Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
DP's Queen
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, there are many discussions on different venues about this 2012 doomsday theory. With the movie coming out soon, everybody has some kind of opinion on the topic. I regularly like checking the Discovery Channel and National Geographic websites and both have articles attempting to scientifically debunk these apocalyptic theories.

It seems that it has sent some people into serious panic and some are considering suicide.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/091106-2012-movie-end-world-fears-maya-predictions.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/091106-2012-end-of-world-myths.html

What do you guys and girls think about this?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Its total bullshit. This is just the next in a long line of end of the world theories that are based upon crack pot theories that ignore facts. The people that believe this type of thing are the first ones to "drink the coolaide" or "jump on back of the comet". People forget that the Hysteria...excuse me, the history channel is an entertainment network and they are just like any other cable channel in that they will do whatever they can to keep people glued to the screen. Pure shenanigans, im calling it.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
fear is a great way to make ppl consume, kind of like Y2K.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
hahahahaha

its the best thing i have ever heard in my life, anyone who honestly believes this is retarded. anyone choose to study mayan history as an elective credit? i did, lol its just when their calendar ends, there isnt even a word in their language for "dooms day" or end of times, its laughable grown adults believe this. i mean its fun to think about but so totally unfounded that its ridiculous to even speculate it as a possibility.

·
Banned
3,238 Posts
There are a ton of theorys out that lend evidence to support this type of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAtgPaggeTM

I've watched all 6 of these videos a couple times. It makes me laugh when we learn that the "prophets" from back in the day were actually just high outta their tree when making their predictions.

I think it is all one gigantic coincidence.

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Its total bullshit. This is just the next in a long line of end of the world theories that are based upon crack pot theories that ignore facts. The people that believe this type of thing are the first ones to "drink the coolaide" or "jump on back of the comet". People forget that the Hysteria...excuse me, the history channel is an entertainment network and they are just like any other cable channel in that they will do whatever they can to keep people glued to the screen. Pure shenanigans, im calling it.
Word.

fear is a great way to make ppl consume, kind of like Y2K.
Exactly.
hahahahaha

its the best thing i have ever heard in my life, anyone who honestly believes this is retarded. anyone choose to study mayan history as an elective credit? i did, lol its just when their calendar ends, there isnt even a word in their language for "dooms day" or end of times, its laughable grown adults believe this. i mean its fun to think about but so totally unfounded that its ridiculous to even speculate it as a possibility.
WINNER!!! There is nothing in the Mayan predictions that has ANYTHING to do with the end of the world. And it's been pissing me off for the last 5-6 years that this is ALL you hear from the 2012 yappers. Do some f*ckin research on it or shut the f*ck up. Also, the movie is a piece of shit. It's only 2009 they just couldn't wait a couple more years to exploit and bank on these BS theories. Try being more creative next time asswipes. And good job on inducing unneccesary panic and suicidal thoughts.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
believing this is similar to believing a presidential candidate is actually going to change something (or live up to his campaign promises)

c wut i did thar
Yes, I c. I am not worried about this particular issue, except whether or nor it will produce a sci-fi/horror movie that I want to see.

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
This is BS at its best.

Weren't we all supposed to die in 2000 already?
No we were supposed to die in the 70s from the next ice age. Oh wait I think we were supposed to all die from the Commies and nukes back in the 50s. No, wait...we were supposed to all die waaaay back in 1000 due a 4 digit number being our new year...but that was only cuz God hadn't smited us yet.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
i find it funny because these people that predict this base it of and support it with Biblical references. However if you actually read it it also says that no man will know the hour day month or year of the apocalypse. yet people say they can and say it will happen on dec 21 2012.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
If the Maya were so great at predicting the future, then how the hell weren't they even able to foresee their own downfall and prevent it? :laugh: These guys didn't even make it until the conquistadors showed up and destroyed the rest of the central American kingdoms. It's like reading a guide on how to build a durable ship, written by the guy who designed Titanic.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
There is no biblical record or anything that has anything to do with 2012. In the bible, book of Revelations, it says that no man can predict the day of my coming. So, in short, don't trust man made dates.

That is, of course, if you are a christian. Which I am, so 2012 will just be another year.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Are you going to see the one with John Cusack...I think it comes out next week or tomorrow.

It looks very similar in its unbelivableness as the Day After Tomorrow.
IDK. I got distracted by trying to figure out what the particular type of apocalypse was in The Road. I haven't seen it advertised much, it seems to have been bumped by The Road and the ads for what I heard was the sucktacular Paranormal Activity.

The best postapocalyptic movie would be the big screen version of The Stand (miniseries was OK but could have been much better).

The only non-lame thing about the 2000 fervor was Millennium, the series with Lance Henriksen.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
IDK. I got distracted by trying to figure out what the particular type of apocalypse was in The Road. I haven't seen it advertised much, it seems to have been bumped by The Road and the ads for what I heard was the sucktacular Paranormal Activity.

The best postapocalyptic movie would be the big screen version of The Stand (miniseries was OK but could have been much better).

The only non-lame thing about the 2000 fervor was Millennium, the series with Lance Henriksen.
Ah yes, Millennium was a great, great show. I still get to catch episodes of this on the Chiller channel. I liked this show better than X-files. I was bummed when the show got cancelled, probably got replaced by some god awful reality show. My favorite episodes were the ones that featured the deliciously evil Lucy Butler.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts

If I was some movie bigwig I'd do the stand, but trim some stuff, books are longer than movies. The series included too many minor events.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts