Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UFC’s global expansion has been a goal of the promotion for several years. Stretching out into England, German, Australia, and many other areas has kept everyone in the industry on their toes, and now with a Canadian office opening, more expansion is on the way.

UFC president Dana White told MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday in Toronto that they would be "aggressive" and increasing the number of shows they do might be the first step in that.

With the Canadian UFC office set to open and Tom Wright leading the operation, three shows a year north of the border could be a possibility, and White believes there's only one direction to go from there... up.

"Yeah probably, who knows," White said about doing three shows a year in Canada. "As this thing continues to grow, and understand it's a work in progress. When we bought this company we were doing five fights a year. If you would have told me six, seven years ago that we'd be doing 34 fights a year, I'd say it's impossible. It will never happen, that's crazy.

"We're probably going to end up doing 100 fights a year."

One hundred fights a year may sound like a lofty ambition, but six years ago 34 fights would have sent most people's heads spinning. Now with the roster of fighters deeper than ever and the pool growing every day, global expansion and more shows only seem likely.

White believes that at some point there will be simultaneous shows going on globally, as the UFC looks to expand into China and India very soon, and European shows are expected as well.

"We could have a show here on Saturday night, and five more going on in five other countries," said White. "That's what's eventually going to happen."

From everything White has said so far, the focus now is Canada and China, but anything is possible.

Expansion isn't a possibility at this point... it's a certainty.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11605&zoneid=13

Pretty ambitious to say the least. What does everyone think of Dana's target?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
That's exactly what I'm hoping for, but I don't think it will happen without a supervising MMA organisation similar to the UEFA or the FIFA. 100 cards sounds a bit much though, I'd be perfectly happy with a card a weekend. Obviously you can't have all these cards on PPV so UFC needs to make a deal with a big sports network so every card is on TV for free (bar the usual costs for viewing the channel). The UFC would have to drastically change their business model though. What Dana is talking about here is MMA expanding, not the UFC. If he really wants to control all of MMA the UFC has to become that supervising organisation.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
100 shows a year sounds too ambitious.
I am not buying this. At least not now or for the next 5 years. Even though the sport of MMA has evolved so fast.
Maybe a show/week. That sounds more realistic.
But even so, that would mean the UFC would have to sign a lot of fighters in order to organise that many events. You can't have the same fighters fight over and over again. This is not tennis :).
Plus, the UFC would have to make deals with some television in order to promote their shows. Something like Ultimate Fight Night.
Wait and see....

·
Registered
411 Posts
It could happen, if the UFC expands so much that it becomes MMA and they basically have every fighter on the planet. You could have it like boxing where there are Friday Night Fights, fights on Sunday, etc and they would be the free cards.

I don't like the idea of big cards happening at the same time in different countries though. That would be a waste, but I'm sure that's just Dana trying to hype things up and get articles written.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
This would be a good idea, but there are some stipulations. Whether it is the UFC, or MMA putting out 100fights a year, all of the fights cannot be on PPV. I think that is everything worked out well, it would succeed. A lot of sports have long seasons so this wouldn't be much different.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
that sounds cool, but the payscale would have to change and at that point i dont know if they would be able to stay a private company. if you put on that many shows it means the company has grown exponetially and they would have to be more regulated, have a union, and other things they dont have to worry about at the moment.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I don't think it's total crap.

Just say they keeps doing the same amount of shows they're doing now in the US. Then go up to maybe 10 shows a year in Canada, 5 shows a year in the UK and add several shows a year in each of the following countries; Germany, Australia, China, UAE, Brazil, the Philippines and Mexico. With an eventual aggressive expansion to Japan with 10 shows a year there.

I can see them doing 60 shows a year right there basically. With a relatively conservative global expansion of the sport they are easily well on their way to 100 shows a year. Say 5 to 8 years down the road?

As the sport really takes off, I think with a change in the ruling system, such as red/yellow cards, more aggressive separations, getting rid of the 10-point-must and maybe the elimination of elbow strikes the sport will become more legitimized and popular in the mainstream.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The article is confusing as Dana refers to "fights", not "shows". He says, "We're probably going to end up doing 100 fights a year." If its "shows", then it would be 2 every week (52 weeks in a year). Seems like overkill to me. If its televised "fights", then it would be 5 fights per card (not counting televised prelims) and a show every 2.5 weeks.

"Fights" probably means, "shows" in this context. But 2 shows (cards) a week seems a bit much.

Personally, I'd prefer fewer quality fights as I don't think Dana's "stable" has enough quality match-ups to meet his ambitions. Especially the way he keeps cutting fighters.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
i think they should run country specific UFC's. like UFC UK and UFC Canada etc. as sort of like feeder shows and have the UFC as their main brand. If they did that i could easily see 100 shows a year, am all for the UFC monopoly of MMA, regardless of what people think it would be great for fans.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
I say way in the Future 2 fights a week isnt that unbelievable... He said himself there would be 2 fight nights going off at different country's... To say 100 is pretty high, but its refreshing to talk and read about my favorite sport getting bigger in the future

·
Registered
209 Posts
I personally would like to see a few more shows but it is kinda like fried green tomatoes , i love them but if I had it for every meal I surely wouldnt love it as much. If you get something all the time you dont enjoy it as much. ....

My wife uses that explanation all the time when I ask for a certain something...ugghhhh:sarcastic12:

Maybe it would drive the price of the ppv down though.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I personally would like to see a few more shows but it is kinda like fried green tomatoes , i love them but if I had it for every meal I surely wouldnt love it as much. If you get something all the time you dont enjoy it as much. ....

My wife uses that explanation all the time when I ask for a certain something...ugghhhh:sarcastic12:

Maybe it would drive the price of the ppv down though.
well theres 162 major league baseball games in a season for each team and 30 teams. yet lots of people still go to the ballgame. you just pick which teams are your favorite and which games you really want to go to. and then there are the real fanatics who memorize every player and every stat.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
He certainly did say 100 fights and not shows but I think he meant 100 fight cards. The UFC already do over 100 fights a year all inclusive.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.