Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

A Womans Divison?

3K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  Boo 
#1 ·
Do you guy's think a womans division could work in the UFC?

I mean boxing has one, kickboxing has one, why not MMA? In fact, I remember seeing some old IFC tapes that had a few womans matches.

What do you guy's think? It could be interesting and entertaining. :D

Pogo

#2 ·
It could... I think a better question is whether or not a Women's Division is something that the American populace could actually take seriously. Otherwise, the only real competitive Woman's MMA is going to occur outside of the states (as it currently is).

#4 ·
It will probably happen! My only hope is that it doesn't turn out like women's wrestling in the WWE! That would be so tacky!

#5 ·
Bonnar426 said:
It will probably happen! My only hope is that it doesn't turn out like women's wrestling in the WWE! That would be so tacky!
hey i like the divas:D

#6 ·
They should test it out as an UFN not a PPV... see the audience response. There are leagues that have females fighting in the states...WFL.tv

#8 ·
I think we need to make UFC mainstream first. Because as much as we all would like to believe it, it is not. I tried talking to my friend today whome has watch the last 5 PPVs with me, and he thought Rich Franklin is a nobody. Its sad the majority of UFC fans dont know anyone beyond Liddell, Ortiz, and Hughes. Most people know what UFC is but 90% of people have no knowledge of it.

#9 ·
Esotera said:
They should test it out as an UFN not a PPV... see the audience response. There are leagues that have females fighting in the states...WFL.tv
True... But not too many of them are getting paid any serious money here in the states to be able to do that as a Full Time job. A lot of homegrown talent here is fighting outside of the states in order to actually get paid close to what they are hoping to be paid. To be realistic, they probably make the debuting fighter's pay for the UFC look like a windfall inheritance in comparison.

MMA freak said:
They aren't as strong and it would be laughable. You can put it in seperate PPVs with UFC but not in a UFC PPV, that would literally destroy the company people would be outraged.
UGH! This is exactly the f'n view that I'm talking about. Can you truthfully watch this video here of Megumi Yamushita and say that she doesn't have skill or strength? What about this video here of Watanabe Hisae(who happens to be the current DEEP womens champion)? Are we going to completely disregard skill? Hell, Royce Gracie was probably the smallest and weakest man out of all the entrants in the early UFCs, yet his presence completely revolutionized how the combat arts are viewed. Was he laughable when he triangled Dan Severn?

But back to the point: That view is plain mysogynistic... And I am being very nice on this. Just as it is with the UFC/Pride debate, can we not take some time out to to appreciate those in the ring that have skill; regardless or gender?

asskicker said:
I think we need to make UFC mainstream first. Because as much as we all would like to believe it, it is not. I tried talking to my friend today whome has watch the last 5 PPVs with me, and he thought Rich Franklin is a nobody. Its sad the majority of UFC fans dont know anyone beyond Liddell, Ortiz, and Hughes. Most people know what UFC is but 90% of people have no knowledge of it.
I vehemently agree. Which brings up another point. Regardless of whether a set womens' MMA competitions would be readily acceptable to the fans on this side of the pond, MMA has to become mainstream first. As much as that may dismay some folks, it is the truth. Hell, it took centuries before Womens' boxing became a reality. What more of MMA where most of the populace either confuses it for the WWE or "human **** fighting?"

#10 ·
Nope.

Dont even make me laugh.

Women. MMA. Mainstream? UFC?

It is a complete joke.

Men play the warrior role in entertainment. Thats why it is ok for men to fight each other. Its cool.

Women are eye candy in media. No one wants to see two women hit each other, and bleed. Its not hot. Its ugly and sweaty, and stupid for women to do that. If they HAVE to, let them verse the men, and get massacred. That should halt it completely.

For other sports, it was fine. Not fighting. Dont let American women take away the only thing that is truly ours, and ONLY ours.

#12 ·
Well seeing how the UFC has become more popular then boxing in the US i doubt it is "bairley around" lol, what a rediculous statement to make.

