Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Props to Florian for the win. But let's be truthful here: he utilized one weapon before kicking it into high gear. And that's not boxing.

If the long jab was "boxing," then everyone should eat their respective words for any criticism of Timmy's reign. Boxing is feints, lowering of levels, combinations, and effective use of power and speed. A right step jab repeated ad nauseum is not any of the previous description.

The following is truth:
Florian effectively used a weapon for which Gomi had no answer.
The repetitive use of the singular weapon was astounding in its effectiveness.
The repetitive use of said weapon, as well as Gomi's inability to counter such a one-dimensional attack, led to boredom for the viewer.
Florian then turned on the juice in the third and showed why he's arguably the #2 LW.

·
Registered
240 Posts
No, it is not boxing but it is an integral part of boxing. Many champs made their name with a staple jab. It is one area of MMA that I ALWAYS felt could be exploited; fire a hairpin jab. A good jab prevents engagement, prevents takedown, and can control and win fights. Kenny looked pretty good with that jab and it worked. Sure a pure boxer would make that jab look better, pivot on the front foot to "check hook" off, follow with a body shot to uppercut...but boxing isn't kenny's discipline. But imagine if more MMA fighers incorporate good jabbing and other boxing tactics into their game....

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Ok, so Florian out 'Fist2Face'd Gomi and then submitted him with a lightly clothed neck hug from behind....

Call it what you will. Florian > Gomi and that's the end of discussion.

The jab is to boxing what boxing is to MMA... A good start.

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
Sorry, but I don't see the point of this thread? Clarifying that a stiff jab does not encompass all that is boxing seems pretty unnecessary to me.

Florian did a good job and used boxing skills to stifle a top level fighter.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Props to Florian for the win. But let's be truthful here: he utilized one weapon before kicking it into high gear. And that's not boxing.

If the long jab was "boxing," then everyone should eat their respective words for any criticism of Timmy's reign. Boxing is feints, lowering of levels, combinations, and effective use of power and speed. A right step jab repeated ad nauseum is not any of the previous description.

The following is truth:
Florian effectively used a weapon for which Gomi had no answer.
The repetitive use of the singular weapon was astounding in its effectiveness.
The repetitive use of said weapon, as well as Gomi's inability to counter such a one-dimensional attack, led to boredom for the viewer.
Florian then turned on the juice in the third and showed why he's arguably the #2 LW.
What? The jab punch is one of the most integral parts of boxing. The four main striking components are the Jab punch, Cross-body punch, hook punch, and uppercut punch. And by the way, what Florian did is called the stick-and-move. Its very effective, obviously.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Gomi outboxed Kenny. Kenny landed a bunch of jabs in the first round but got outboxed for the rest of the fight until the takedown. Which is why Kenny went for the takedown Gomi landed a good amount of clean hooks to his chin and body and a ton of jabs to the face and body in the second and third.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Gomi outboxed Kenny. Kenny landed a bunch of jabs in the first round but got outboxed for the rest of the fight until the takedown. Which is why Kenny went for the takedown Gomi landed a good amount of clean hooks to his chin and body and a ton of jabs to the face and body in the second and third.
Really? Thank god its April Fools Day.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Whatever it is....share.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, but I don't see the point of this thread? Clarifying that a stiff jab does not encompass all that is boxing seems pretty unnecessary to me.

Florian did a good job and used boxing skills to stifle a top level fighter.
Timmy did a good job and used boxing skills to stifle the elite of the hw division during his reign.

:confused05:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The argument seems to be that since Florian didn't wear 8oz gloves, he wasn't boxing.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
The argument seems to be that since Florian didn't wear 8oz gloves, he wasn't boxing.
Well according to the OP it was because he didn't throw combinations.... :confused05:

In my mind boxing is when you get into a guard and I don't know...box. You know throw jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts maybe. And he threw a jab...wait a minute...thats boxing.:sarcastic12:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Incorrect.

Well according to the OP it was because he didn't throw combinations.... :confused05:

In my mind boxing is when you get into a guard and I don't know...box. You know throw jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts maybe. And he threw a jab...wait a minute...thats boxing.:sarcastic12:
So a front kick ad nauseum is Karate.
Or a push kick ad nauseum is Muay Thai.
Or constant guard is Jiu Jitsu.
Gotcha.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Incorrect.

So a front kick ad nauseum is Karate.
Or a push kick ad nauseum is Muay Thai.
Or constant guard is Jiu Jitsu.
Gotcha.
On the contrary, many arts include the strikes you just innumerated. Front kicks are very common among Karates, Kung Fus, and some MTs. Same goes with Front/Side thrust kicks(i assume thats what you meant by push kick). As for guard, that is commonly a staple of jujitsu, but is sometimes taught in MMA oriented wrestling and some forms of Japanese Jujitsu that include more than the standing portion of grappling.

The jab punch is a staple of boxing. Without the influences of boxing, those guys would be throwing reverse punches at one another(exaggeration, but the point is valid). Also, why you goin' latin, can't you say things in english?

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
^well the jab is a large part of boxing
a kick can be muay tai,kickboxing.

how many boxers use the jab ad nauseum? are you just hating kenny here? if it wasn't boxing then i feel bad for gomi as he allowed himself to be straight punched in the face ad nauseum.........

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Your correction is incorrect.
I made no correction.
And I never said anything in reference to gloves.

^well the jab is a large part of boxing
a kick can be muay tai,kickboxing.

how many boxers use the jab ad nauseum? are you just hating kenny here? if it wasn't boxing then i feel bad for gomi as he allowed himself to be straight punched in the face ad nauseum.........
Boxers use other weapons than solely the job. Any hooks used? Uppercuts? Body shots?

It wasn't boxing. Kenny utilized his reach well, and I have no doubt those stingers did enough to disorientate Gomi. They were crisp rights, and Gomi's head went back each time. But it wasn't "boxing."

1 - 20 of 45 Posts