Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alan "The Talent" Belcher (16-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC) is both lucky and unlucky to be a UFC middleweight on a win streak.

He's lucky, of course, because he's risen to the top of the promotion's 185-pound division. (Hard work helped, too.) But he's unlucky because there aren't many fighters who share his streak, and as a result, he has to wait a little longer than most to stay active.

Belcher recently expressed frustration with his predicament, but he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he has plans for moving his career forward.

"Right now we're pushing for Demian Maia because I think [the UFC] has plans for everyone else," Belcher today said on the radio show. "I think that's an interesting fight. That will help me solidify the No. 1 contender spot.

"I think the timing would be right for me to fight (Vitor) Belfort after that."

Maia (12-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) hasn't fought since he fell short in a title loss to middleweight champion Anderson Silva in April.

Belfort, meanwhile, (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) is earmarked by UFC president Dana White as the next contender for Silva, provided the champ can get past No. 1 contender Chael Sonnen at UFC 117 in August.

Fabiano Farah, Belfort's manager, recently told MMAjunkie.com that the former UFC light-heavyweight champion will be ready to vie for the title in November. That leaves time for Belcher to carve out a spot as the next contender.

"I'm just going to wait for the time to be right to keep winning the fights that I get right now," Belcher said. "Hopefully, they're big fights. I'm satisfied with what the UFC's given me right now."

Belcher, 26, is coming off a second-round submission victory over former middleweight contender Patrick Cote at UFC 113 earlier this month. It was his second consecutive victory after a TKO of Wilson Gouveia at UFC 107, and it was his fourth straight octagon appearance in which he won a performance bonus (two for "Submission of the Night" and two for "Fight of the Night"). The only loss in Belcher's past five fights is a closely contested split decision to Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100.

The Jonesboro, Ark. native said his frustration with the UFC's matchmaking process is rooted in impatience. The best way to keep his upward trajectory is to keep winning fights.

"In the past, I was unsatisfied with the way the UFC was pushing me," Belcher said. "But it's just me having big expectations and wanting to get out there. At this point, I think I've proven myself, and I'm starting to get the respect that I deserve.

"In the (Sherdog.com) interview I did about [my frustration] ... I was basically saying the same thing – that Belfort was going to get the title shot because it was something to do with his contract or something that they had promised him. It wasn't like I disagreed with it; I just thought it was something that was already planned out.

"The UFC has to give me big fights now. I deserve them."

Belcher said he's spoken to a UFC official recently and expects to get a fight soon, though he doesn't have a concrete timetable for his return.

"It doesn't really matter to me as long as I get a few weeks to get mentally prepared for whoever I fight," he said. "I'm ready whenever."
MMAJUNKIE

i like his chances here . i think he can avoid maia TD via being frickin HW coming fight night .

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Demian would have to be real careful in the clinch while he's trying to take the fight to where he's got the advantage in that one. I wish we could see Belcher against Akiyama again, that fight was so close, if he were to get past Wand.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Am a fan of Belcher, but Maia would just absolutely tool him on the ground, and he is not even that hard to get to there either. Props to him for wanting that fight though and Maia is probably the worst match up for him in the division.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I like Alan Belchers ambition.

Reactions: HitOrGetHit

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Belcher has the tools to win this fight, but Maia is the most dangerous guy there is to face if it goes on the ground. I'll have to go back and rewatch a lot of Belcher before I'd be ready to make a call, but I'm a big The Talent fan and I hope he gets this fight! :thumbsup:

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I'd really like to see Belcher fight Belfort...

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I'd like to see Belfort fight any contender rather than just getting a straight title shot after a 15 month lay-off following a win at a 195lb catchweight fight and 2 inconsequential wins at Affliction
I agree...

I've been saying for some time that I think Vitor is overated.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I'd rather see Belcher vs Wandy or Belfort
Belcher VS Wandy would be fun.....

But I think Belchers brawling style would fall right into Wandys trap and the Axe Murder would bring another head home in a bag...

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Demian would have to be real careful in the clinch while he's trying to take the fight to where he's got the advantage in that one. I wish we could see Belcher against Akiyama again, that fight was so close, if he were to get past Wand.
No, it wasn't close Belcher got his ass handed to him. Why would Akiyama ever accept that fight if he beat Wand as he would deserve a title shot more than anyone else in the division including Vitor at that point. People seem to forget Akiyama is essentially undefeated his only loss is to Jerome Le Banner one of the greatest heavyweight kickboxers ever in a freakshow fight he never should have taken.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
No, it wasn't close Belcher got his ass handed to him. Why would Akiyama ever accept that fight if he beat Wand as he would deserve a title shot more than anyone else in the division including Vitor at that point. People seem to forget Akiyama is essentially undefeated his only loss is to Jerome Le Banner one of the greatest heavyweight kickboxers ever in a freakshow fight he never should have taken.
I disagree that fight was tough on Belcher and Akiyama.....

Belcher, Kang and Manhoef are his notable wins and he was far from handing Belcher his ass..

I'd love to see a rematch.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
As I said if Belcher wins any of the two combinations he's in contention!

1.) Demian Maia
2.) Vitor Belfort
3.) Bisping
4.) Wand
5.) Chael Sonnen
6.) Nate Marquardt

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I think this would be an easy win for Maia. Belcher's reckless on the feet at times which would get him taken down before he can even think "sprawl". Maia is one of the few legit BJJ practitioners with good wrestling. I don't think Belcher has anything to scare Maia on his feet either and Maia owns the ground/clinch game. Most fights go to the ground at some point and Maia is deadly even from full guard.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
Very interesting fight ... I'm skeptical of whether Belcher can avoid the takedown for the whole fight, but he can definitely tool Maia if he does. If it hits the ground though, he's toast.

I'm supporting Belcher in this fight if it happens, always liked his style and barring the Akiyama robbery he's on a solid streak.

Title shot? Yeah he's only lost to Le Banner (and IMO Belcher too) .. but who has he beaten? Subbed a one dimensional kickboxer called Manhoef and beat Kang, a guy that Belcher tooled just as bad as he did and is 1-2 in the UFC. And then a bunch of japan's finest cans.

So beating an over the hill Wanderlei with 5 losses in his last 7 fights should get him a title shot next? Last I heard you needed to beat a top 10er convincingly to get a title shot. If "not losing" was a criteria, then 20-0 Jason Reinhardt should have gotten a title shot on his UFC debut.

Vitor is getting the shot because he knocked out the former MW champ and top 5 MW Franklin in Rd 1, and another top 10 MW in Lindland, in addition to being a former champ himself. Chael is getting it for beating a top 5 MW in Marquardt and a top 10 in Okami. Which top 10 has Akiyama beaten convincingly?

It's a moot point though, Wanderlei will destroy Akiyama like he's destroyed every overhyped japanese fighter.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Seems like the obvious choice!
Two top fighters going against eachother.
Belecher is riding on a wave of momentum, has had some great fights recently and of course he is trying to rise even higher in the MW division and a win against Maia, who just fought for the title, will put him very close to a title fight.
But i can see this going almost the same as Maia-Sonnen.
Maia can avoid the clinch and take it to the ground and then...it's over.

·
Registered
742 Posts
This is a good fight and I hope they put this together. Belcher has a clear advantage in the standup and Maia with a clear advantage on the ground. Every fight starts on the feet and I'm not 100% sold on Maia's abilities to get the fight to the ground, I'm taking Blecher here I think he will beat Maia up. Maia's still too one dimensional imo and when that one dimension is BJJ it really hurts that fighter in this day and age, if I was Maia I would be working on wrestling 24/7 with some top notch American wrestlers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts