But if he thinks that by announcing to the world that his motivation (and let’s not forget loyalty) have now taken a back-seat to his other aspirations, and that the fans will continue to respect and support him—he is sorely mistaken.

With every fight that Jackson completes on his newly acquired six fight contract, he will lose more and more respect from the fans who will see that his heart just isn’t in it. Sure, he could try to hide it, but he’s just not that good of an actor (obviously).

How many fight fans out there would give up their left nut to be able to have the opportunity to fight in the UFC just one time?

Hands up!

So once Jackson manages to alienate and disappoint all of his remaining MMA fan-base, how many movie production companies do you think will still be interested in him?

My guess: the big “Zero.”

Here’s some free advice for my buddy, Rampage...

Success has clearly gone to your head. Live in the moment and enjoy what you have. Stop being such an ungrateful, spoiled brat and maybe—just maybe—your “fans” will support whatever and anything that you do in this life.

I know I would.

We know that you can’t fight forever and nobody is expecting you to.

But as a general consensus, fighters need to fight for the love of fighting. Money and opportunity aren’t supposed to be the prime motivators. Simply the benefits that come from hard work and success.

Just don’t betray us all by thinking that we don’t care about such things as honesty, integrity, and the good ‘ol fashioned love of punching someone in the face.

You should do whatever makes you happy and whatever you are the most passionate about. How will you know when you’ve found it?

:confused02:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSjOrj5O9Ks&feature=player_embedded#at=164

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-drops-an-atomic-bomb-on-both-of-his-careers

Is this not a onesided article on Rampage :confused02: Let me know what you guys think!!

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
U gotta realize rampage got into fighting to support his family in the first place. Hell fighter as a career takes a lot out of you. Rampage is not ingnorant he see the work he puts in and the pay (which most already thinks is unfair). Rampage knows he can't be fighting and making a living at early 40. SO why hate if he is picking a safer and better career.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I think this article is getting blown out of proportion, just like anything else Rampage seems to say. To say he doesnt have heart when he trains his ass off for a fight is stupid, he is basically stating what any logical person who is looking into the future would say.

Not everyone is named Randy and can fight till the age of 50. Rampage is already thinking ahead to his future outside MMA, whats the problem?

Rampage looked sloppy in the Rashad fight, but that was mostly ring rust. If Rampage truely didnt care for MMA, he would come in unprepared and collect his pay.

Preparing for a fight takes a lot of time, and you can see he puts that into his fights still.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Get ready for one of the dumbest, short-sighted, and career-damaging statements EVER in the history of the UFC.

Not to mention insulting.

But first, put your hand up if you are a huge fan of Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (keeping in mind that it would have to include both his fighting and his acting careers).

Now I know what you’re thinking (that’s right—I’m in your head and there’s not a damn thing that you can do about it!), why both? Can’t it just be one or the other?

Sorry, fight fans—like it or not, they have definitely become a packaged deal.

At least, that’s what “Rampage” is obviously counting on when he stated the following at a recent interview in London, where he was promoting the highly energetic A-Team movie:

“Honestly, when movies start paying me as much, just as much, same amount; I gotta keep up my lifestyle—I’m like done with fighting. Right now, fighting is my bread; it’s my living.”—Q. Jackson

Translation: My heart just isn’t into fighting any more. I am only in it for the paycheque and as soon as another paycheque of an equal or greater value comes along, preferably as a movie star, I will quit fighting in a heart-beat.

Hmmm...so in the meantime, fans are supposed to give a crap about any of his upcoming fights, right?

Wrong.

You can put your hands down now, by the way.

What really boggles my mind is that “Rampage” honestly feels that he has anything to gain in this life by disparaging his career as an MMA fighter.

Why does he honestly think that he has had any of the “acting” opportunities that he has had up until this point?

Because of his Oscar-calibre acting skills?

No—because the movie production companies are anxious to cash-in on the tremendous revenues created by MMA fans worldwide—that’s why. It’s his “popularity” with MMA fans that they want—not Rampage’s “inner-Shakespeare.”

They are simply using him.

So here’s the history lesson:

Jackson was loved by MMA fans for his epic battles and entertaining personality. They all respected his “street warrior” mentality. Personally, I just enjoyed seeing him slam guys onto their heads—something that we haven’t seen since his inception into the UFC.

In September 2009, Jackson wrote in a blog on his website that he was “done fighting,” due to maltreatment by the UFC. Boo hoo.

Then in December 2009, Jackson informed the MMA community (again—via his web blog) that he was ready to return to the UFC to finish his contract and that he desperately wanted to fight Rashad Evans.

Dana White eagerly agreed and in specific preparation for this fight, Jackson appeared for a second time as a coach on the reality series The Ultimate Fighter opposite Evans (epic fail). Both men were initially scheduled to fight at UFC 107, but this bout was cancelled when Jackson opted to take a movie role instead, in order to play B. A. Baracus in The A-Team feature film—a “boy-hood” dream come true (puke). I like to refer to this stage of Jackson’s career as “the beginning of the end.”

Somehow and somewhere, Dana White and “Rampage” eventually kissed and made-up. Probably because Jackson was still under contract with the UFC and White wasn’t about to make it easy on him, particularly after Jackson bailed on the UFC (and its fans), launching a painful string of pay-per-view let-downs.

At the UFC 107 press conference, White said that if Evans could defeat Thiago Silva at UFC 108, then a fight between Evans and Jackson would finally come to fruition. Okay—better late than never, I guess.

The fight against Evans would determine who would challenge Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in his first UFC Light Heavyweight title defence. To the surprise of many, Jackson ended up losing to Evans via unanimous decision. Hardly worth the hype as Jackson looked to be at his worst.

On March 24, 2010, Dana White announced that Jackson had signed a new six fight contract with the UFC.

Jackson is now expected to face Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida at UFC 123. Believe me fight fans—this fight won’t be nearly as competitive as you might hope that it will be. My prediction is that Jackson will deliver another disappointing effort and get knocked out in the first round—you heard it here first.

Look—it’s okay to want more from life. We all have goals (or at least we should, so if you don’t have any—go get some!) and I think that it’s really cool that Jackson wants bigger and better things for himself.

Seriously, I do.

The problem I have is that Jackson is foolishly burning the bridge at both ends.

He wants out of fighting?

Fine—get out!

Retire!

See ya around!

Thanks for the fond memories!

But if he thinks that by announcing to the world that his motivation (and let’s not forget loyalty) have now taken a back-seat to his other aspirations, and that the fans will continue to respect and support him—he is sorely mistaken.

With every fight that Jackson completes on his newly acquired six fight contract, he will lose more and more respect from the fans who will see that his heart just isn’t in it. Sure, he could try to hide it, but he’s just not that good of an actor (obviously).

How many fight fans out there would give up their left nut to be able to have the opportunity to fight in the UFC just one time?

Hands up!

So once Jackson manages to alienate and disappoint all of his remaining MMA fan-base, how many movie production companies do you think will still be interested in him?

My guess: the big “Zero.”

Here’s some free advice for my buddy, Rampage...

Success has clearly gone to your head. Live in the moment and enjoy what you have. Stop being such an ungrateful, spoiled brat and maybe—just maybe—your “fans” will support whatever and anything that you do in this life.

I know I would.

We know that you can’t fight forever and nobody is expecting you to.

But as a general consensus, fighters need to fight for the love of fighting. Money and opportunity aren’t supposed to be the prime motivators. Simply the benefits that come from hard work and success.

Just don’t betray us all by thinking that we don’t care about such things as honesty, integrity, and the good ‘ol fashioned love of punching someone in the face.

You should do whatever makes you happy and whatever you are the most passionate about. How will you know when you’ve found it?

:confused02:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSjOrj5O9Ks&feature=player_embedded#at=164

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-drops-an-atomic-bomb-on-both-of-his-careers

Is this not a onesided article on Rampage :confused02: Let me know what you guys think!!
Who cares. Jackson is saying what alot of people think. This is what I do to pay the bills and I'm good at it, but if someone offered me the same amount of money to do something I love, I'd stop what I'm doing now and do what I love.

Who cares.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Frank Mir, Rashad, Cung Le, GSP and countless others have acting careers.

Where are articles criticizing them for offering a "packaged deal"? :sarcastic12:

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Hmmmmmm be on a set of a movie drinking jo and eating doughnuts or in a dank gym for 4 months??????? This "Atomic Bomb" isnt something we already knew. Rampage will never be as hungry as he was simple. But that does not mean I wont watch his fights....My hand is still up

·
Registered
769 Posts
like he said, there is allways a risk going into the cage and now he can earn the same ammount or more for just standing in front of a camera. His family is more important so i can understand it, even though i love to see him fight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
He was never that passionate about fighting anyway, lets face it.. he only did it so he could support his family like any good family man does. How many of you here do a job you don't particularly like just so you can support your family?

Give the guy a break.. he sees other avenues which can give him more money and help him support his family and his future better, I see nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry article writer but I'm gonna have to back Rampage on this one. As others have said, the man has a family to support, I don't understand why it goes any further than that.

Reactions: Thelegend

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
Just to be a bummer, but this is exactly what Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) did in WWE - When the money from movies becomes the more appealing of the two choices it just makes sense to make the jump... No matter how many fans will be dissapointed... He's gotta think about his family first, not his fans...

I will be sad if/when he leaves :/

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
The main reason I find this post to have no credibility is the massive amount of assumptions and opinions in it. You even went as far as to take a quote and translate it into what you wanted it to mean.

There are actually a few actors who were previously popular because of other careers that have successfully transitioned into well-paid actors. The fact that you're assuming Rampage can't is just asinine.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Im just gald to see im not the only one who sees this as not a big deal.(lol +rep all around). Im a huge page fan and i think this article is just taking things completely out of context. He never said it was a "package deal", he said what anybody in his position would think and say if they wanted to. why get punched in the face if you can make the same or more making just a few movies?

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Did you guys even read the OP? He never once said Rampage shouldn't act. He is just stating his opinion that Rampage's comments were a bad PR move. So maybe calling it an atomic bomb was a little bit over the top, but it doesn't invalidate the opinion entirely.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts