Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping as long as my shoulder continues to heal up properly to make my debut on the 21st in the cage.

I have ZERO MMA training but was a solid wrestler and have been in many fights in my younger years, (before i turned 41).

The promoter said he's not going to toss me in the cage with someone that will tear me apart within seconds. I have quick hands and a solid sprawl and take down defense and know a lot of submissions and practice them during my workouts. At this time I only have 1 other person coming with me to be in my corner to keep me level. I know it's going to be a tough fight no matter what. I've been working on cardio a lot over the last couple months so I don't get gassed quick. I'm NOT afraid of tapping if I feel like my shoulder is going to get hurt even worse. I have full range on motion in it now but it's my right shoulder and I fight right handed.

Any advice will help. I'm hitting the gym daily for a couple hours doing cardio, legs to get them in better shape. I sure as hell am not as flexible as I was when I was younger so head kicks are out of the question. Rib kicks shouldn't be a problem, just trying to learn more about the rules about not throwing elbows and anything else I might have to learn.

Thanks
:praise01::praise01:

·
Registered
314 Posts
No disrespect intended and definate props for wanting to compete. IMO you're not ready. This isn't a wrestling competition. Based on your background you will need about 6 months of MMA training. I'm a little older than you with a wrestling background and 2 years of MMA training so I have some idea where you're coming from.

Some questions to ask yourself. Have you been kicked in the leg REALLY hard? Do you know how to properly block a head kick? Can you slip and roll without thinking about it? You need to be able to deal with this and alot of other things by instinct. On the plus side, your cardio workouts will carry you along way.

Again, its great that you want to compete. Just give yourself about 6 months in a GOOD MMA gym that trains fighters and competes in the ammy shows.

Good luck in your endeavors

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
A wrestling background is definitely a good thing but going in to a fight with no MMA training isn't a smart thing to do. Even though your a wrestler and might feel comfortable on the ground, BJJ is still a different ball game. You have a right attitude but i'd give myself some time to evolve.

Good luck to you anyway.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a MMA gym that's even within 2hr's of me to train at. I do train with one of my son's friends brothers who competes in MMA. As far as being kicked in the leg hard, does a metal baseball bat count? One of the first things I learned was how to block a head kick and working on the ground off my back and also while in guard.

I've had a LOT of kicks and punches thrown at me and so far everything looks good from what I've been told. The way I see it is if I lose my TKO, I'll have learned something that I didn't before and just going in the cage will be a learning experiance for me. I don't know if I'll be allowed to watch any fights previous to mine but if I am, I'll be watching like a eagle.

I'm a quick learner and I know it's not a wrestling compition, I get that and understand it. I also know it's not a bar room brawl, I'm a brawler by all standards and spar with some friends that are in special forces when they are on leave and we hold nothing back when it comes to punches and kicks.

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't have a MMA gym that's even within 2hr's of me to train at. I do train with one of my son's friends brothers who competes in MMA. As far as being kicked in the leg hard, does a metal baseball bat count? One of the first things I learned was how to block a head kick and working on the ground off my back and also while in guard.

I've had a LOT of kicks and punches thrown at me and so far everything looks good from what I've been told. The way I see it is if I lose my TKO, I'll have learned something that I didn't before and just going in the cage will be a learning experiance for me. I don't know if I'll be allowed to watch any fights previous to mine but if I am, I'll be watching like a eagle.

I'm a quick learner and I know it's not a wrestling compition, I get that and understand it. I also know it's not a bar room brawl, I'm a brawler by all standards and spar with some friends that are in special forces when they are on leave and we hold nothing back when it comes to punches and kicks.

Thanks
Sounds like you're going to have a blast!! Let us know how it goes and post a vid of your fight if you like.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I'm able to get a buddy to video it then I will post it. Some of my friends think I'm 3 sides of crazy for wanting to do this but I've always been competitive my entire life and at 41, I don't want to give in to just saying what if? I have a solid chin that's been tested many times in bar fights over the years, I study training video's as often as possible while at work, (since i'm in charge of the IT department, I do what I want all day most of the time) but my work hr's are long and I only get to train after 10pm at night and between 4-6am in the morning. I'm getting over a rotary cuff injury from landing on a sidewalk when diving for a ball while playing vollyball at a friends house over a month ago, and the trainer at the gym told me last night I have full range of motion and gave me some more excercises to work on as far as throwing harder punches. I'm taking some classes with the trainer with the kettle bells (sp?) starting next Wed night to help with toning and conditioning.

I appreciate everyone's words, It's VERY hard for someone who's played competitive sports all his live to just stop and sit. That's just not me. I've come back from 3 broken backs, 2 broken necks, 6 knee surgery's before I was 16, more broken bones then I can remember because when I graduated, I wasn't even 150lbs at 6'1, torn bicep that happened at the gym 6 months ago and donated a kidney to my mom back to 2000. I'm now 6'1 and 204, I'm just trying to get as much positive energy surrounding me as I can, my wife's going to be in florida for the week I'll be fighting and she can't see why men would want to do this. Of course she hates all sports but that's not why I married her. I'm not letting my 2 kids come to the fight as they are going to stay with my buddy who's coming up for support.

To say I'm bullheaded is an understatment as everyone that knows me personally puts it. But I'm not letting my pride get the best of me, I'm not one of those guys that watches UFC, Pride, etc on TV and think I can do it. I just want to know where I stand. Chances of me getting my a$$ handed to me are better then 75% and I know that, but if I can make an impression, then maybe the guys that live out by me that fight for XCC will help get me to that next level that I want to be at. I'm not doing this to turn pro and I know a lot of the guys that fight are and have way more experiance then me.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to bring with me still besides my gear. I've been told they will provide me with 2 corner men but if I get cut, do they handle it or am I supposed to have that with me when I arrive? Like I said, I'm new and I didn't get the nickname "the viper" years ago for nothing, it was given to me by some friends when they say me in a fight after someone tried to mug us after a movie.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
I wish you nothing but luck bud! Sounds like you enjoy fighting, so just go out there and have fun. Put everything into the fight, don't come out of there thinking 'I could of done more...'

Can't wait to hear how it goes and hopefully watch a video of it! Again, good luck pal!

Reactions: audit

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
If you want to fight, go for it! I wish you the best of luck and hope you can pull it off!

edit: I forgot to ask, how is your cardio? I know a few guys that thought they were fit until they stepped up from sparring to fighting, and then they really struggled.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Well a couple things could happen.....you go in and knock the other guy out or get knocked out....tap the guy out or get tapped out....OR grind 3 rounds out....lets hope its not that because 3 full rounds is hell for a first fight lol.....Just go in and have fun bro.....Dont think about a game plan to much and impose your will. You will def know if you want to do it again shortly after that cage door closes..... Good Luck man and keep us up dated!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want to fight, go for it! I wish you the best of luck and hope you can pull it off!

edit: I forgot to ask, how is your cardio? I know a few guys that thought they were fit until they stepped up from sparring to fighting, and then they really struggled.
Cardio's hard to judge for me right now, I was a smoker for 20+ years and yet still had good stamina. I have COPD and will bring my inhaler with me before the fight, I haven't needed it in the gym so far while working on cardio. I do my cardio on the Elliptical machine every day, I know that I'll struggle with the cardio some but hopefully the adrenaline of fighting will pull me through it.

I'll be matched up against a 0-0 or 0-1 guy from what the promoter told me. It's going to be a war I know. Just have to wait and see what happens. I'm nervous and jumpy about this and it's all I think about 24/7.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Spend the last week or so focusing on intensive cardio and other workouts that dont cause strains, sprains, and bruises. Make sure everything is as "healed" as much as possible before your fight.

You might be doing this already. For a quick pre/post workout with an eliptical, here is one I do alot that pays huge dividends.

Jack up the resistance to 8-12. 2 min. "walk", followed by a 30 sec. sprint, repeat for a total of 20 min.

Find a steep hill, about a block long.
- Run/sprint halfway up and jog back. do this twice
- Run/ sprint to the top and jog back
This is 1 rep. Do 10 reps

These workouts help build some explosiveness (which I need alot of!!) and really work cardiio.

Good luck on the fight. I don't fight but everyone I spar/workout with who does tells me that cardio is king.

I think your going to do well. Your head is in the right place, and you seem to be doing the right stuff.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I'll put that in my workout starting tonight. I have the HS football stadium down the road from me and I'll start running the stairs this weekend. I know there's some fighters in the small town I'm in but I don't know how to contact them, I believe that they will be at the fight on the 21st and hopefully I can meet them there and get pushed in the right direction. I've been hearing stories how politics run's rapid in XXCLive but I don't judge. I just want to fight and train.

I hope my head is still in the right spot after the fight. ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are you thinking of cutting weight?

Play with this. 5 smaller meals/day, every 2-3 hrs. You should be hungry, not starving. Nothing but water after 6-7PM. What this does is it keeps your digestive system constantly working. This increases your metabolism which I've found after 40 becomes pretty important.

Eliminating and/or seriously reducing red meat also helps since it stays in your system for a long time. Lots of fruit, veggies, and easily digestible foods. Basically the less processing required to make a food item the better.

Something to think about.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't eat much right now, sometime's I go 2-3 days with just the protein bar's and water during the day and at night I'll have a sandwitch and some water or a glass of pop. My wife's a nurse and also a major health nut so she's making sure that my diet is good. I've dropped from 230lb to 205lb in a couple months and that was just from cutting back on drinking beer after work. I got tired of my kids asking me when I was going to deliver the baby and my wife was always joking with me about how her stomach didn't get that big when she was pregnant. I rarely have red meat because it's too hard for my wife to cook for me and the kids and make her meals also. It's just easier if she and I can share the same meals and then all she has to do is worry about making what the kids want.

I know after 40 that my body doesn't recover like it did when I was in my 20's. I feel that everyday when I get out of bed:confused:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts