Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
I think most, if not all referees and doctors, would stop the fight off a cut like the one on Overeem's lip. The second his lip was cut, it might've been over.

One of the most heartbreaking losses, I've ever seen.

Reem won every second of that fight, leading up to the last 10 seconds or so.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Yeah except that was at the tale end of round five so it wouldn't have mattered if the bell rang before the fight was stopped. The fight would've ended and Jairzinho would've won round five but as you mentioned Overeem would've won the four rounds before.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
I think it all comes down to whether or not the cut on Overeem's lip was an automatic stoppage.

If 10/10 doctors and referees look at a picture of that and say they would have stopped the fight. Jairzinho is winning it.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Between rounds then yes, but after the final round bell I doubt that would've been stopped. The case of Merab being stopped after the final bell because the ref thought that he passed out was a BS call. That should've gone to a decision and if it had gone to the final bell despite Overeem's exploded lip, it would've been a decision win.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
If I remember right, there was 5 to 10 seconds left in the round when it was stopped off the cut on Overeem's lip.

I agree with the Ricky Simon vs Merab call. If he was out after the bell, he probably was out a few seconds before the bell when he stopped moving his legs. That could've been a good motivational thing for Merab considering what an absolute beast he's been since then.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Yeah but if the bell has already rung after the third round in a three round fight then the fight should be over and going to the judges. Merab probably would've won that fight for the judges and he plainly got robbed from that decision to stop the fight after the bell. As for Overeem, like I said it was towards the end of round five, bell rings Overeem wins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts