Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of this lends its hand to Dustin winning. Ultimately, I just can't see that happening lol...

·
The Title Guy
18,062 Posts
I have to disagree because I think Poirier stands a good chance of winning. Both men are different fighters since their last fight and going up one weight class helps out.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
The only thing not mentioned was possible substance abuse. I say possible, because I don't think anything's been confirmed, but Conor's losses came at a time when his behavior in general was quite erratic. I can't help but think that was linked to his performances.

I don't think he has these issues today. I think he'll handle Porrier fairly easily.

·
The Title Guy
18,062 Posts
Khabib was the better man overall in their fight and I can guarantee that his losing had nothing to do with PEDs.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
The only thing not mentioned was possible substance abuse. I say possible, because I don't think anything's been confirmed, but Conor's losses came at a time when his behavior in general was quite erratic. I can't help but think that was linked to his performances.

Conor's SBG teammates Gunnar Nelson and Artem Lobov showed mental lapses and cardio issues,the same time Conor did.

That would seem to indicate substance abuse / partying.

But maybe they were staying up all night binging off late night bingo.

I wouldn't claim to know.

·
The Title Guy
18,062 Posts
I won't deny that clearly there is something going on with SBG if there are those issues but it doesn't necessarily mean that there is substance abuse. Though I would agree that maybe partying might be a problem considering the people we are talking about.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
it doesn't necessarily mean that there is substance abuse.

This was back when Gunnar Nelson fought Demian Maia.

And Gunnar Nelson had those weird mental lapses and cardio issues in that fight.

Artem Lobov faded and had cardio issues in I think the Cub Swanson fight and maybe a few other fights I don't remember.

·
The Title Guy
18,062 Posts
Well either way Artem is enjoying his bare knuckle boxing career at this point and is apparently doing better in that discipline then in MMA. But yeah it is possible but they seem to have figured out that it wasn't helping them because they are doing better now.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
The consensus is that Poirier punished the right calf which opened up the punches. Is it that simple? If so, simple adjustment, and Conor may avenge this loss.

Of course, could be more complicated than that. Did fatigue play a role in Conor not checking those kicks? Is rust a factor? Is Conor's timing and accuracy off a tad? He looked sharp, but Poirier's head movement enabled him to move with many of those shots. He never looked hurt. Never looked fatigued.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
I see a few different sides to the Conor accuracy debate.

The first is a theory that says the more someone trains at 100% intensity the more accurate and sharp they'll be. You'll see guys try to find ways to go hard without being injured or injuring their sparring partners to reap benefits of this. The rumor mill says, SBG used to pad up Artem Lobov in heavy protective gear. And Conor would go 100% full intensity on him with his kickboxing. And that may have been one of the training methods behind Conor developing his accuracy. I'm not certain how Conor trains today, but he may have gotten away from that.

The second is an urban legend that claims drugs like cocaine have negative effects on athlete's timing and coordination. It could be common for MMA fighters with mental lapses, timing and coordination issues to have substance abuse issues of some type.

The 3rd side of it is Mike Brown being Dustin Poirier's coach. Mike Brown received best coach in MMA awards in 2019 or 2020.

4th Dustin Poirier has always been a consummate professional and one of the toughest competitors in the sport.

·
The Title Guy
18,062 Posts
Well it might be as simple as what Conor said in the post fight interview where he admit that he basically had ring rust without actually using the phrase. But yeah Mike Brown might also have something to do with it as Dustin Poirier is always improving. Either way it is a set back and we will see what happens.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
One thing, too, is the weight cut. Conor has not been at 155 for more than 2 years. He hasn't won at 55 for more than 4 years. (Cerrone bout was at 170) It's one thing getting down to weight, another performing at it. I never believed it was a good idea for him to fight at 170, unless he was willing to stay there.

Might the solution just be a matter of him camping at 155 for a while?

·
The Title Guy
18,062 Posts
Well like he said he just needs to get some matches down there and I agree that him bulking up for welterweight may not have helped his performance. Though I should note that he's at the ideal weight and body type for lightweight and as a welterweight he's undersized. I agree that he's in the top five of the weight class and getting matches will help him.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Let's hope. The man was invincible (seemingly) for a while. Wouldn't mind seeing a little more of that while he's still young. There were glimpses of it in round 1.

·
The Title Guy
18,062 Posts
That's interesting considering he has bulked up in the past to welterweight and looked really bulked in those fights and actually had to cut weight in past fights. Clearly as we witnessed from this last fight he didn't have any kind of cardio issues. He just didn't have a good enough game, though he would've defeated various other fighters at lightweight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts