Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 3197 Posts

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
Speaking of medicare. Its a poorly designed and maintained system, regularly defrauded for billions of dollars annually.

There was a guy with connections to MMA recently who tried to defraud medicare of $120+ million:

There are many in the world running the same scam. Its been a known issue for years and the government has never made a legitimate effort to do anything about it.

This is not the system america wants or needs to fix healthcare.

In my humble and puny opinion anyways.

I remember people calling me crazy 2008 - 2009 for saying obamacare didn't do anything to fix healthcare. Now we have obamcare 2.0 aka medicare for all. Same story. Does nothing to fix healthcare. Does nothing to curb big pharma's massive profit margins or hospitals charging people 20,000% price mark ups on everything.

Like obamcare, medicare for all is extremely expensive and requires numerous tax hikes which will have significant negative effects on US job markets and the economy.

The government "fixing" healthcare is like UK's government hiking taxes and spending trillions to "fix" their illegal immigration and open borders issues. Its hard for them to fix something they themselves deliberately caused. It won't happen. Ever.
You are correct, it's a system that has some flaws. That's why Bernie has stated he wants to expand/fix medicare and then make it for all. He's not just running on making it for everyone, he's running on fixing the issues with it as well. Also as I said earlier, everyone has problems. Medicare has problems, our current system has problems, Canada has problems, the UK has problems, America has problems. Everyone has problems. The question is, which system has a better pro/con ratio and what is better overall for the people of a country.

And I was there with you saying Obamacare is garbage. If you went back and look at my posts (or just ask Spite, I've had numerous debates with him on this), I've called Obamacare complete and utter trash and one of the worst things to happen to our healthcare system. But Bernie isn't suggesting Obamacare 2.0. Medicare for all isn't even close to Obamacare. Obamacare is like taking mustard and ketchup and putting it into a bowl of cereral - it simply does not work. It does not function. It's awful. Medicare for all will be like taking that bowl of cereal, adding better flavor (fixing it) and then passing it around so everybody in the country can eat from it.

Whether it works or not is up for debate. I'm not going to sit here and tell you Bernie is right or that he's the answer. But what I will say is I'm tired of the debate, and I'm tired of wondering, and sometimes grass actually is greener on the other side. So let's see.

·
Super Moderator
8,071 Posts
@M.C Sometimes you need to be brave to bring about change. A leap of faith is required by the American people, otherwise nothing will change, they will just get worse.

I thought has just dawned on me...

What happens in the States if you have health insurance but become too sick to work? For example, what if you had an accident that left you paralysed and unable to work? Would the insurance continue to give you a life time of support? In a case like this would you then become reliant on Medicare?

Oh heres something I just stole from a quora thread -

I worked in the NHS for about 8 years, so I have some insight that I'll share here.
  1. You don't need to hold health insurance in any form.
  2. You don't need to give details of your health insurance to be seen by a doctor.
  3. You may be the richest or the poorest person, but if you have a heart attack or a stroke or a bad car accident, you will only be treated in an NHS hospital. Almost no private medical facility is equipped to deal with such emergencies.
  4. You will always be treated courteously and with consideration no matter your background.
  5. You get the same great healthcare whether you pay a million in taxes per year or if you've never earned a penny in your entire life.
  6. There is no such thing as ‘pre-existing’ diseases not being covered.
  7. There is no co-pay. You don't need to pay back a fixed percentage or an excess no matter how much your treatment cost. If only car insurance were the same…
  8. You will almost never be chased by whichever company to pay money back to a hospital or insurance company.
  9. You will never become bankrupt because of steep medical bills.
  10. You will never have to sell your home to cover your medical bills.
  11. You will never fall behind on house mortgage or rent payments because you diverted money towards medical expenses.
  12. A doctor will almost never see whether you're eligible to be treated before he or she examines you.
  13. By and large, the treatment you get in one hospital is much the same as you'd get at the one in the neighbouring town or city.
  14. If you're seriously ill, or unconscious, you will never be dumped at the doorstep of a hospital by family or friend just because they know you don't have medical insurance and neither they nor you can pay for your care.
  15. You will never have to submit bills and letters to insurances companies asking them for reimbursement of your medical expenses.
  16. Your need to undergo accepted medical practice can never be turned down by some cost cutting insurance firm.
  17. An ambulance ride to hospital is completely free. You do now pay a £50 charge if it wasn't needed ie a women in labour can't unless there is an immediate risk to hers or the babies health. 10 years ago we Could phone for an ambulance for anything. Ie a broken arm now they tell you to make your own way.
  18. If you are unable to use public transport either due to handicap or poverty, you will get a free ride to your hospital appointment.
  19. You'll never fall out of medical cover just because you forgot to mail your cheque to your insurance company.
  20. You'll never fall out of medical cover just because you lost your job and your employer-paid insurance.
  21. You'll never fall out of medical cover just because you think, “What the hell, I'm perfectly healthy, why should I buy medical insurance?”
  22. You pay £8.60 per out patient medicine prescription for up to a month. That's about 12 US dollars. In England this is free if you are a child, unemployed, or a pensioner. In Scotland and Wales this is free for everybody.
  23. If you are on certain benefits (tax credits / social welfare) whether unemployed or in low paid employment you also get exemption certificates, which not only make prescriptions free but also include free dental and also free eye testing and a fixed percentage off glasses should you need them. (Thank you for this info Aaron Oxlade).
  24. Just because you live close to another country with cheaper medicines, you will never travel every month or two across the border just to buy those cheaper medicines. The only cheap border hopping shopping that the British do is a booze cruise to France.
  25. Certain chronic diseases, including cancer, entitle you to free prescriptions, so you live your life free of the emotional and financial burden that comes with having to spend so much of your income on your own health, money that you might otherwise deny your children or parents or partner.
  26. Your dependents (children, partner, elderly parents) will never fall out of medical cover because you didn't buy insurance.
  27. Just because you didn't pay medical insurance your entire working life, you won't be quoted annual medical insurance of tens of thousands of dollars now that you're old and infirm with hypertension and diabetes.

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
@M.C Sometimes you need to be brave to bring about change. A leap of faith is required by the American people, otherwise nothing will change, they will just get worse.

I thought has just dawned on me...

What happens in the States if you have health insurance but become too sick to work? For example, what if you had an accident that left you paralysed and unable to work? Would the insurance continue to give you a life time of support? In a case like this would you then become reliant on Medicare?

Oh heres something I just to from a quora thread -
If something happens and you cannot work anymore, such as paralyzed or let's say you go blind or any number of things that can happen to a person, you apply for medicare OR you apply for social security where the government hands you about $850 a month, differing amount state by state I believe, and when you are approved of social security you are automatically approved for medicare. So either way, you go right to medicare if you are disabled and cannot work. Medicare is what my mom has, which pays for literally everything (thousands of dollars worth of medical treatment a month), minus $6 for a pill she takes. 99% of Americans like medicare. Everyone is for a medical system that takes care of disabled/elderly people that cannot work. What you see in America isn't anti-medicare people, what you see are people that think that medciare should only be for elderly/disabled, and if you can work then you should pay your own way.

What Bernie wants to do is take the already existing medicare that already pays for all disabled/elderly people's health services, and expand what it does/fix some of its issues and then make it available to everyone of every age instead of only disabled/people over the age of 65. So to be clear - the program already exists and is already in place and has been in place for decades. He simply wants to expand and tweak it so that everyone gets it.

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
But Bernie isn't suggesting Obamacare 2.0.

Obamacare hiked taxes and spent trillions to do nothing to fix healthcare.

Medicare for all proposes hiking taxes and spending trillions to do nothing to fix healthcare.

They're 100% identical. Even if details seem different.

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
Obamacare hiked taxes and spent trillions to do nothing to fix healthcare.

Medicare for all proposes hiking taxes and spending trillions to do nothing to fix healthcare.

They're 100% identical. Even if details seem different.
It's quite literally different. Medicare does plan to add a currently non-existing tax on stocks and bonds (America being the only country in the world that doesn't tax these), and there will be extra tax on anyone with a net worth of over $32 million. If that's what you mean by hiking taxes, alright, noted. It is planned to fix healthcare, however, so at least that part is similar. Obamacare was awful to begin with, that's the main difference, where as medicare is actually a universally loved program that most people would be enraged about if you attempted to remove it.

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
It's quite literally different. Medicare does plan to add a currently non-existing tax on stocks and bonds (America being the only country in the world that doesn't tax these), and there will be extra tax on anyone with a net worth of over $32 million. If that's what you mean by hiking taxes, alright, noted. It is planned to fix healthcare, however, so at least that part is similar. Obamacare was awful to begin with, that's the main difference, where as medicare is actually a universally loved program that most people would be enraged about if you attempted to remove it.

If you talked to people with real life experience on medicare. You would realize many hate it. Many healthcare providers like the mayo clinic don't accept medicare on it being a terribly bloated and expensive system.

Older generations who have seen family members suffer while being on medicare which didn't cover anything at all. Are more the opposite of "universally loving" it.

Everything you heard about it doesn't amount to more than lies. The same with obamcare. Et al.

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
If you talked to people with real life experience on medicare. You would realize many hate it. Many healthcare providers like the mayo clinic don't accept medicare on it being a terribly bloated and expensive system.

Older generations who have seen family members suffer while being on medicare which didn't cover anything at all. Are more the opposite of "universally loving" it.

Everything you heard about it doesn't amount to more than lies. The same with obamcare. Et al.
That would make sense if I didn't know people on medicare, most notable both my parents that had/currently has literally zero issues whatsoever with it and have had nothing but a great experience with the program.

I haven't "heard" about anything, I've seen it first hand. It's pretty great from all I've seen.

More importantly, whatever isn't currently covered (very little), will be covered and expanded. That's the whole point.

·
The Title Guy
16,701 Posts
If we are going to bring relatives experiences, none of my relatives like Medicare and are in fact have supplemental insurance due to retirement benefits (thank God for the military) that make things a lot easier. In fact most healthcare people I have talked to (including a cousin and aunt) who are in the healthcare industry, hate both Obamacare and medicare. Also since this is a general political thread did anyone see Cenk's meltdown on TYT after Super Tuesday?

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
PTSD is an issue of the mind and like depression or other mental illnesses, medication is not always the right way to go. Oddly enough, the only thing religion is good at (warping the mind, brainwashing, etc) is effective in helping some mental disorders because it is about the mental state. Medication combined with exercises to help warp/distort the mind in a way is the best method. I have a friend that was put on medication for depression, it just made it worse. However, he started working at a seal rescue center here in town that takes care of injured seals from the harbor, and that helped a lot more. Not sure why, he isn't sure why, but basically it was just something in his life that was different. It warped his brain into being better, oddly enough. Nothing else worked, not hobbies or friends or family or anything. But working with injured seals? Boom, he felt 100 times better.

Anywho, point is, I'm all for whatever method work for helping mental illness. Religion probably is decent at it, given its brainwashing and mind warping capabilities. And no I am not being fictitious, things that help warp the mind in different ways can help mental illness. The brain is a weird thing.

·
The Title Guy
16,701 Posts
I agree that the brain is a weird thing but as a religious person I am a tad bit offended considering my religion isn't about brainwashing. I have seen people more brainwashed by militant third wave feminists, environmental doomsday predictions, and the people that created the Antifa rioters.

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
I agree that the brain is a weird thing but as a religious person I am a tad bit offended considering my religion isn't about brainwashing. I have seen people more brainwashed by militant third wave feminists, environmental doomsday predictions, and the people that created the Antifa rioters.
Religion brainwashes people, no different than the new aged feminists that you just mentioned. It would offend feminists if you said that feminism brainwashes people, which is what you just said. Anyone can be offended by anything. Religion quite literally indoctrinates people by definition of the word. I'm not hating on religion by the way, but that is the fact of the matter. In this case, I can see it helping people with certain mental illness. That's not a bad thing.

·
The Title Guy
16,701 Posts
Well it can be if the religion in question is about waging war or plain old violence like several sects of Islam and even the rare Christian denomination (Westboro Baptist *cough). Also some religions endorse playing with spirits which in most cases are not in their best interest which for someone like me who is a spiritual person is dangerous.

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
Well it can be if the religion in question is about waging war or plain old violence like several sects of Islam and even the rare Christian denomination (Westboro Baptist *cough). Also some religions endorse playing with spirits which in most cases are not in their best interest which for someone like me who is a spiritual person is dangerous.
Regardless, my point stands about religion brainwashing people and it stands about faith-based treatment for PTSD potentially being a good thing, as the mind is very odd and strange and sometimes it's easier to trick and maniuplate the brain via things like work, exercises and emotional response than it is to simply dump medication onto someone. A lot of things brainwash people, by the way, it isn't an insult to your religion. People are brainwashed about all sorts of things. Religion happens to be one of them.

It's why these days, the last year or so I guess, I typically in most cases take the stance of "I don't know" when it comes to most things that are very complicated. Even the political climate right now, I have no idea where this country should go. We've only really tested 1 side of it, and then somewhat put our toes into the other side. We don't know how this country would truly be with free health care/education/etc, we've never tried it. So my stance is - let's give it a shot so we know what's what and have tested to see what actually works or not.

Everybody has an agenda. Everyone has problems. Everyone is looking out for #1. The only thing we can do as Americans, as voters, is try everything out and see what works best for us, the people. If we only truly try 1 side of things and mostly ignore the other, then complain that shits all fucked up but then never try the other side of the spectrum, well, we as a country are bunch of god damn retards in that case in my opinion. Things are NOT well in America right now. They simply are not. They haven't been for a long, long time. Keeping the status quo might just be the dumbest thing we can do. Like dumb apes slapping the side of a rock trying to get water to come out of it. Who knows what's what until we try out all our options.

·
Super Moderator
8,071 Posts
Regardless, my point stands about religion brainwashing people and it stands about faith-based treatment for PTSD potentially being a good thing, as the mind is very odd and strange and sometimes it's easier to trick and maniuplate the brain via things like work, exercises and emotional response than it is to simply dump medication onto someone. A lot of things brainwash people, by the way, it isn't an insult to your religion. People are brainwashed about all sorts of things. Religion happens to be one of them.

It's why these days, the last year or so I guess, I typically in most cases take the stance of "I don't know" when it comes to most things that are very complicated. Even the political climate right now, I have no idea where this country should go. We've only really tested 1 side of it, and then somewhat put our toes into the other side. We don't know how this country would truly be with free health care/education/etc, we've never tried it. So my stance is - let's give it a shot so we know what's what and have tested to see what actually works or not.

Everybody has an agenda. Everyone has problems. Everyone is looking out for #1. The only thing we can do as Americans, as voters, is try everything out and see what works best for us, the people. If we only truly try 1 side of things and mostly ignore the other, then complain that shits all fucked up but then never try the other side of the spectrum, well, we as a country are bunch of god damn retards in that case in my opinion. Things are NOT well in America right now. They simply are not. They haven't been for a long, long time. Keeping the status quo might just be the dumbest thing we can do. Like dumb apes slapping the side of a rock trying to get water to come out of it. Who knows what's what until we try out all our options.
The biggest source of Brainwashing at the moment is the media. Well, religion is actually but thats more on peoples morale compass. The media tells you who to love, who to hate and who to vote for - and it is mostly never in the interests of general society. Right now, the media whipping up a frenzy about the Corona virus, its causing people to panic buy stuff they don't need and cause undue worry, all to sell some fúcking papers or generate TV add revenue.

I know the media brainwashes people because I 'religiously' used to by a copy of The Sun newspaper, I did so for 14 years. I made a conscious decision after the 2007 financial crash to never buy one again, and I haven't. After about a month of not reading any papers by political and social stance completely changed. I realised everything I'd read was mostly crap and although I thought my thoughts were my own, they were not, they were the thoughts of the newspaper. I try to tell people who religiously read the papers this, but you can't tell them, they are like members of a cult, they think you're the crazy one. Anyways my happiness went up and my anxiety went down when I stopped consuming media this way, seeing the world through your own eyes is a revelation.

As long as people follow the media god there will never be change, its why I don't believe in democracy, it's an illusion of choice. Until people can put down the papers, stop watching the TV and look around at their own town, their own family, their own friends, their neighbours and ask themselves if things can be better, only then will there be change. Until then the media will feed us bogeymen, scapegoats and other issues that are simply no concern to us, all paid for by the people who have one foot on your head while your trying to get out of the pool.

·
The Title Guy
16,701 Posts
That is why I don't watch the news very often and am consciously aware of any political message and usually role my eyes and move on. Of note is that people are becoming aware which is why several indie media sites are starting to gain traction.

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
Republicans - small government, get them out of our everything forever
Republicans when a virus hits - WHERE IN THE **** IS THE GOVERNMENT? WHAT ARE THEY DOING? WE NEED HELP!

Literally just got done talking to a friend who is a hardcore flag wielding republican who just told me he's disgusted at the slow pace the government took in regards to testing for the virus (a medical procedure, mind you) and that he's disappointed in Trump for taking such a light take early on for such a serious health problem. He's not said one word like "WHAT IN THE HELL ARE THE PRIVATE INSURANCE COMPANIES DOING? WHERE ARE THEY?" or any such thing. He goes right directly to the government for help and cries because they aren't helping in this medical issue as fast as they could have.

This whole situation has awoken some nonsense I never saw or thought about before. It's the hypocrisy that is so strange. Regardless how any of this turns out or who comes to help, be it government or private companies or whatever, the reality is these republicans (not all republicans, just these type) make a beeline straight to the government the moment a health problem breaks out, while claiming that the government should have 0 part in our health care. It's so unbelievably silly.

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
PTSD is an issue of the mind and like depression or other mental illnesses, medication is not always the right way to go. Oddly enough, the only thing religion is good at (warping the mind, brainwashing, etc) is effective in helping some mental disorders because it is about the mental state. Medication combined with exercises to help warp/distort the mind in a way is the best method. I have a friend that was put on medication for depression, it just made it worse. However, he started working at a seal rescue center here in town that takes care of injured seals from the harbor, and that helped a lot more. Not sure why, he isn't sure why, but basically it was just something in his life that was different. It warped his brain into being better, oddly enough. Nothing else worked, not hobbies or friends or family or anything. But working with injured seals? Boom, he felt 100 times better.

Anywho, point is, I'm all for whatever method work for helping mental illness. Religion probably is decent at it, given its brainwashing and mind warping capabilities. And no I am not being fictitious, things that help warp the mind in different ways can help mental illness. The brain is a weird thing.

#1 Religion

God exists. God doesn't exist. Lack of belief in God. These are all religious stances. Religion is any idea involving the supernatural, afterlife, God, deities and so on. I'll contend: contrary to popular belief it is not anti-intellectual or inherently bad to think about these topics, or have an opinion on them. And it is not a detriment to society if people have beliefs involving religion.

#2 Medication

Everyone's DNA is different and unique. Everyone responds differently to drugs. That's one reason why "take your meds and everything will be fantastic" trends towards being overrated. Drugs are a one size fits all solution for people who are different shapes and sizes.

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts

Its not so much an issue of brainwashing. The real concern is illiteracy. There are many in the world who cannot think for themselves. Who blindly believe everything they see on TV.

People made fun of Floyd Mayweather not being able to read. The sad truth is most are far more illiterate on topics of economics, business, finance, taxes, politics than someone who can't read.

Those types wouldn't know what they should think, or how they should feel. If the mainstream media wasn't beating them over the head with headline narratives that might or might not be true.

Listening to things people say. Sometimes you realize they're repeating word for word the views they got from the media. That type of blind faith is far more dangerous than religion or belief in a God. By far.

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
#1 Religion

God exists. God doesn't exist. Lack of belief in God. These are all religious stances. Religion is any idea involving the supernatural, afterlife, God, deities and so on. I'll contend: contrary to popular belief it is not anti-intellectual or inherently bad to think about these topics, or have an opinion on them. And it is not a detriment to society if people have beliefs involving religion.

#2 Medication

Everyone's DNA is different and unique. Everyone responds differently to drugs. That's one reason why "take your meds and everything will be fantastic" trends towards being overrated. Drugs are a one size fits all solution for people who are different shapes and sizes.
Correct, and being anti-religious is the stance that religions are bad. I mean it is a religious stance, same as saying Nazi's are bad is a stance on Nazi's. Just so we are clear, saying you are against Nazi's doesn't make you a Nazi because you have an opinion on Nazi's. Being an atheist or anti-religious person does not mean you are part of an "atheist religion", which is in itself an oxymoron and a pretty dumb thing to say to anyone with an IQ over like, 5. But yes, having a stance on religion is a religious stance, either for or against. Being a part of one or not being a part of one. A pro stance or an anti stance.

As for medication, you are right there as well. For many pure medication works, for some medication only hurts, for some medication + other forms of treatment works, for some only other forms of treatment works, and for some nothing seems to work. That's' why I'm all for as many methods of aid for mental illness as possible. So long as it genuinely helps I'm cool with it, faith based or medication based or just like my friend working at a seal recovery center.

3161 - 3180 of 3197 Posts