Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I believe he said it was a tough weight cut. I would think it would have to have been, having been walking around heavy for so long.

It's also hard on the body, whether you get there easily or not. 155 is, in many respects, a different world than 170. Different speed, different strategy.

I'm trying to think of a situation where someone dropped to a lower class and didn't look really bad their first time. Cormier comes to mind. No others, especially at the smaller weights.

Point is, Conor needs stay at 155 for a while if he's going to reach his goals there.

·
The Title Guy
18,062 Posts
Yeah he did take a long layoff and his last fight was at welterweight so yeah he would have a harder weight cut this first time back.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

@ 6:21

Conor: "Its not even a weight cut."
It's very likely, he was able to drop the weight without too much trouble. That's a good sign going forward. The issue is adjusting to that weight. It's a different speed, different strategy, different world from 170. He needs stay at 155 for a while. Recalibrate, so to speak.

·
The Title Guy
18,062 Posts
Yeah that might've been part of the problem. Though he did move very similar to how he fought as a lightweight when he fought Donald Cerrone at welterweight.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts