A 6 fight deal, that does not affect the Shark Fight in September:
LinkJust hours ago, Paul Daley signed a six-fight Strikeforce contract. He will still fight at Shark Fights 13 which will go down September 11th at the Civic Center Coliseum in Amarillo, Texas (sort of a strange date to have an MMA event). His first opponent will be Evangelista Cyborg which denotes that he will still be competing at welterweight.
Paul Daley seems extraordinarily happy with the financial package that he received from Strikeforce. Not sure when Daley will debut in the organization but according to UnitedGlory.nl, he will also be competing in a welterweight tournament (along with Shinya Aoki) which will kick off October 16th and wrap-up April 2011. Of course, all of this really means that we may see some of the greatest smack-talk in the history of MMA if Paul Daley vs. Nick Diaz goes down.
MMA Weekly confirms:
The news was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the situation on Sunday, and first reported by MiddleEasy.com.
Daley's camp was unavailable for comment, but sources have indicated that the British bomber will still participate in the upcoming Shark Fights card in September that he was previously announced for, although an opponent has not been named yet.
There has been no word on when Daley would make his Strikeforce debut, but the they are currently putting together a proposed card for October that may see the Brit in his promotional debut for the organization.
Signing Daley is a no brainer for Strikeforce given their talent starved welterweight division. Daley vs Mr. Cyborg could be some real fireworks and Daley vs Nick Diaz would be epic.
UPDATE [from Luke Thomas]: USA TODAY's Sergio Non talked to Strikeforce directly and says not so fast:
Just got off phone with Strikeforce's Afromowitz, who says Daley isn't signed yet, though the company expects it Monday or Tuesday.