I think it would be hard for the US to accept and appriciate(sp?) but i know they can fight, i've rolled with girls before and when i first started submission wrestling i actually got beat by a girl before.

#13 ·
The bodies of men and women are different.

Its why we hunted, and they picked berries. Both important, but for different uses. I hate it when women try to do everything men do. ANd then expect to be respected for it.

UFC does not need a mainstream womens division. The only women the UFC needs are the Octagon Girls. If you need some women fighting throw rachele in there and make her grapple the winner of the contest, in a thong. Then Im in.

Other than that, keep em away from our damn cage.

#14 ·
Esotera said:

I don't mean to have it as an all womans show, but the occational match or two at a PPV or UFN. Womans boxing is pretty entertaining (sometimes even more so than some of the mens fightes). I think it could work.

Pogo

#15 ·
Womens mma? horrible idea. mma is mainly viewed by young males and from what i know me and my friends don't wanna see a couple He-Shes fighting. I agree with spear soldier, the octagon girls are enough.

#18 ·
Tell me something: Does it take a great deal of physical strength to pull a trigger? How about to sign a check? Do you realize that a lot of the most difficult to find and capture terrorists and criminals are female? You know why? It's because some gung-ho macho man says, "She's to purty to do dat..." and they end up with a bullet in their skull. Keep in mind that the most valuable thing in this world is knowledge and information, and you can go a far way from leaving the cave you live in and exit the stone age to join modern life.

To be fair: On one side... My mind says, "Ugh..." as I don't view the issue in the same light. If there are skilled women out there that want to show there skills, so be it. I say let it happen. The only ones who won't view it as legitimate are those who can't get passed the issue of seeing women as being eye-candy only. Truthfully, as much as you may hate to admit it, that's a marketed mindset that the majority of the male populace has gobbled up to bursting as sheep for even looking at anything commercial. It's not your fault--to a point.

But, I am am realistic to say if it happens, keep it strictly within its own gender. None of this Male/Female bullshit. When there is a dude that has the simple mindset of "whoever signs the waiver is meat," introduced to that scenario, we'll end up with a legalized assault on our hands. I'd rather not see that happen, and (with how modern society is) it will happen.

Don't get me wrong. I like looking at women. Hell, I wouldn't have met my wife if I wasn't attracted to her. But they've existed on earth as long as us... If (the supposedly more "manly" side of the human race) guys can get worked up about taking *****es in their anuses and wearing dresses, why can't women have just as valid a point if they want to put on gloves and beat the hell out of another woman?

We all know they hate each other anyways... :D

#19 ·
Onganju said:
Tell me something: Does it take a great deal of physical strength to pull a trigger? How about to sign a check? Do you realize that a lot of the most difficult to find and capture terrorists and criminals are female? You know why? It's because some gung-ho macho man says, "She's to purty to do dat..." and they end up with a bullet in their skull. Keep in mind that the most valuable thing in this world is knowledge and information, and you can go a far way from leaving the cave you live in and exit the stone age to join modern life.

To be fair: On one side... My mind says, "Ugh..." as I don't view the issue in the same light. If there are skilled women out there that want to show there skills, so be it. I say let it happen. The only ones who won't view it as legitimate are those who can't get passed the issue of seeing women as being eye-candy only. Truthfully, as much as you may hate to admit it, that's a marketed mindset that the majority of the male populace has gobbled up to bursting as sheep for even looking at anything commercial. It's not your fault--to a point.

But, I am am realistic to say if it happens, keep it strictly within its own gender. None of this Male/Female bullshit. When there is a dude that has the simple mindset of "whoever signs the waiver is meat," introduced to that scenario, we'll end up with a legalized assault on our hands. I'd rather not see that happen, and (with how modern society is) it will happen.

Don't get me wrong. I like looking at women. Hell, I wouldn't have met my wife if I wasn't attracted to her. But they've existed on earth as long as us... If (the supposedly more "manly" side of the human race) guys can get worked up about taking *****es in their anuses and wearing dresses, why can't women have just as valid a point if they want to put on gloves and beat the hell out of another woman?

We all know they hate each other anyways... :D

Its because it isnt sexy. Plain and simple. Its ugly, and bloody. So what if I see them as objects that have to look pretty? Its what they do to themselves. Women who dont think that its their goal in life to look pretty, should not be encouraged to think that way. America is already ***** whiped. Why give them more incentive?

Like I said before. If they dont have activities in their life to keep them busy, my room is a mess, I am always hungry, so I will be more than glad to have them work for me. At least then I can dress them up in a maids costume or something.

#20 ·
spearsoldier said:
Its because it isnt sexy. Plain and simple. Its ugly, and bloody. So what if I see them as objects that have to look pretty? Its what they do to themselves. Women who dont think that its their goal in life to look pretty, should not be encouraged to think that way. America is already ***** whiped. Why give them more incentive?

Like I said before. If they dont have activities in their life to keep them busy, my room is a mess, I am always hungry, so I will be more than glad to have them work for me. At least then I can dress them up in a maids costume or something.
haha, i got laundry to do too

#21 · (Edited)
spearsoldier said:

Dude... If your room is a mess, clean it up. If you are hungry, learn how to skin and cook the food you hunted down. Sounds to me like you're a momma's boy, and that as a "macho man" you haven't learned how to do any of that your own damn self.

Regardless... My inebriated rantings aside... Wouldn't it be so much easier to see women who hate each other deal with it simply and make a buck off of it? I'd rather see that, then have to listen to it--wouldn't you?

Shit, if a dude took your best outfit and ruined it you'd kick their ass right? Wouln't you rather have a woman deal with it that way instead of conniving shit out and coming back to it years (maybe decades) later?

I know I would.

#22 ·
Onganju said:
Dude... If your room is a mess, clean it up. If you are hungry, learn how to skin and cook the food you hunted down. Sounds to me like your a momma's boy, and that as a "macho man" you haven't learned how to do it your damn self.

Regardless... My inebriated rantings aside... Wouldn't it be so much easier to see women who hate each other deal with it simply and make a buck off of it? I'd rather see that, then have to listen to it--wouldn't you?

Shit, if a dude took your best outfit and ruined it you'd kick their ass right? Wouln't you rather have a woman deal with that instead of conniving shit out and coming back to it years (maybe decades) later?

I know I would.
No.

I like the have a difference between men and women. There is a reason we are different.

They shouldnt do what we do, and we shouldnt do what they do.

I dont like guys who do girly shit either.

And as for cleaning my room and learning to cook. Well, I was trying to be funny. The other dude got it, but I guess your 21st century mindset didnt...

Seriously bro, why should we let women fight? Why? What benefit is there of letting two women get bloody and look ugly?

They suck at fighting anyways, its not even good entertainment.

#24 · (Edited)
spearsoldier said:
No.

I like the have a difference between men and women. There is a reason we are different.

They shouldnt do what we do, and we shouldnt do what they do.

I dont like guys who do girly shit either.

And as for cleaning my room and learning to cook. Well, I was trying to be funny. The other dude got it, but I guess your 21st century mindset didnt...

Seriously bro, why should we let women fight? Why? What benefit is there of letting two women get bloody and look ugly?

They suck at fighting anyways, its not even good entertainment.
Okay... The first part of your post, I will completely accept because I see it the same way (suprise... suprise...). And don't tell me that my "21st century mindset" hindered me from seeing anything. Hell, masturbation has been around since the dawn of MAN AND WOMAN and that first night of the silent treatment. I understand we've been dealing with things on our own for a long time now. I know you get the same point.

But I disagree on your very last sentence. On that end, let me post this question to you: Why do people always have to stare at a Train Wreck or Car Accident? It isn't going to be "pretty" or even sanely tasteful at all, yet there is some sort of visceral force drawing our attention to it. Allowing a female fight league can be paralleled in a lot of ways. Many may not want to consciously turn that way, but they will, and it will sell.

