Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, another Chuck Liddell thread.. Surprising to nobody, apparently Liddell thinks that he might not be done with the Octagon yet, even after getting crushed by Franklin.

Chuck Liddell not done yet

Chuck Liddell has indicated he may continue his UFC career despite suffering a third defeat on the spin to Rich Franklin earlier in the month.

The Iceman's first-round knockout prompted UFC president Dana White to state "he gave the fans a last, good fight" - indicating retirement was on the cards.

At 40, there is little doubt Liddell's best days are behind him but he feels he may still have something to offer in the Octagon.

"I'm still working on evaluating," Liddell told Yahoo! Sports. "I thought I did great before I was caught. I have to look at it some more and think about it. I think I looked good and I definitely was in great shape. I could have kept that pace up for another four rounds, without a doubt.

"There's a lot still to think about. I felt pretty good and I think showed I can compete. I'm not going to rush and I'll do what I think is best. I'm just not at a point to make that decision yet."
I'm pretty sure this is surprising to nobody, but Liddell's hesitancy to call it quits is literally baffling. His entire reputation is being dragged through the mud essentially by continuing to get one-punch-KO'd / dominated in a similar fashion by fighters he likely would have dominated himself in his prime. Sad, really. With Dana White guaranteeing it was Liddell's last fight in the UFC (for the second time), I predict a nasty battle looming between Dana and Chuck if he decides he wants another go.

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/29882.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
This isn't baffling to me. Liddell is a fighter. It is all he knows how to do(other then party). That is why he wants to keep going.

If there is someway he could strengthen his chin again I would welcome him back in a heartbeat, he did look good till he got caught.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
At first like everyone else right after the fight I thought it was time. After thinking about it...no way...a great fighter can not end on that type of note. He's gotta fight Tito or Randy and win then retire.

He needs new trainers. He looked very good out there, a revamped Chuck if you will. He still has power in his hands, good length, much weaker chin, but if he plays smart he'll do ok. Sadly he only has himself to blame for being koed by Rich. That was like going for the slam dunk and knocking yourself out by accidently hitting your head on the backboard or rim.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
He needs to focus on keeping his hands up. Not getting too aggressive and possibly becoming a wrestler. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Chuck Liddell was knocked out by a one-armed middle-weight with little knock out power...

In all seriousness, that punch wouldnt have even made him blink three years ago. That is not a good sign. He is rich, famous and has nothing to prove. It is time to hang them up. I get he has the fighter mentality, but he also has kids and people who care about him. It really is time for him to start thinking about his health.

·
Registered
963 Posts
the tito fight is the only option i could really see for him, id like to watch but at the same time i don wanna see him get knocked out like that again

·
Invictus Maneo
983 Posts
Liddell needs to quit before he turns into a Ken Shamrock who should've stopped fighting years ago. Maybe dana gives him a can so he can go out on a high note, but seriously the dude needs to stop...

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
It's sad to even hear Chuck saying he can still compete, after getting knocked out cold by someone who would probably get destroyed by the upper tier of the LHW division.

I cringe so much when I read his words about looking good until he got 'caught'. Reality is unless you're Anderson Silva or GSP, you get hit in every fight, and Chuck can't take a punch anymore.

Such a sorry state of affairs. I hope Dana talks some sense into him.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I kinda agree that Chuck looked pretty good in his last fight. But if Chuck has no chin... he has no chin. You can have a guy fighting at the top level that just falls over everytime somebody touches his chin.

Maybe he should go fight at Strikeforce or something.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Maybe he should go fight at Strikeforce or something.
He'll get KOd by the good LHWs there too, just because he tagged Franklin a few times doesn't mean he's going to start KO'ing the likes of Mousasi and King Mo. These guys would wreck Chuck.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Liddell needs to quit before he turns into a Ken Shamrock who should've stopped fighting years ago. Maybe dana gives him a can so he can go out on a high note, but seriously the dude needs to stop...
'Dana White he doens't need to fight. He's made a lot of money. I'd pay him more money to come in and be the Director of Fun or some $hit."

Chuck VS Lil Nog is a good match up.

I'd rather see Bones VS Lil Nog and take him apart. I hate when a guy like get's a technical win, on top of that the caliber at which Lil Nog was fighting and getting paid 6 figures for the fight.

But back on Chuck, in all reality --- If Chuck wants to fight in the UFC, i'd like it to be Chuck VS another legend with a retirement clause or something, one that's equally or more washed up. i.e. Chuck VS Mark Coleman.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
The only way I see him fighting again in the UFC, is to give him the perfect Can to end his career on a good note.....Tito Ortiz.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, Dana said he was done, so he's obviously done. :sarcastic12:
Except he said that after the Rua fight, and lo and behold Liddell fought again. Dana's not really known for being the most truthful guy

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Except he said that after the Rua fight, and lo and behold Liddell fought again. Dana's not really known for being the most truthful guy
It wasn't exactly a straightforward lie, he didn't want Chuck to fight ever again but Chuck was relentless and got his own way.

It's ridiculous that Chuck thinks he can compete, he needs a reality check and anyone who wants to watch him fight does too, because you're watching a worn and brain injured fighter wreck his health.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Either he fights Tito and if he losses he retires or he starts fighting level B fighters in order to win some fights and not make fool out of himself. Other than that it has no point imo.
I don't see him pulling a win against a TOP 10 fighter ever again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts