Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the drama surrounding Anderson Silva's ufc 112 performance is ridiculous.

Anderson is clearly fed up with the lack of competition in his division and rightfully so, i am not suprised he resorted to his showboating as he is simply in a league of his own in comparison to top middleweight contenders like bisping,belfort,maia,sonnen and marquardt.

I truly believe by permanently moving to the light heavyweight division he would not be able to showboat like he did against maia. Put him in the cage with Shogun, Rashad, Lyoto, Rampage or Jon Jones and he is bound to lose one fight.

If Shogun defeats Lyoto at 113 he has to move up and fight for the title, I think this will instill a great deal of motivation in Anderson to keep focused rather then resorting to justifiable yet ridiculous antics.

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts

Anderson is clearly fed up with the lack of competition in his division and rightfully so, i am not suprised he resorted to his showboating as he is simply in a league of his own in comparison to top middleweight contenders like bisping,belfort,maia,sonnen and marquardt.

I truly believe by permanently moving to the light heavyweight division he would not be able to showboat like he did against maia. Put him in the cage with Shogun, Rashad, Lyoto, Rampage or Jon Jones and he is bound to lose one fight.

If Shogun defeats Lyoto at 113 he has to move up and fight for the title, I think this will instill a great deal of motivation in Anderson to keep focused rather then resorting to justifiable yet ridiculous antics.

thoughts?
My thoughts end with Machida staying Champ and Anderson looking at his future in the LHW division and starts talking about the HW division lol...

I 100% agree that it would force WAY more exciting fights, but the current LHW Champ isn't going anywhere and that ends the conversation there lol...

But if Anderson does go to HW there are some interesting fights there, as long as he stays away from Brock, Cain, and Carwin....

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Yeah I agree completely, there's nothing for him at MW. The problem is actually making that happen. It'll be far better for the sport in general but I'm still unsure as to whether Silva would even bother.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
As long as Silva wont fight Lyoto then there is no point. Im not interested. Neither are they.

Its obvious Silva gets a hard-on at the thought of fighting at HW. I say go for it Anderson! Show us your full potential against the big lumps. The truth is, absolutely nothing will do more for Silvas legacy than capturing the HW belt. He knows this. We all know this. Beating GSP is great, but getting the HW belt seems so absurd that if he pulls it off he will never EVER be forgotten. He will become the Ali of MMA.

·
Registered
33 Posts

thoughts?
Agree 100%, the drama was ridiculous and its not fun for anyone to keep feeding him these average fighters.

I think there are a lot more exciting fights at LHW for him like Rashad/Rampage, Jones, Shogun etc.

The only problem is if Lyoto wins then hes not gonna fight for the title. Still makes more sense to me than going down to WW for just one guy.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Anderson needs tough guys, guys who make him sweat - and the only guys who do this are at LHW. He needs to face tough guys like Rashad, Shogun, Machida etc. Eventually he'll permanently move up, for most people ideally that'd be after the Sonnen fight, but I see Chael really giving him some trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I just wish some MW fighters step up. I can't really blame him or them for this but if anderson will not fight for the title then he deserves to be the champion at some weight class. He would have a really hard time taking the HW belt from guys like Carwin, Lesnar and Cain. What we really need is for someone in the MW class to just become that good. Not saying it won't be hard but that is the ideal situation for me.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I agree he should move to LHW. I am not so sure about HW, especialy with big bullys like Carwin and Brock, and even JDS and Cain.
But for him to fight at LHW..there a just so many posibilities: Shogun, Rashad, Rampage, T. Silva...and last but not least Jones.
It will bring new motivation in Silva, he won't make the same things like against Maia and he would have the chance to prove himself against better competition.
So, i give a :thumbsup: for him going to LHW.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I don't agree that there are no interesting fights left at MW. I still want to see him face Chael Sonnen and if he gets past him, Vitor Belfort. They are 2 very interesting challenges for Silva. One is an Olympic-calibre wrestler that's just dominated a former title challenger; and the other is one of the best boxers in MMA, and would be the first true test of Silva's striking in the UFC. I don't think he needs to move up in weight permanently at all. I'm more than happy to see him float around the divisions and getting the best fights possible. He certainly shouldn't completely move away from fighting at 185 as far as I'm concerned.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
As long as Lyoto is in charge, Anderson ain't moving nowhere, which is sad. A fight between the two of them would be epic. Somebody mentioned Anderson capturing the HW title, i quite frankly don't see it happening. Anderson wouldn't stand a chance against a grappler as big as Brock, for example.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
As long as Lyoto is in charge, Anderson ain't moving nowhere, which is sad. A fight between the two of them would be epic. Somebody mentioned Anderson capturing the HW title, i quite frankly don't see it happening. Anderson wouldn't stand a chance against a grappler as big as Brock, for example.
Thats probably true, but I give Anderson more chance of beating Brock then I do of Maia or Hardy beating Silva and GSP respecivly. If the UFC can put those mismatches on, then why not Silva vs Brock? Par the course, surely?

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
If Andy were to go up to LHW, he would certaninly have to face several competitors befores having a chance at the title,
so when he reached the top of the ladder, probably Machida wouldn´t be the champ, so i don´t see Machida as the problem in going up to LHW.

The real problem is his age, the man has 34 yo, so being a fighter that relys on speed and agility he has to think in something that can be achieved quickly cause he will loose those eventually.

My guess is that the HW ladder is not as big as the LHW one, therefore, i see it as the only path for him to relly become a legend.

Go HW Andy and give the fans the show they deserve to see.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
As long as Silva wont fight Lyoto then there is no point. Im not interested. Neither are they.

Its obvious Silva gets a hard-on at the thought of fighting at HW. I say go for it Anderson! Show us your full potential against the big lumps. The truth is, absolutely nothing will do more for Silvas legacy than capturing the HW belt. He knows this. We all know this. Beating GSP is great, but getting the HW belt seems so absurd that if he pulls it off he will never EVER be forgotten. He will become the Ali of MMA.
im with you man

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
Who cares if people don't think he can beat Brock?
It would still be nice to see Anderson worried about his opponent for once instead of vica versa.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Who cares if people don't think he can beat Brock?
It would still be nice to see Anderson worried about his opponent for once instead of vica versa.
Word.

I actually wish the UFC would divide HW into two divisions - Heavyweights and Super Heavyweights - I think Anderson would be able to hang with most 235ish pounders, but his problem would be with freaks of nature like Brock and Shane Carwin. A fight like Anderson Silva vs. Cain Velasquez would be incredible. I doubt it'll ever happen, but a fight like that would give Anderson a serious threat, but it would be much more possible than a fight with a behemoth.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Word.

I actually wish the UFC would divide HW into two divisions - Heavyweights and Super Heavyweights - I think Anderson would be able to hang with most 235ish pounders, but his problem would be with freaks of nature like Brock and Shane Carwin. A fight like Anderson Silva vs. Cain Velasquez would be incredible. I doubt it'll ever happen, but a fight like that would give Anderson a serious threat, but it would be much more possible than a fight with a behemoth.
no, no, no, no, no, no. no more ******* weight classes because one more always leads to one more and it will become as bad as boxing

·
Registered
877 Posts
NO.

He hasn't finished his last three title defenses.

He doesn't deserve to move up to LHW.

Despite possesing amazing MMA skill set, he has developed an over-defensive, boring, almost riskfree striking style where the level of action in his fights depend wholly on his opponent's willingness to engage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NO.

He hasn't finished his last three title defenses.

He doesn't deserve to move up to LHW.

Despite possesing amazing MMA skill set, he has developed an over-defensive, boring, almost riskfree striking style where the level of action in his fights depend wholly on his opponent's willingness to engage.
So can GSP move up as he hasnt finished his last 2 fights?

Silva has had 11 UFC fights and finished 8 of them, how does he not deserve it.

So what if he's got bored of fighting cans, the answer isnt for him to stay at MW its for him to move up and face tougher fighters that will offer him some challenge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.