Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....But not yet.

Following WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo’s dominant victory over Urijah Faber on Saturday, UFC President Dana White suggested that the ultra talented Brazilian could become a three-division titleholder.

Before he ventures down to 135 pounds, up to 155 and over to the UFC, though, Aldo says he wants to defend his 145-pound WEC belt.

“At the moment I am still not thinking about it,” Aldo told Sherdog.com on the subject of fighting in multiple divisions. “First I have to train and defend the title a few times in my division.”

White even said that he’d heard Aldo would like to fight in the UFC, perhaps against someone like B.J. Penn.

“It is a plan for the future, but not now, just for a distant future,” Aldo said of the UFC. “I intend to fight in the UFC, absolutely. I do not believe in fighting against B.J. or anyone else (right now). Before I get there, I have to do some fights to adapt to the weight, and then I'll just see what happens.”

Aldo is 7-0 in the WEC and 17-1 overall. He is Sherdog.com’s No. 5-ranked pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Although he didn’t finish Faber on Saturday, he couldn’t have been much more dominant. He attributes the victory to his strategy: exploit Faber’s weakness of defending leg kicks.

“The strategy that my coach (Andre Pederneiras) drew up was perfect,” Aldo said. “I went in there to try to block the punches, and (use) my kicks when I had the opportunity. Thank God the strikes worked and my timing was right. Everything happened the way we planned.”

The kicks badly hobbled Faber. Yet the former 145-pound champion survived until the final bell, leaving Aldo impressed.

“Faber showed everybody that he is a warrior,” Aldo said. “He even told me later that he considered quitting a couple of times during the fight, but he was fighting at home, with the crowded arena. He is a great fighter.”

Sherdog
Like the sound of this. Hopefully he'll take on Gamburyan, beat him and move up to the UFC and the 155lb division. Beating Gamburyan would effectively clear out the 145lb division, and I think then would be the perfect time to move up, or maybe have 1 more title defence, possibly against Brown should he string a win or 2 together or even a rematch with Faber. Frankie Edgar, a natural 145'er has had massive success in the UFC, and Aldo appears to be a much more dynamic striker than Frankie, and also has his high level BJJ to fall back on. Hopefully we'll get to see Aldo move up early-mid 2011.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I think that Aldo wil beat anyone in the FW/BW division in the WEC. I would like to see him move down and fight people like Benavidez, Cruz , Bowles and Torres as well. I think that the UFC would be a challenge for him. The UFC has a deep LW division. Adding Aldo would make huge waves in that division.

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
Awesome. THe only think I really hope is that he follows in the footsteps of A. Silva in that he dominates and crushes his opponents, yet stops before reaching the point of pulling the crap pulled against Leites and Maia.

Learn a lesson from Silva, keep crushing your opponents.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Aldo v Penn is the super fight we need. Personally I see BJ retaining the belt and regaining his dominance, this should come in time for Aldo beating Gamburyan and will set up the super fight. I am very impressed by Aldo, but I can't see him beating BJ at his best.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Took the words right out of my mouth.

But but... it was a close fight... and BJ "didn't look himself"... and a lot of people thought he won... and and and...

Sorry, just getting that bs out of the way before the Penn nuthuggers jump in. :thumbsup:

Aldo is a vicious beast training at the best gym in the world. He's got the highest level Muay Thai in MMA (imo) and he's lightning fast. His BJJ is elite and honestly, it looked like he outwrestled Mike Brown.

Not only all that but he's young and insanely hungry. Bar some kind of personal problems (Vitor comes to mind) this kid is going to be the next big thing in every class below WW.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
he should fight LW in WEC 1st.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
When BJ Penn is 100% and dedicated there is no one that can beat him at 155. A fight with Aldo would be epic, but I think BJ would win.

I'm not a BJ fan (the fighter, obviously...:thumb02:) but he is a great fighter, one of the best in the world when he's 100%. His loss to Edgar allows everyone to say he isn't that good and he makes excuses, but he really didn't look 100% at 112. BJ doesn't always take his cardio serious and it has caused him problems in the past, but when he comes in ready, I don't think anyone can beat him at 155.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
LOL! I love all the sudden Bj haters.... If Bj won that Frankie fight people would most likely say that BJ would kill Aldo at LW .... Which is sad imo....

Bj today would beat Frankie and BJ tomorrow would beat Frankie and the BJ thats going to Rematch Frankie is going to be a daddy spanking his child!

Now i was there live on the Aldo vs Urijah fight and im scary impressed with Jose, but will he smash BJ because Frankie beat him? Thats a load of crap....

Will it be a epic fight that Aldo can win OBVIOUSLY but u have to give Bj the right odds and props that he deserves...

Fair weather fans make me sick...........

·
Registered
313 Posts
No you are not getting this.

The standup from BJ is not as good as that of Edgar. The standup of Aldo is better than that of Edgar and BJ and since BJ does not take opponents to the ground, Aldo will kick his ass, just like Edgar did..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.