Going beyond that, there are actually many, many women who are pretty damn skilled at what they do. I don't know about you, but I don't watch boxing because I wanna bone down on any of the dudes in the ring. Rather (as the saying goes) I wanna see someone get KTFO! If a woman can do that, I'd feel much better paying my PPV dollar for that, than these championship "hugfests" or "lnp" sessions I get on a regular basis now.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

#25 ·
MMA freak said:
Onganju, your more usually more smarter than this. Women are preps, not fighters, fighting is for men, women do other hobbies and interests, whenever they have a period they ***** and there is blood a lot in MMA fights. Women in UFC is a bad idea.
Okay... This is the only time I will ever take this tone with you. Kid... I am still smarter than you can imagine. Regardless... DON'T EVER POST WHILE YOUR F'N DRUNK. That being said, drunk or not, I'm still going to present a point...

I'm just not going to be as nice.

This is the thing with your point from the 2nd sentence on. Women, are part of the human species. And, as animals, natural instinct will dictate that they be able to defend themselves or flee from a situation if their life is on the line (that's your "fight or flight" instinct that is touted in many psychology books). In fact, nature is very much agreeing that the females usually be larger and more capable to defend themselves as most males leave once the conception of offspring is finished. Evolution, or creation (take your pick) didn't dictate it that way with humanity.

Whether that is some sort of sick twisted humor or something else is a completely different subject--but I digress...

On that end, the human physiology doesn't facilitate that function for female humans on a physical level. Bone structure, tissue placement, cellular mass... It isn't in place to make such a role of physical confrontation as easy as it would for males. But it is still possible.

If I transfer that consideration into MMA as a sport (notice I said sport, not a kill or be killed situation), then Women's matches all occur on a level playing field. No sport is competitive if it is between sides that have gross advantages overall over the other, right? So, if it's between women, it should be okay?

Any other view beyond that is simply a product of commercial indoctrination and conditioning.

#26 ·
Onganju said:
Okay... The first part of your post, I will completely accept because I see it the same way (suprise... suprise...). And don't tell me that my "21st century mindset" hindered me from seeing anything. Hell, masturbation has been around since the dawn of MAN AND WOMAN and that first night of the silent treatment. I understand we've been dealing with things on our own for a long time now. I know you get the same point.

But I disagree on your very last sentence. On that end, let me post this question to you: Why do people always have to stare at a Train Wreck or Car Accident? It isn't going to be "pretty" or even sanely tasteful at all, yet there is some sort of visceral force drawing our attention to it. Allowing a female fight league can be paralleled in a lot of ways. Many may not want to consciously turn that way, but they will, and it will sell.

Going beyond that, there are actually many, many women who are pretty damn skilled at what they do. I don't know about you, but I don't watch boxing because I wanna bone down on any of the dudes in the ring. Rather (as the saying goes) I wanna see someone get KTFO! If a woman can do that, I'd feel much better paying my PPV dollar for that, than these championship "hugfests" or "lnp" sessions I get on a regular basis now.

Do you see where I'm coming from?
I do see where your coming from, but I dont understand why.

When I think of women, I think of sexy chicks that I wanna bang, or like family members.

I dont wanna see a sexy chick get KTFO, nor do I wish to see my sister or mother or cousin get KTFO. When it comes to women, I dont like em hurt. I dont think they posess the skills to make fighting as interesting as men do, and I think that the fights would cause more damage to mma than help it as they would get injured quickly. This is because a women, when trained, will cuase more damage to another women, than a man would to another man. They just cant take as many hits. The violence would leave mens mma open for attack after politicians rip the female mma out of the galaxy.

Men are different. I dont wanna bone no guy in mma, but its more acceptable to watch men KTFO of each other because thats just how men are supposed to be in society. Its cool for a macho man to get bloodied as he wins. He is supposed to be strong for others around him. Women dont share this same hero role.

I guess we just have different principals. I see what your saying, and hopefully you see mine.

In the end, we both dont influence it that greatly anyway:D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.