Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not gonna spell out the who, what, where, when, and why about my life or start into MMA but I will say I'm pretty new. But the biggest problem I'm having is my left handed punch..

I feel like me left arm is a q-tip and it is so awkward to punch with it. I feel like I have no control with it and when I hit it feels like its doing less than mild damage.

I keep practicing my punches with it but no matter how many times I punch I can't make it feel normal. Is there anything I can do? Do I just need to keep practicing or any other drills I could try?

Any help would be apprectiated..

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Your jab is not used to knock someone out. It is to knock someone off balance or set up other punches. Your arms strength does not matter, just practice and the punch will become less awkward to throw. That is the only solution, throw tons of left handed punches and it will develop, technique is honed over time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Punching is VERY technical. It all starts at the feet and your stance. Power comes from hip/core rotation and the associated weight shifting, not arm strength (although that does help a little). If you don't have a coach, you will need one to get better. Video's and books are a supplement to a coach and training, IMO.

If you're right handed, about 75% of your strikes will be left jabs.

Stick with it and be patient. Again, get an experienced coach if you don't have one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Basically when you are new to it naturally your off hand (I assume you are not Left handed) is going to be difficult to pick up on
Do you have a heavybag to train with at home?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.