Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished watching the Faber and Aldo fight and all I got to say is "wow". I knew that Also was/is a special type of fighter but his performance really amazed me. I honestly believe the reason he did not finish Faber was because he wanted to show mercy. He just added me as a huge fan. Total domination.

With that being said, how do you guys think Penn vs Aldo fight would match up? Before this fight, I would have shown my complete bias for Penn. However, I think Aldo would have a higher chance then I previously would have expected. I know Penn is coming off of a loss but I believe his last performance was not a reflection of his abilities. So thoughts?

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Lets not let the whole BJ loss to Edgar and Aldo's performance tonight trick you. Faber has trained with Penn and there are video's of them sparing where BJ absolutely manhandles Faber like he is a small child.

Reactions: GracieKiller

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
If Aldo puts the weight on properly he could be a force at LW.

His striking is some of the best in MMA and he is a black belt in BJJ, which he has used little of as of yet.

I think he could be the next great fighter at LW.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that BJ's boxing is one of, if not the best in MMA. However,how many fighters has bj faced, which the type of versatility and kicks like Aldo? His ability to mix it up is just sick. I'm still leaning towards BJ pulling it out but it would not surprise me if Aldo made it super competitive. And this is hard for me to type because I am a HUGE BJ Penn fan.

Lets not let the whole BJ loss to Edgar and Aldo's performance tonight trick you. Faber has trained with Penn and there are video's of them sparing where BJ absolutely manhandles Faber like he is a small child.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts

Keep in mind BJ JUST loss to a natural 145lb'er who is leagues less talented and less suited to defeat Penn.

The Aldo that showed up tonight would win 50-45 against the Penn that showed up for Frankie, period. The Penn that showed up for Diego... could be a war. But Penn isn't outstriking Aldo and he sure as hell isn't submitting him. Keep in mind he outwrestled Mike Brown.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Keep in mind BJ JUST loss to a natural 145lb'er who is leagues less talented and less suited to defeat Penn.

The Aldo that showed up tonight would win 50-45 against the Penn that showed up for Frankie, period. The Penn that showed up for Diego... could be a war. But Penn isn't outstriking Aldo and he sure as hell isn't submitting him. Keep in mind he outwrestled Mike Brown.
You think BJ wouldn't be prepared for those kicks (especially after having watched this)? And yeah BJ could probably submit Aldo. BJ was a world champion black belt who is more credentialed than Aldo is very accomplished but not at the black belt level. Penn would outstrike Aldo and out grapple him, Aldo is young give him time I actually think Aldo is like a young BJ Penn, you can tell he is a prodigy but he isn't on Penn's level, yet...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd favor Aldo at this particular time. Bare in mind this fight would likely be very tactical with little fireworks and I see Aldo winning a clear decision.

Jose Aldo in his first fights showed phenomenal foot and hand speed and good power as well. His fight with Mike Brown was even more impressive as it showed his more than adequate strengh and takedown defense. Tonight however, I saw what I believe seperates Aldo from the rest, his incredibly calculated gameplans and cool temperament, something BJ has always lacked. Aldo used a brilliant, textbook Muay Thai chop down strategy against an opponent who was raving about his own footspeed and quickness. An expert display of gameplanning. Not only that, but he barely got hit, completely controlling range, stopping every takedown attempt before it even started(as opposed to BJ allowing himself to be pressed against the cage repeatedly) and picking him apart. His top control has shown to be good, and he's got great BJJ postioning. Not that Aldo's gameplan would include fighting BJ on the ground.

BJ in his current form is like a Rashad Evans who's fallen in love with his boxing. He's a ground whiz, and has shown to easily dispatch people if he bothers to get them down. In his last several fights, however, he's played the role of a flat footed counterstriker. His speed and elusiveness allowed this strategy to work against many fighters, as well as his technical proficiency, however Edgar proved to be a bit too fast than BJ was used to and used movement to essentially outbox BJ.

In terms of the fight, I believe BJ would assume the role of the counterboxer with Aldo using a similar gameplan of the chop down strategy. BJ relies heavily on his powerful and dextrous legs, however his stance and style allow success for the leg kicks as seen in the Sherk fight. Unfortunately for him, Aldo is a much more technical, and more powerful striker and will have much more effect than Sherk. Not only that, but BJ has to worry about being blitzed by unprecedented hand speed.

I think Aldo takes a decision as the leg kicks take their toll, and Aldo is able to outwork Penn for the nod.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
BJ looked out of shape and showed virtually no foot work and was obviously out of shape against Edgar and still out pointed him. Aldo managed to stop the takedown attempts because he chopped the leg out and despite what Mike Goldberg says Faber's wrestling is not that good, he is nowhere near a Sean Sherk or Matt Hughes. BJ is a more technical striker by miles than anybody Aldo has faced, he hits harder has a better chin, hell BJ is miles ahead of anybody Aldo has fought in every single aspect. The BJ that fought KenFlo or Diego would maul Aldo. Faber struggled to find his range tonight but BJ has great accuracy and has never had a problem finding his range, he doesn't even feel his opponents out he is just that good.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Doubtful. BJ Penn hasn't fought a striker on Aldo's level. And while Aldo has not fought anyone of the talent of BJ, he certainly hasn't managed to be outstruck by a smaller wrestler.

BJ's stance and style have shown in the Sherk and Edgar fihts to be susceptible to leg kicks and this coming from wrestlers. BJ looked great against Diego and Florian because they are tailored made for him, Kenny came in with a horrible gameplan and basically tried to take BJ down for 4 rounds without chopping legs or doing anything. BJ did almost no damage to Kenny in that fight, and only managed to outpoint him before subbing him. Kenny was overmatched. Diego is a wannabe striker who tried to attack like a beserker and failed miserably.

Aldo is not any of these guys. Those guys have neither the skills nor the temperment of true strikers. Not only that, I'd say even BJ doesn't have the tempermet of a striker, alhough he is gifted.

Aldo has the perfect style to outpoint BJ's relatively stationary counterboxing style, and BJ just doesn't have the gameplanning or the mental game down to beat an improving superstar like Aldo.

Also, BJ is not a better wrestler than Mike Brown.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Lol Toxic, you need to sit this one out as you're clearly clouded miserably with BJ Penn bias.

Aldo trains with team blackhouse and just walked through Cub, Brown, and Faber FFS. BJ just got humiliated by GSP and UD'd by Frankie Edgar. Personally I think Faber would beat Edgar 8/10.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Lol Toxic, you need to sit this one out as you're clearly clouded miserably with BJ Penn bias.

Aldo trains with team blackhouse and just walked through Cub, Brown, and Faber FFS. BJ just got humiliated by GSP and UD'd by Frankie Edgar. Personally I think Faber would beat Edgar 8/10.
What's your source on him training with BH? I believe you but I didn't know that. Honestly, it would explain his advanced temperment that the true elites like Machida and Silva show. The fight really highlighted he cerebral aspect of his game that was undoubtedly helped to develop by those striking genius at Blackhouse .

·
Registered
603 Posts
IMO, Penn had a bad performance against Frankie, and Frankie had his best ever and got the win, which I felt should have "just" gone BJ's way.
All of a sudden BJ's stock has fallen, I think his next fight will be a totally different story, but lets see.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
What's your source on him training with BH? I believe you but I didn't know that. Honestly, it would explain his advanced temperment that the true elites like Machida and Silva show. The fight really highlighted he cerebral aspect of his game that was undoubtedly helped to develop by those striking genius at Blackhouse .

http://www.blackhousemma.com/fighters

Down near the bottom next to JDS and Lyoto. :thumbsup:

Aldo has been with blackhouse for sometime now and Ed Soares appeared a few times on the PPV hype show.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Lol, it's always so amusing the amount of hype that shows up after someone wins.
Why is it hype? Aldo was fighter of the year in many peoples eyes, is a top 5 p4p fighter, and has dominated the two best 145ers in the world. BJ has looked mediocre and has shown holes at various points in his career, culminating in an embarrasing loss against Edgar.

I don't see how it is hype, especially considering Aldo's track record. If anything, BJ's flatfooted counterboxing is overhyped. Outside of the non-talented(in striking), weight drained Diego Sanchez, BJ doesn't go out and blitz guys and make you think that he's a super dangerous striker. He's more methodical and less convincing than Aldo.

·
Administrator
15,545 Posts
Why is it hype? Aldo was fighter of the year in many peoples eyes, is a top 5 p4p fighter, and has dominated the two best 145ers in the world. BJ has looked mediocre and has shown holes at various points in his career, culminating in an embarrasing loss against Edgar.

I don't see how it is hype, especially considering Aldo's track record. If anything, BJ's flatfooted counterboxing is overhyped. Outside of the non-talented(in striking), weight drained Diego Sanchez, BJ doesn't go out and blitz guys and make you think that he's a super dangerous striker. He's more methodical and less convincing than Aldo.
It's hype because Aldo is a weight class below, his ground game isn't nearly as impressive as Penn, he won't be able to rock Penn at all, Penn's boxing is actaully very good, did you watch his fight against Florian and Sanchez? His boxing was very crisp and he was very accurate. Penn had a bad night against Frankie, it happens. The majority of people agree that Penn looked off that night.

Aldo beating Penn is just hype, he just got off a solid win.

He beat Cub (woo hoo), Brown (who Manny just destoryed, MANNY), and then Faber, who's best win is.. Cruz, a guy a weight class below him, and went 5 rounds with Pulver.

Aldo's record really isn't that amazing, and the hype machine is at full force.

He could very well turn out to be one of the best, but right now it's all hype, especially when you're talking about him fighting arguably the greatest LW (a weight class above him) of all time.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's hype because Aldo is a weight class below, his ground game isn't nearly as impressive as Penn, he won't be able to rock Penn at all, Penn's boxing is actaully very good, did you watch his fight against Florian and Sanchez? His boxing was very crisp and he was very accurate. Penn had a bad night against Frankie, it happens. The majority of people agree that Penn looked off that night.

Aldo beating Penn is just hype, he just got off a solid win.

He beat Cub (woo hoo), Brown (who Manny just destoryed, MANNY), and then Faber, who's best win is.. Cruz, a guy a weight class below him, and went 5 rounds with Pulver.

Aldo's record really isn't that amazing, and the hype machine is at full force.
He could very well turn out to be one of the best, but right now it's all hype, especially when you're talking about him fighting arguably the greatest LW (a weight class above him) of all time.
Ah, the old downplaying wins strategy. That's petty and easy to do. Ooh look at Penn he beat Florian who's best win is a washed up Gomi, or oooh he beat a weight drained Diego who barely got by Clay Guida. Sherk? lol when's the last time he's won a fight?

Of course that's a poor argument but so was your downplaying of Aldo.

Also, the fact that BJ just has "an off night" at multiple stages of his career shows me that he's not at all as good as he is often touted. As for the Florian and Diego fights, the Florian fight didn't show great boxing at all, in fact he barely landed anything on Kenny. That fight was basically st a standstill until the takedown. As for Diego, well he's just a bad, reckless striker. That is not even debateable.

As for the weight, great fighters can easily move up in weight. Anderson, Hendo and Franklin have all done it despite the next weight class being 20lbs up as opposed to a measly 10, and despite all of his excuses, Penn has been successful at 170, as well as Sherk and Serra. Penn also to a fighter who's been called a natural featherweight, so it's not even a consideration that Aldo can't beat him because of a measly 10lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I have to say, in a gereral response to most of the comments above. I don't beleive Aldo is overrhyped, or that he doesn't deserve the credit his is getting. Having said that, BJ would manhandle him pretty badly. I seem to be one of the few people that think this way, but size does make a huge difference these days. Not only is BJ considerably larger than Jose, I believe his skill set in pretty much every aspect is above Aldo... the one thing Aldo would have the edge in is speed.

BJ, TKO somewhere within the first two rounds, IMO.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts